Sign in to follow this  
mikecdm

A little Frustrated

So I just filled my box with polyfill and I do all my connections. Then I connect the amp to the box, throw the fuse in, and jump in the car in anticipation of some wonderful sounds. To my disappointment, the music sounds exactly as it did prior to installing the subs.

My first guess is that the amp isn't connected properly and is not powering up. Upon inspection the amp is turned on.

It's a bit late and I'm too tired to start taking things apart. I'm pretty sure all the wiring is secure. I'm just hoping that the screws I used aren't the problem. I will feel like an idiot they are the problem. Instead of using a those fancy speaker terminals I used some bolts that I stuck through the box as my terminals. Could it be that they are not conductive? Both the speakers are connected to the bolt on the inside of the box using those crimp on loop connector things. The cable is connected to the speaker with the female connector things. I"m using more of the loop things on the outside of the box, and that cable is going directly to the amp.

I"m pretty sure the connectors are secure and I must have some bad luck if both speakers were not connected properly. They didn't move at all which makes me think its either the screws or that my amp might not be working properly. It turns on but I don't know if its actually doing anything. Is there a way to check if the amp is putting out any power?

Well, thats it for my little rant. Just wanted to vent a little and ask for a little advice. This is the first time this happens to me, but it's also the first time I build a box.

I'd try swapping out the bolts. Most bolts nowadays have a protective coating to help prevent rusting and all that good stuff; however it also severely limits its ability to conduct electricity as well.

You can got he simple way and just hook a speaker you have laying around and see if it works. If it does, your amp is more then likely god. If not, then yeah, you have an amp problem.

A recent thread revealed mismarked terminals on a sub. Try a 9v battery to your terminals, see if it pops. If not, swap the leads and see if that works.

A recent thread revealed mismarked terminals on a sub. Try a 9v battery to your terminals, see if it pops. If not, swap the leads and see if that works.

All so dont forget to turn the sub/amp settings up on your head unit, iv done that one a couple times to.

You can got he simple way and just hook a speaker you have laying around and see if it works. If it does, your amp is more then likely god. If not, then yeah, you have an amp problem.

I think thats where I'm going to start. It seams like the easiest step to do without having to take much apart. Then I'll have to work my way down, and try all the other suggestions. How ever, I have a feeling it might be the bolts. Hopefully I find out in a little bit what the problem is.

After conducting my first test, the results prove that my amp still works and the problem is somewhere in the box.

Bypass the bolts with wires and see if the subs start playing; if so, the bolts need to be swapped.

Bypass the bolts with wires and see if the subs start playing; if so, the bolts need to be swapped.

Thanks, that was going to be my second test. But once I took the box out of the trunk I found the problem. I feel so dumb right now. One of the cables that was connected to the bolts came loose and slipped out of the connector thing. OF course I'm not going to get any sound with just one cable connected.

Once I fixed that all was good. Now I just have to adjust the amp, which I'm not good at and try to find a way to where my trunk doesn't rattle so much. I'm not going to do any sound deadening because the car is a lease and is going back soon. I'll probably have to just choose, more bass and rattles or vice versa.