Sign in to follow this  
dRaGGin loW

Electrical Issue

Alright So as of the past 2 months I've been having really odd electrical issues.

Like my voltagge wouldnt stay up and like my battery would die quite often.

So i drive over to a friends and we change my alternator and throw the battery from his blazer in and everything was good. Well I got my system in and I was getting sick of having no bump!!!! So i throw my yellow top back in (biggest POS in my eyes) and everything was fine... Up until last week. I was driving home and i looked down at my factory volt gauge and i noticed it was hovering around 12 volts. So i was like oh sh*#. I push the gas more so the tranny will downshift and get more rotation on the alternator. Doesnt work. So I continue driving as my main goal is to get home ASAP.

It shoots back up to 14v O.o So im like wtfm8! I continue driving and almost home it drops back down AGAIN! But.... it comes back up to 14 within like 30 seconds this time.

I was driving down to my friends like 2 days ago and my interior volt gage (seperate noe) was at 11.4!!!!! while driving! It stayed this for the stretch of 795. (maryland members will know) Well let me back up. I took a turn on the onramp and as i was turning i looked down and it dropped! So i get on 695. Hit the as to merge and get down to my friends fast so we can look at my truck it jumps BACK up!!!!

So im getting ticked. It does this 2 more times until i arrive.

Somehow it holds voltage and starts up when i leave. and we didnt get to work on my truck at all that night :( It does the SAME THING like about 5 times on my way home. Yesterday i went to get sodas and my interior was charging at a clean 14v and my battery looekd to be around 14.4-15 somewhere in there.

what the F is going on with my blazer? Its a brand new alternator so it cant be that can it? Would a new battery help this stuff at all?

Yellow Tops are great batts...

I suggest u put the blame elsewhere a batt is only as good as your alt...

or ur going to constantly drain it.

its a brand new alternator thats the thing :(

its a brand new alternator thats the thing :(

Take it to AutoZone to get it diagnosed it may be a problem with it and you not know it.

No battery light comes on. That triggers like around 9 volts i believe.

I have a digital volt gauge that reads from the fusebox and thats the one that was reading 11.4 and the factory one was looowwwwwwww Like i was worried about stalling out on the highway

have you noticed any constants here when it drops out, such as going around corners, hitting bumps , ect. ect. obviously if its coming and going the regulator in the alt works, but could be losing connection or it could aslo possibly be hear related internally in the alt that the regulator is shutting down. stranger things have happened. luckily for you that shouldnt be a computer controlled one. those can get fun to chase issues like this...

it was only the 1 instant where i turned on the highway that it dropped from that point to the next onramp.

Every other time its on a smooth road just cruising along and then im like wtf!!!!!!

I thought it was my old alternator at first but i guess not since it came back :(

Do you think the battery could do this????? If its like done. I mean this ones like 3 years old

batteries can cause an alt to stop putting out amperage if they dont appose a load that needs to be charged, but the static 13.6-14.4 voltage shouldnt be dropping out. thats a sign that the alt has shut down and that the regulator is not getting its turn on power request or that the regulator is turning off. what i am wondering is if there is possibly a rubbed spot in the wire going to the regulator and its being grounded there for killing the regulator.

just had a thought, we do this kinda crap all the time here at work looking for odd crap, hook up a dmm (or a vantage if ya have one) to the regulator feed wire right at the plug and sit the dmm in the car with you( long leads needed obviously) and go drive around trying to get the damn thing to cut of and watch the voltage on that line. that will definatly tell you a little more as to your situattion. if ya loose power on that line, you dknow where to start, if ya dont loose it when the voltage goes to hell, take that alt back to where ya got it and get another.

Edited by kandiman

what year blazer is this anyway, i'll pull a wiring diagram and junction location just in case ya need it off alldata

Edited by kandiman

lets see if this helps

plug.jpg

diagram.jpg

messed with this code long enough, drop me an email addy and i'll send ya the chit

Edited by johnecon2001

thanks dude, tried messing with it a few different ways and it wouldnt post the chit

yea all night i had no trouble with it! this is ticking me off!!!!

well incase you decide to dive into it, here are the links to the actual pics

http://www.djkandiman71874.com/plug.JPG

http://www.djkandiman71874.com/diagram.JPG

i'm gonna be at a USACI event for part of the day and didnt want ya left hangin if ya needed a little cleaner pic to look at the diagrams

Peace Out

Kandi

have you had time to do the big 3? if it is a problem with your factory wiring like someone said about it shorting out, the big 3 will eliminate that problem. or atleast help you to narrow it down.

have you had time to do the big 3? if it is a problem with your factory wiring like someone said about it shorting out, the big 3 will eliminate that problem. or atleast help you to narrow it down.

wires i was refering to shorting out are the ones that feed the regulator the turn on signals, those have nothing to do with the big 3

i havent touched the big 3 yet cause i dont have 0 guage lyin around only 4 (bleh).

Thanks for the replies and help so far guys. I looked at that plug today and the wires seem to be pulled pretty tight off tot he side of the harness. So i think the connection has to be bad somewhere :?