Sign in to follow this  
tommy

diy Kits?!?!?!?

i just purchased my new first home and i wanna build a killer 2 tower plus subwoofer set up. my main question is does any one make similiar diy kits like adire did before it went in the crapper. i loved how you could buy the speakers and x-overs and then have your choice of a ported, sealed, or tl box that they had designed and blueprinted for you. my mother has the old 281's or something named like that and we both love them.

so does any other company offer what i'm talking about in a relatively cheap price. i'm more then likely looking for a 3-way set up with a great set of midbass' to keep up with a ported 18....

hopefully some one can answer this for me so i can get to shopping and then plan my other ht from there

GR Research has some nice kits you may want to check out.

Exodus Audio will be putting out some new kits in the next few months with the 2 way monitor to start the line up and towers to follow. These will have crossovers already prebuilt on PCB's so all you have to do is make the cabinets per plans, install the drivers, and hook up the wires.

edited - answered my own question. now for a new one

how come these exodus kits seem much more expensive then the adire kits when they use alot of adire's drivers and other relatively low cost drivers?

Edited by tommy

partsexpress has a fairly decent collection of diy kits...that you build yourself...

partsexpress has a fairly decent collection of diy kits...that you build yourself...

I'm just trying to find a set that is 3 way with assembled crossovers that's around 400-500 for right and left. where I can just build me the boxes myself. i don't wanna spend 800 for the pair. For 800 i could go buy something else at a store and have no headache. I'm gonna bounce around parts express alittle then.

Hopefully I not looking for something that doesn't exist

Hopefully I not looking for something that doesn't exist

For $500 and 3-way, you are. You can easily spend an equal amount or more on crossover parts than the drivers themselves. Especially in a 3-way where you have low crossover points that require big (read: expensive) inductors.

Best bet is to go with used vintage stuff if you want to stay in that price bracket...or go two-way. You could pick up a pair of older full size Magnepans or Vandersteen 2C's for that price, and I'd rather have something like that than a compromised design to fit under that price limit.

I agree with Jim. $500 and 3 way shouldn't be in the same sentence. Do a big two way (which can have more than 2 drivers) but don't try and add the complexity of an extra driver in the form of a mid.

I'm not that picky of a "listener". My ears are all screwed up from work. I would just like a good set of towers for the movies I watch and something that can be plenty loud if I want for parties and such. I believe my mothers adire set up is 2 way, with two mids and one tweeter. That was plenty for me in the tl boxes I made for them. I was just thinking I could get a 3 way system but it seems I can't.

Ill go back and look over some of the 2 way exodus kits. That or ill just say fudge it and go to ultimate electronics.

Sorry for the slow reply, I forgot I commented yesterday and just checked back today.

I will only be carrying the Exodus kits but they will be different from the kits currently listed on the site. The new kits will feature a proprietary 6.5" XBL driver and will use a Peerless tweeter. Also, dont be fooled at just looking at the drivers in the kits because a bad crossover with cheap parts can break a kit using great drivers and a good crossover can substantially increase the price as well.

The Exodus kits will not be inexpensive but when compared to pre-manufactured speakers they will blow away anything in their price range or I'd dare say several times their price range as well. If you are after inexpensive kits they PE may be a good place to check out since they have several designs in a variety of price ranges.

Will the Exodus kits be using the HDS tweeter from Peerless? That would be pretty balling if that is the case, not that the 9950 was a bad tweeter either.

As far as crossovers go, the least expensive crossover will probably feature the most expensive drivers. Think about what you have to account for in a really good design...once you start adding Zobels, notch filters, L-pads, etc, you'll see your price really sky rocket, especially if you're using good quality parts with reasonable tolerances. You can avoid some of these by picking the right drivers with smooth response and relatively flat impedance within the bandwidth you intend to use them (usually means a fair bit of copper in the motor). And if you're having your xover assembled on a PCB ahead of time, well...you get the point. All in all, the crossover makes or breaks the performance (in my opinion).

I'd think about waiting it out for the Exodus kits if you're looking for good powerful 2 way performance. Not sure if they have plans for a MTM, but that could be a blast.

Hell since you are so close, I'd like to hear it.

Bouf y'all can come and listen.

I am running a Yamaha receiver

and the LCR consist of Dayton reference and (chit, cannot remember the tweets) with custom built crossovers (which ws the most expensive part of the whole operation)

in Piano Black finished cabinets.

The surrounds are Tang Band Bamboo

Same Cabinets as above.

Sub is a Dayton DVC in a 9^3 box tuned to 20ish Hz. Powered by a Bash amp that puts out 250ish watts.

For the money spent, it sounds way good to me.

Nope...I'd build something or buy something vintage before I bought anything new for that price.

i had some vintage til my lady's cat chewed up the pucking surrounds. one of the main reasons i want towers so that damn cat cant use em for chew toys. i had no problem with building but the price kinda turned me off, i was looking for adire's old prices and those weren't so bad and yes they were 2-way but they came with assembled crossovers, 4 mids and 2 tweeters, and pretty simple box designs. exodus has the 261 which is close but is $700 for the pair and looks to come with unassembled crossovers. the 61 kit i could do with tower stands but i don't think i'd pay $500 for such a small design with only 4 drivers. maybe i'm wrong and such a small 2-way would work. i'll keep looking around at the exodux kits.

the 61 kit i could do with tower stands but i don't think i'd pay $500 for such a small design with only 4 drivers.

I know of speakers that have less than that, that cost more than that, that are worth every penny :) Number of drivers has nothing to do with how good a value it is...

i know numical number has nothing to do with i just won't pay the $500 when i know the drivers themselves don't cost that much. there's maybe $100 into drivers per side. i just don't care about my home audio enough to spend to spend 2k on just my front stage. after a receiver, cd player, cables, box materials, tower stands, and then the 61 kit (the cheapest kit i would use) i'm almost at 2k with out adding any sub stage or amplifier or eq.