Sign in to follow this  
Unrthdxdream

I need help with an idea

So I am tired of my crappy computer speakers and i want to build an MT set myself, passive crossovers and all if I can figure out how, the soldering doesn't scare me cause I've built a headphone amp before. I want some decent cheaper components that I could use in my room maybe on my desk. I was looking at a tweet and woofer that I could use in a cabinet and then maybe in a year or two when I need to move into a new place (and need bigger home speakers) I could throw the speakers from the MT setup into my car and run active. I was looking at the mids and tweet on this page http://www.timbre-audio.com/SeasStandard.html

I like those prices hahah and I know more of the cost will come from the prices of the crossover components. Other than that I would love any suggestions you guys have.. Its just the start of an idea lol

Thanks

Check out zaphaudio.com...he takes the standard MT design and really runs with it :)

Check out zaphaudio.com...he takes the standard MT design and really runs with it :)

i think i have read that enitre site. thank you so much :)

that looks like a great site right now but im gonna have to sober up before i read all that hahah!

humblehomemadehifi.com is another good resource...

as well as Parts Express' projects page.

humblehomemadehifi.com is another good resource...

as well as Parts Express' projects page.

oooh i really like those parts express pages... there are some pretty cheap designs there. i think im gonna build me some speakers!

htguide.com has some nice plans as well, but Jon's crossovers are a bit expensive.

When pricing things do realize that on average crossover cost = driver cost. The more exotic the driver (alum, mag, other hard cones) will up the price of the crossover significantly. If you are looking for a true budget build get something easy to work with like the Seas CA18RNX or other paper driver, of course there aren't any "kits" I can recommend with them but they would be pretty easy to work with.

Oh, don't use one of those Neo drivers for a tweet either. You have space so go large format!

mmmk how well do you think the mid tweet you are using in your truck would do in a bookshelf setup? how would i figure out what kind of crossover i needed to build is there a guide somewhere since its not used in a kit?

what kind of amp should i look for for this lil setup? im talking to a guys selling a Linn LK2 and a Alesis RA-100 amp locally.. are they decent? what names should i look for.

I too also got tired of my el cheapo computer speakers. I ended up doing what I refer to as my "desktop towers"... Or some simple MTM's. I went with the Dayton Reference 6"s, paired to a Dayton silk dome, and used one of the PE passive crossovers, powered off of a Behringer A500. The system is far from finished, but operational and a 1000X improvement over my old speakers. I'm thinking a small sub and an active crossover will be the next steps.

I spent more on the setup than I really wanted to so far, but it's steps towards a much better system, but considering my profession, and the amount of time I'm behind the computer and listening to music, I can justify it.

mmmk how well do you think the mid tweet you are using in your truck would do in a bookshelf setup? how would i figure out what kind of crossover i needed to build is there a guide somewhere since its not used in a kit?

what kind of amp should i look for for this lil setup? im talking to a guys selling a Linn LK2 and a Alesis RA-100 amp locally.. are they decent? what names should i look for.

I would up to at least a full size tweet. I am not a huge fan of the LPG on axis, off axis it is impressive though.

Considering the Seas is such an easy driver to work with you could probably get away with just 1st order slopes on a crossover. It would still require that you make some measurements, so it will depend on your savy in that regard. It will also depend on your expectations. Realistically, I think you would probably be better off either copying one of Zaph's designs or J. Marsh's (HTguide) and just go with it.

I forgot the "sean" question. Do you have a budget?

I haven't had the chance to use them yet, but I'm getting ready to do a budget build for someone's rear channels, and I'm going to use Dayton DA175's (7" driver) in a MT arrangement with a yet undecided tweeter. At $18/piece it's worth it to test 'em out. (for me at least)

I forgot the "sean" question. Do you have a budget?

id like to do speakers under 250 including crossovers. if i dropped 120 on a pair of the Seas CA18s (thats the only price ive seen) would i have enough left over in my budget for a decent tweet and crossover? if the crossover for the Seas is easy hopefully that means cheap too. hahah. i dont have a mic or software so my measuring capabilities are non-existent right now.

i have been lurking over at HTguide and am watching this thread for developments http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.ph...age=1&pp=35

also i really like the look of these from PE showcase http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/encore/index.cfm

and these http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/vd/vd.htm

which of those would be easier/better to run active in my car in a year or so when i need some new speakers for my living room that i dont have yet? or if i dont run them in my car which would be better to cross with a sub later down the road?

thekl0wn how much did your whole MTM setup run if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by Unrthdxdream

For the speakers...

4 X RS150-4's (Dayton Reference 6" non-shielded) @ $26.84/ea = $107.36

2 X DC28F-8's (Dayton 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter non-shielded) @ $15.50/ea = $31.00

2 X Dayton XO2W (Dayton 2,500hz crossover) @ $16.00/ea = $32.00

1 X sheet of 3/4" MDF @ about $20.00 sheet = $20

2 X Binding Posts (BPA-38SN) @ 6.88/set = $13.76

Total: around $205

I had all the wire, solder, paint, grill guides, glue, caulking, T-nuts, allen's head bolts, etc. already, so that saved me a few coins. All-in-all, I'm happy with them as-is, but it's not like me to keep something the same for very long. I'm really wanting to go active on the crossover as well, so that's gonna be some money tied up!

With $250 personally I don't think you can afford the CA's. In particular with no measurement capability; however, I don't really mean a mic but you need a function generator (a CD with lots of tones will work) and a DMM at least along with a reference resistor.

I will repeat what I said and say you should find an already done speaker that fits in your budget and build it. It will be superior to what you kluge together for the same money. I do also think it is a mistake to use an off the shelf crossover, a big mistake but at least at the price Lee paid he can throw them away and not worry about it so much when the time comes to make them right.

Even with a simple crossover, the parts for the crossover are typically near the price of the drivers. Going with a simple paper driver will help but with a budget of $250 I'd expect to spend no less than $100 on crossover parts and use $150 on drivers. This won't include the box or any other materials of course.

edit: I didn't read the htguide thread since it was 11 pages. In the past few months I have spent no time there as I have other projects on the mind and only so much forum time.

In comparison to what I had before, the MTM's I threw together are far superior. I've only began the actual tone testing of the speakers, and the weaknesses are starting to show. The $32 was well worth it to me to get them up and going, and they will probably remain in the shop for testing new setups after I get a better crossover for the current setup.

As Sean said, go with something that's been tested already. Most of my builds for myself come out of pure curiousity... Some have turned out well, and as expected, others haven't... If you don't have the time and money then your best bet is to go with a tested and respected design... Now if someone could just give me that speech!

so that's gonna be some money tied up!

But having active capability gives you so much more flexibility in individual components; count it as money you won't be spending on fixed passive Xovers :P

so that's gonna be some money tied up!

But having active capability gives you so much more flexibility in individual components; count it as money you won't be spending on fixed passive Xovers :P

But if you think about starting going active... Don't half-ass it, get what you want at the beginning. It'll cost more money to upgrade than it will to buy what you want outright.

Active is kickass.... :D