Sign in to follow this  
terra

Buzz

so im beginning to start the process of adding a sub to my ht setup. so far i have a Arcam alpha 5 plus CD player, amp, and tuner..first problem i have is hooking the tv up to the reciever. ive tried going from TV out to Video on the reciever. ive tried from the VCR ( cable runs through the VCR) and tried through the DVD player...idk why but everytime i connect to the reciever the speakers start making a quiet buzzing sound. not noticeable during music but when between tracks its clearly heard and its annoying. how do i make it stop? and where would i connect an amp for a sub?

Sounds like you've got a ground loop...there are adapters that you can plug into the cable line to break the loop there, or you can try it on the AC side.

As for your second question, you can run a plate amp using the high level inputs off the amp directly. Although if you have a 5.1 receiver (which I would assume since you said this was an HT setup), it would already have a low-level sub output.

i was told i need a converter on the power plug to change the ground...now my question is do i want it on the dvd player or on the tv? ill only be using the stereo when watching dvds...

excuse my lack of home knowledge..im used to car audio

Try switching the polarity on your ac feed. (ie flip the plug you put into the outlet around). You can either ground off the extra protection to prevent that or get a polarity switching plug. The other option is a power conditioner, but regularly it isn't necessary.

Try switching the polarity on your ac feed. (ie flip the plug you put into the outlet around). You can either ground off the extra protection to prevent that or get a polarity switching plug. The other option is a power conditioner, but regularly it isn't necessary.

how can i flip the plug around...mine only fits in 1 way...