Sign in to follow this  
JonJT

RL-S12 in IB?

Has anyone run an RL-s12 or 15 in an IB in car yet? If so, how much power utilizing? LMT is an unusual technology and I don't feel modeling programs and/or spreadsheets properly represent real world performance (that goes for any woofer really). 2000 watts into 3 ohms is hard to come by in a car. The PDX line's regulated output is nice, but max I can get from them is 1000 watts.

What are you guys running?

Doubt you need more than 600W IB on that driver. Not because of mechanical power handling, but because your front stage will have to be completely ridiculous to keep up with it at full bore.

As for if it is a good choice. Very much so. I'd choose the 15 though, more cone area.

Doubt you need more than 600W IB on that driver. Not because of mechanical power handling, but because your front stage will have to be completely ridiculous to keep up with it at full bore.

As for if it is a good choice. Very much so. I'd choose the 15 though, more cone area.

I plan on running horns, Audax PR170M0 and Adire Koda 8s. Thats a pretty beefy front stage, at least in my opinion. I'm going to need a good sub to keep up with that setup.

I don't think the 15 will fit in my rear deck. The only other place I would be able to mount it would be behind the rear seats. I don't yet know if I want to put my subs there for fear of sound degradation.

Edited by JonJT

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine fires right into the seat & there is no degradation whatsoever.

That'd be the only kind of install I'd consider for the RL-s, it seems perfect for it.

Wow, I would love to hear this if built!!

That'd be the only kind of install I'd consider for the RL-s, it seems perfect for it.

Yes, the T/S parameters do make it seem perfect for an IB install. But I'm worried about power requirements. The super low compliance and the relatively weak motor make for a power hungry woofer. The best I can do without spending a ton of money is the PDX-1.1000. Finding something that can really output 2000 watts into a 3 ohm load would cost me a lot of money.

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine fires right into the seat & there is no degradation whatsoever.

Good to know.

Wow, I would love to hear this if built!!

It WILL get built, I'm just waiting for school to be over. So, "just" a semester and a half to go and I'll get started.

I wouldn't worry about the power. 1000w on that IB will be plenty, it isn't as hungry as many report it to be and mounting it IB will surely bring the normal requirement down significantly.

edit: not quite sure I understand the horns and desire to do IB in the same car though. seems a bit contrary to me. what gives?