Sign in to follow this  
stratusrt01

Decided to go back to the basics

Going to start on my semi-SQ build today. Can't really call it a true SQ build as of now because of a few things that I'm sure will be pointed out by the SQ guys on here.

Headunit: Pioneer deh-7800mp

EQ: Rockford Fosgate Symmetry

Amp: Sundown SAX-100.4

Mids and Highs: 2 sets of CDT EF-61CF's

CDT Imaging mid-tweeters in the A pillars

Subs: Sundown SD-1 12's

Enclosure: Chambered Transmission line tuned to provide a nearly flat curve from 20-65hz.

Gonna get started on the build this evening, and on Tuesday my Termlab should be here, and I'll get some base numbers, even though, as you can tell, this isn't going to be a ground shaker. My RTA should be here soon, and then we'll get it tuned in as good as possible, and I'll post the curves.

Edited by stratusrt01

If you must use two sets of components, I would drop the tweeters on one of the sets & run dual mids w/one set of tweets & the upstage tweeters. Where are all of these drivers going?

Not ideal in my mind, but I digress. I would much rather see dual 6.5" midbass (or single 8), a midrange wide bandwidth driver in the kick & upstage tweeters to bring the stage height up.

If you must use two sets of components, I would drop the tweeters on one of the sets & run dual mids w/one set of tweets & the upstage tweeters. Where are all of these drivers going?

Not ideal in my mind, but I digress. I would much rather see dual 6.5" midbass (or single 8), a midrange wide bandwidth driver in the kick & upstage tweeters to bring the stage height up.

the future plans include going with a pair of CDT M6's in the kicks for midbass. (had them before), I know the imaging isn't going to be perfect, which is why I said it wasn't a true SQ build, but with the time alignment, I should be able to straighten it out enough to sound good enough, since this is my daily driver. I've actually been debating on not hooking up the tweeters for the 2nd set that are in the sails, since they are too far away from the rest of the speakers anyways. Once I get them playing, I'll make that final decision.

DSC01662.jpg

Really, the driver's that are playing the midrange frequencies (the most information) should be in the kicks to minimize path length differences, and the midbass, which is less localizable (new word?), in the doors, or other locations.

I agree totally, but it's very hard to balance out sound vs. show factor. That's why I originally said I couldn't call it a true SQ build because of inherent flaws in the layout, but when you're trying to achieve a balance between show and sound, something has to give. I'm sure the imagining won't be flawless, far from it actually, but it should sound better than 90% of the crap that I have to hear on a daily basis.

You could really do better than the CDT's for midbass, not exactly their strong suit and if you are going dedicated you might as well do it right :)

I will take Scott's recommendations one step further and tell you to scrap the imaging tweeters as well. IMO they take away way more than they add. Of course when you turn around and add a dedicated midbass I think its super crazy to have 2 component sets. It really isn't that hard for the midrange to keep up and having multiple sources will not benefit your sound at all.

Since you are just starting perhaps think about switching it all out. Dual midbass in the doors (or even better a single one that is a monster), midrange in the kick with your tweeters and that should be more than plenty.