Sign in to follow this  
///M5

18" BTL on fast-bass rock

hmm, title only. perhaps you should understand the application of the driver better, it will be loud but...

edit: first time that I have ever posted first in a thread that I didn't make

:turkey:

Hey guys, as we speak my 18" BTL's on its way (with all the bells n whistle that it can have...daily, D2, 3rd mag, upgraded coil, cooling, etc.). I will be making a 6 cu ft box tuned to 32 htz for it. My question is how it will handle fast-paced bass notes such as heavy metal...will that big of a cone be able to keep up?

And if anyone reading this has a 18" BTL, could you download 'Reigning Blood - Slayer' (intense song) and listen to it at moderate volume and tell me if it can even keep up with the double-bass it has in it? Any input on this will be a great help. Thanks

I think you ordered the wrong driver in the Fi lineup...

*shudders*

You only need one size of sub for the subbass. Mixing them is a horrible, horrible, horrible idea.

A sealed Q or two would have been a better choice...

Nothing to do with speed at all, but you are missing the point of the driver completely. It is made for SPL. Fast rock bass has nothing to do with SPL at all. Sort of like asking how well a pro-street dragster will drive down the street.

Not if you u tune them to diff frequencies...the 8's will be tuned to higher mid-bass...the 10's will be tuned low...but ill have both the 10's amp and the 18's amp wire to switches so i can turn them on/off depending on the music im listening to...fast-paced=switching off 18 and on the 10's...ive got it under control...everyone flips out about the diff sized subs...ive got it under control

Edited by YAINT-BMPIN

You really do not want to mix sub sizes--SUPER BAD IDEA.

edit: I merged the topics so there is only one, please don't add another: confusing enough to read now that there are two separate conversations but all the info will now be in one place

So you're going to have a 3-way substage?

You'd get a lot smoother response if you just went with one.

like poo, it's an spl driver, and mixing them with an couple 8's and 10's will make it sound even more like poo.

guys, i know what the subs for....im just askin (while listening to some diff types of music) how it'd sound...

Considering your 8 & 10" comment and the preface of the whole thread, we don't think you do know what the sub is for.

wow, this is by-far the absolute worst forum ive ever been too...ill see you guys later...

Not trying to be mean but realistic before you invest a lot of money into something that doesn't work. The last thing we want is for you to not be happy, but you are going down a futile road and need to change your path. There is a ton of knowledge here, but you are doing your best to bypass it and aren't going to be satisfied which is what we are trying to prevent. It would really be prudent to take a step back and perhaps share your goals so that we can better discuss what you should be using instead of trying to make something that doesn't do what you want try.

lol this is by far one of the best forums, hell of alot more knowledge here than most other places, especially in the sq department.

Again, let me try to explain. My setup will consist of those 3 subs and the 2 8"s (theyll be tuned to be more mid-bass)...however there will be 2 setups

1) When just cruising around i'll probably have the 18" shut off and have the 10's playing

2) When i need a little more, ill turn off the 10's and have the 18" playing

To me this makes sense...the subs will never be on at the same time...(10's and 18" will nevr be on at the same time)...so, no im not mixing subs...

unless the eights are dedicated midbasses (read built for midbass duty) they will be peaky if you tune them high and not sound good. if your looking for a midbass there are a lot of 6.5 midbasses that will suit your needs alot better than an 8" sub.

Edited by almond

Plenty of 8" midbass out there too ;)

Although, any midbass driver should be hanging out up front. Where is your intended installation location?

There are a lot of 8" subs that would make great midbasses as well, but the opposite is also very true. What else does your setup consist of specifically?

Can't say that I would recommend mixing stuff up front either.

There is definitely a way to complete simplify your system and still get what you want...

Sign in to follow this