Sign in to follow this  
Audio Junkies

Sundown Home Audio Amplifiers?

Jacob, any chance of us seeing Sundown home audio amps in the future?

I know you make some great bang for the buck car audio amps and I'd love to see that carried over to the home audio side of things.

I would love to :) I absolutely want to do Home Audio in the future. Nick @ SI has done several home audio projects with his woofers and being that we work together on so many things this will very likely happen down the line.

This certainly is not near-term... but eventually is something that I'll try to move into.

I'd love to see more amps in the vein of Adcom or Parasound - no preamps, no fancy processing onboard, just a straight gain block. Maybe a matching preamp could be made.

A complete Sundown two-channel seperates system for under $1200 or so?

Hells yes :)

I'd love to see more amps in the vein of Adcom or Parasound - no preamps, no fancy processing onboard, just a straight gain block. Maybe a matching preamp could be made.

Indeed... I'll have to track down a reputable factory to make home equipment for me. I'd like to use a very similar output stage to my SAX amps as they perform extremely well and people love them.

I've got plenty of time, it would be a few years before I could make a line of home amps :)

Now... I'd like to make powered home subs before then in association with SI. Nick and I have been thinking about making powered MAG subs for Home use for years.

Now... I'd like to make powered home subs before then in association with SI. Nick and I have been thinking about making powered MAG subs for Home use for years.

That's a market that could use some shaking up.

Maybe a Mag-loaded one to go after SVS and REL, and a BM one to take on Hsu's offerings...

That's a market that could use some shaking up.

Maybe a Mag-loaded one to go after SVS and REL, and a BM one to take on Hsu's offerings...

The new BM sounds awesome, by the way, Jim :) We did some sealed listening yesterday... it was great. Our sealed box was a bit large so mechanical power handling was low (it was hitting 16mm+ with 250 watts)... it had great low-end extension for a 10" driver and was very clean and tight -- blended well with the fronts. We couldn't judge output so much as my current sub-box was kind of blocking effective entry into the cab as we sat this box in behind it in my trunk.

I will be thermally testing it today or tomorrow... torture test style.

And yah... Nick and I agree. The Mag should destroy most offerings out there today... especially anything reasonably sized. It simply sounds fantastic in a home setup... Nick paired a Mag 15 with his line arrays and that sounded amazing.

If I may add something for a moment....

If you go the powered subwoofer route (which is simply a great idea), maybe add an onboard EQ system or something similar. Kevin Haskins of DIYCable/Exodus Audio has an OEM solution in place at very affordable rates that is all analog. Here's a quote from him that I still have:

The system has a measurement system with a mic and it interfaces with a PC for viewing room measurement (in-car measurements), and it has several bands of PEQ that is both user adjustable and can be set-up for Auto-EQ via the system. It can do a Linkwitz transform, rumble filter of choice and just about anything else you need in the analog signal processing world. All software adjustable on the fly and without any DSP work. Its all analog..

edit: This is also something that can be used on a full range design as well.

+1

I absolutely love my Adcom GFA-555 II. Wouldn't mind seeing something similar with a Sundown logo on it. :)

Mmmmmm..... powered Mags. I'm actually leaning towards using a couple of them in the house myself.

Sign in to follow this