Sign in to follow this  
Sturchionix

questions for 12" or 15" with 1000-1500wrms

Hello everyone, i just had a few quick questions. My friend recently bought 2 kicker comp. vr series 12" subs i believe they were, and hes running them off of a 600 watt amp, i dont know the name of it tho or the specific stats. His car sounds lovely from the inside and outside. I keep telling everyone about stereointegrity and to buy their subs but none of my friends listen to me... they all think im dumb because i dont have one yet(due to lack of funds), and so they dont believe me when i tell them what it can really do and they think im just bullsh*tting. i want to show them and make them jelous. (thats not a main priority of mine to getting this sub, but it would be nice.) my main goal is to have maybe like a 60 or 65% SQ and 40 or 35% SPL. A am either going to get the hyfonix brutus bx1000d or bx1500d, or i left my options open to the elemental design NINe.1 which is on sale right now for $250.00 and does 1200x1 @ 1 ohm, 800x1 @ 2 ohm, 400x1 @ 4 ohm RMS. I was just wondering the best combination to be like atleast twice as loud as my friends kickers, but a hell of alot tighter and percise in SQ. is it better to say i only have one 12 and this is what my one little 12 can do, and just laugh cause everyone will be jelous? or should i really go for the 15, and will it be just as tight, but louder?, (running off of the same amp of course as the 12 would have been) as far as the box goes, i dont want anything over 2.5 or 3 at the most cubic ft. weather ported or sealed. hope i didnt forget anything, thanks for all of your help, hope to hear from you guys soon, c u L8r

ps i drive a 1997 saturn sc2 if that matters, and have the kenwood mp 822 or whatever its model number is. (the 3d motorizes mask)

~dan

pps also my bro has an ed12a running off of a tsunami 1200w amp. i also want to be louder and tighter than his sub if at all possible. i am very open to ideas and suggestions, also if any knows where i can get a tsunami amp or if they will start makin em again thad be cool.... once again, thanks alot guys.... peace

Go with the 12 and vent it in between 2.5 and 3 and you should be good.

:lol:

pps also my bro has an ed12a running off of a tsunami 1200w amp. i

tell him to be carefull wt it...lol

but seriously a bigger box will make the sub louder and more wattasge will make the sub louder period.. venting also helps :boink:

One of our 12's vented in anything larger than 2 cubes after displcement will be awesome. A 15 sealed will also be really cool.

It's always neat to have people ask me "that's two 12's right" or "you mean it's vented...there's no way it can be sealed" when you're running a single 12 with 8 awg power wire and 600 watts (what we did at the '02 IASCA finals).

thank you guys so much for your help... i will def get the 12 then, but as far as the amp goes, i have a saturn, they come stock with 80 amp alternators :( should i just replace the magic 3 ((wires)battery, ground alt.) and whatnot? would a capacitor/extra battery be my best bet (if so what size) or should i just spend another 250$ on an upgrade alternator that does 150 amps... after this is all figured out, is it worth the extra 100 or 150$ or so to get the bx1500d as opposed to the bx1000d? how much louder would this really get the sub in a 2.5 or 3 ft cubic box.... or should i just settle with the NINe.1 (1100wrms) from elemental designs? this is my one and only doing, once i get this sub and amp it has to last me for the next 3 or more years as i wont be able to get anything else, nor will i let myself. so i want to do it right. thanks for ur help, hope to hear from ya,

~dan

Cap will be useless. As for an extra battery, remember that little alt will be working extra hard to carry the added load and try charging another battery. I woudl get the best amp within your budget and then see how it works. If an upgrade in the electrical department is necessary, then do that. You just never no though. Your stock system may handle it fine.

man I would get the 15" and seal or port it. THAT will definitely be ALOT louder than his kickers, 12" would be too, but the 15" is much more efficient, and let me tell you, it has the precision of a 10" IMO. And obviously its going to have alot more low end.

From experience, my brother and I both run Hifonics Brutus BX1500D's with our SI Magnum D2 12's. He has a 2.5cu box slot ported/tuned to 32hz. I have a 2.4cu box ported/tuned to 28hz. They are both louder than anything that anyone near us has. Everyone asks us if we're running dual 15's, or something crazy like that. Plus, the SQ is really nice. I cannot wait to try my D2 sealed.

BTW, there should not be a $100-150 difference between BX1000 and BX1500's prices. The BX1000 is $219 + shipping on eBay, and the BX1500 is $254 + shipping on ebay. I know that not everyone loves eBay, but if you buy smart, you should be fine. Most come with a non-DOA warranty, and some with a 1 year warranty. I have yet to run into a bad BX1500D from eBay.

Yeah... so that's my $.02

T.J.

awesome, cant wait for my cash to start flowin... please do let me know how the sealed box works out for you as opposed to you and your brothers ported boxes. hopefully ill be up n runnin in about a month or so :)

hey tobs i got a question, between you and your brother:

who has the loudest?

who has the deepest?

and who has the better sq?

the reason i am asking is becuase i want to run a mag with a bx1500d

My brother has a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so his sub hits a bit louder/deeper whatever you want to call it.

I am more conservative with my gains, and I am geared more toward SQ, and my box is tuned a bit lower, I would say that my setup has better SQ. I'm also in a 2000 Dodge Stratus with the subwoofer in the sealed trunk.

T.J.

BTW: the BX1500D + SI MAG D2 is a great combo.

Edited by tobz