Sign in to follow this  
Gettindegreez

Fi Q vs Infinity Kappa VQ

Title says it all. How would a FI Q10 compare vs an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10" VQ? I'm putting this in an Infiniti G35 coupe, and I'm looking for nothing but straight SQ, I want low extension and tight very musical bass, could care less about SPL. My enclosure size is .8cu ft., and the amp will be based on which sub I get, but it will be a higher end amp such as a Focal or Diamond.

Q's are a great sounding driver. And IMO will have the best lower end extension.

But, I still have a soft spot for the VQ's.

Edited by bdawson72

id side with the Q because you will be able to get more volume out of it while still sounding good. downside is you would need more power to do so.

i havent heard either the vq 10 or the Q 10

but i have, however had plenty of experience with a Fi Q18 and 4 Infinity VQ 12d. they both sound very good, but i prefer the single Q18 to the 4 VQ 12s.

i haven't heard the q, but i have had experience with an SS-rlp(somewhat comparable) and an infinity 12vq. The vq will take quite a bit more power than it is rated, and in my opinion, it went lower than the SS, but i do think the ss is the better driver. The VQ is probably the best mainstream woofer that i have ever used, and the specs are way better than most, and similar to most custom shop stuff like cast basket, 3" coil, etc, and the variable Q is pretty sweet.

The vq will take quite a bit more power than it is rated,

this does vary with what insert you are using. with no insert i was smelling voice coil at 400w rms. but with the inserts they took the 400 like champs. i wouldnt push them too far past their rating. i was running my 4 off a pair of mbquart RAA2400.

I have experience with the VQ 12 and I have liked it's ability to go low and sound fairly good. I have been powering it with a bridged RF punch power 250.2 in a 1.1 sealed box. It was able to take that power well (~500W) and sounded good for what it cost. I have heard a Q 12 as well but it was ported so no real "apples to apples" comparison but I can say the VQ sounded better really low but the Q was better in output from about 34 hz and up.

I have experience with the VQ 12 and I have liked it's ability to go low and sound fairly good. I have been powering it with a bridged RF punch power 250.2 in a 1.1 sealed box. It was able to take that power well (~500W) and sounded good for what it cost. I have heard a Q 12 as well but it was ported so no real "apples to apples" comparison but I can say the VQ sounded better really low but the Q was better in output from about 34 hz and up.

as far as power handling goes, in the proper box with the low Q insert, it had no problems with 600+ watts. I emailed infinity tech, and they said that it could take the full power of the infinity 611a(657w). It does have a 3"vc, which contributes to power handling, so i believe the 400w is pretty conservative.

extremely, i've owned and used two infinity svc 12 perfect vq's. i've tried two, i've done one, and one in a sealed box on 650 watts sounded amazing. but i have not heard the fi Q. ordering one today. since ur looking at a ten, i think that you might want to go with the Q, more power and a little more output. although i loved my infinity's, i do think there is better out there which is why i'm ordering a 15" Q to replace my two kappa perfects.

Sign in to follow this