Sign in to follow this  
KU40

KU40

So I need some testimonials. I've read most of the threads related to them on here, I just want MORE! nah not too much. I've just gotta nut up and do it.

I'm thinking about putting a 15D2 in a 3.0-3.5 cubic foot ported box, one tune to 32 hz or so, another to 45 or so. How much port area does this sub like?

Also, I'm a fan of quick, tight bass. Will this setup deliver for me? I'm forward-facing it in my trunk, and sealing off behind it. I was just a little worried because the group delay is 2.5 times that of my current setup of four sealed flat cone ED 12K's. And the Le on the D2 seems high, but does it make a difference if the sub is wired in series or parallel? looks like in their specs they have it in series, so I was just wondering.

Thanks to all who respond. except those who just like to post whore. you just suck

The Mag has never modeled well in WinISD...and the in-car response seems to yield far better results than what is shown on paper. The Mag however, does like a box more around the 4 cube area for a ported application (on paper again..so who the hell knows!?!?)..I would be eager to hear any results you may have if you do indeed decide to purchase one.

My experiences...

2 12's in 4 cubes tuned to 28hz....REALLY FREAKIN LOUD...and it didn't really peak...I was surprised to say the least...

2 12's in 3.5 cubes sealed....NO PEAK..still pretty loud....but in an SQ setup...sounds absolutely BRILLIANT

She loves power....and she only talks to you when she's a bit upset....

Port area..I only gave my 2 12's 40sq in...and I think I was choking them a bit...try playing with 50-60 for fun :) ...this may be a good question for Loyd...

thanks for the response. I was kinda worried it would like a box closer to 4 cubes, but I'm worried because I think I can only fit about a 4 cube box before displacement. And if you say to try 50 sq. inches, that'll make for an awfully long port which'll displace quite a bit of my room. with my calculations, I may only be able to give it 35 or so. that would leave me with 3.5 cubes after displacement.

I'm gonna power it with my Crossfire BMF 1000D, so it'll get 1000+ watts.

oh, and i'm not too worried about the response graph winISD gives me. I was just worried about group delay and the semi-high Le of the driver affecting how tight it sounds. plus I don't know if facing forward helps or worsens the accuracy

Edited by KU40

50 may or may not be too much...you just gotta play with it I guess...no MAGICAL number for it really...try 35..

The driver is sickly efficient and accurate...you will have no problems..I assure you of this :)

na I had a maggy 15 in a 3.2 cubic ft enclosure tuned to 34hz and only had 25 square inches of port (5x5 square port) and it was plenty of port for the single 15" and DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNN it got loud. You want a sub that sounds quick and tight this will be your baby. A single 15" ported is as loud as alot of dual 15" setups I've heard with equal power! i just love the sound ported and sealed. Both sound absolutely incredible but yeah sealed was best, but I should have tuned lower to see the full potential of the sub ported but i didn't have time.

na I had a maggy 15 in a 3.2 cubic ft enclosure tuned to 34hz and only had 25 square inches of port (5x5 square port) and it was plenty of port for the single 15" and DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNN it got loud. You want a sub that sounds quick and tight this will be your baby. A single 15" ported is as loud as alot of dual 15" setups I've heard with equal power! i just love the sound ported and sealed. Both sound absolutely incredible but yeah sealed was best, but I should have tuned lower to see the full potential of the sub ported but i didn't have time.

Now that right there is an interesting situation. After changing the design in my buddy's Camaro, I now only have 3.3 cubes which of course I was going to seal, but perhaps this puppy can handle the small vented enclosure hmm??? Dammit, back to the drawing board.

Yeah, 3.3 is my net also.

well this all sounds promising. thanks fellars.

Now I just have to think of a box design. the opening to my trunk from behind my seat is only about 13" tall, though the back deck raises up a little behind it (has a lip on the front). not sure if it's tall enough, though, so I might have to slant the box a little. not really what i wanted to do at all.

ku40 ive talked to you before i think. anyway i live near ku (wellsville actually) 30 min away and you can listen to my 2 mag d2 12's any time i have them powered with a re35.1d right now i need to finish my 29hz tune but even with a 36 hz tune they arent overly peaky. i have jl xr 3 ways to so they should be similar to your setup. Ive been wanting to here your stuff some time too i got one of my buddies onto ED and he has the 2002 12" kd4 and i have the same exept 15"s also.(the subs are 2002 and i just installed it for the first time last week. :blink: any way jst post here if you are interested.

ku40 ive talked to you before i think. anyway i live near ku (wellsville actually) 30 min away and you can listen to my 2 mag d2 12's any time i have them powered with a re35.1d right now i need to finish my 29hz tune but even with a 36 hz tune they arent overly peaky. i have jl xr 3 ways to so they should be similar to your setup. Ive been wanting to here your stuff some time too i got one of my buddies onto ED and he has the 2002 12" kd4 and i have the same exept 15"s also.(the subs are 2002 and i just installed it for the first time last week. :blink: any way jst post here if you are interested.

PICS! ;)

oh yeah brass monkey i'd love to. problem is.....I live in Hays for the summer. And I was gonna do this project in the next month or two. so I wouldn't have my ED stuff when I got back, and I wouldn't be able to hear yours before I get back either. but afterwards if I have my 15D2, we can compare to your 12's. I also have JL XR's in front, but just the 2 way comps.

well looks like the 15" should be able to stand upright in there. it's very close, though, haha. and it looks like I'll end up with about 3.8 cubes and 40 square inches of port

oooh, sending a money order for the 15D2 tomorrow! After it gets in, the real fun begins. building the box, hoping it fits, then sealing off the trunk. might end up sawing some metal off the front of my back deck so it doesn't obstruct the front of the sub or port. yippee

Edited by KU40