Sign in to follow this  
tryatt

mag power handling

just wanna know, im using no subsonic and the box is currently tuned to 30hz(until the new bandpass box is built)

and with about 1k+ it seems ok, i've never had the guts to turn it up too high though, theres about 1.5kw+ on tap

ps. is it true that they are run in with 2.5k in free air before they leave the factory?

yes its true that they are broken in with that much power. nick uses a crown K2 amp to break in each woofer before they are shipped out(ive been there to help a few times :D ). also, the mags design doesent allow it to bottom out. the suspension keeps the former safely away from the back-plate.

Yep. You'll hear a "tap tap tap" sound of the cone hitting the spider assembly. Excursion is limited by suspension. I don't recommend you crank it up to the point of hearing that noise, though. That's not especially a good thing.

so its "safe" to play below tuning(to the point where another woofer would bottom out) with the full 1.5kw, just not good?

not that i'm intentionally gonna try it, i just wanna know if its safe playing music at full tilt with no subsonic :)

thanks for the info guys :boink:

unless you listen to some unique stuff, you won't ever get any frequencies below 30 hz. the lowest rap songs are usually around 35 hz. so unless you have some electronic music can go lower, or some organ stuff or something, you'll be fine w/out a subsonic.

unless you listen to some unique stuff, you won't ever get any frequencies below 30 hz. the lowest rap songs are usually around 35 hz. so unless you have some electronic music can go lower, or some organ stuff or something, you'll be fine w/out a subsonic.

i agree, its only on the odd song, but you do get really low stuff in some songs which you miss when you switch on the s'sonic

Well, just thought that I'd say this:

The mag doesn't appear to be blowable by overexcursion (unless repeated use deterioriates the quality of some parts).

I know very little about speaker design, however when playing straight up test tones, at NEAR 0hz, I can get the sub to move approx 6" (full-cycle). The sub appears to have sustained no damage from this at all.

While sound output was basically non-existent, it was really, really cool. I believe these drivers are built top-notch and I cannot wait to try some other "tests" and "applications".

T.J.

whoa 6"? criminitely. I gotta try that when I get my 15 D2 in :) ! that's gonna be wild to see

It was definitely interesting. I could actually see the surround folding over funny or crimping from being stretched out that far, then sucked back in that far.

Pretty wierd, I don't know if I'd recommend it, but everything seems fine, as it still plays as good as it did last week.

T.J.

Well, just thought that I'd say this:

The mag doesn't appear to be blowable by overexcursion (unless repeated use deterioriates the quality of some parts).

I know very little about speaker design, however when playing straight up test tones, at NEAR 0hz, I can get the sub to move approx 6" (full-cycle). The sub appears to have sustained no damage from this at all.

While sound output was basically non-existent, it was really, really cool. I believe these drivers are built top-notch and I cannot wait to try some other "tests" and "applications".

T.J.

the mags wont move 6". they move a little over 3" peak to peak. i think that as of right now the longest throw subwoofer in production is moving right around 4", but there are a fwe companies that have proto's that are moving 6".

but the mags... they wont move that far ;)

You do realize that the 24mm linear excursion is probably the standard measurement with 8mm still in the coil, under "normal operating" conditions right?

The xmax isn't necessarily how far it CAN move, it's how far it moves while still operating nominally.

Take an old sub that you don't use, notice how the xmax might be advertised at 12mm, but you can actually FORCE the cone in a few inches? That's all I'm saying.

I'll try for videos, since if you can get it on a video, with a COA, and a matching police report, it must be fake if it's on the internet, right?

T.J.

trust me man, i live down the street from nick, i was the first person outside of the company to hear the magnum before production, and me and nick have done alot of playing with the subs. you arent going to get them to move 6".

we have played well below tuning in my SPL vehicle(mine is the red explorer on the SI web page), as well as other SPL vehicles, we have plugged them into walls, and we have put rediculously huge amps on them. none of these experiments have yielded a 6" p-p excursion. it cannot be done with the magnum

and that xmax of 24mm(.94" when converted) is the true measurement of xmax, which is the coil overhang. and if you note on the website the p-p excursion is listed at 2.4" for the 12, 2.6" for the 15. if you were to take the surrond from a mag and pull it until it is flat, it is not going to measure 6" long. quoted from the web page "Topping it all off is a 1.5

Edited by hoss

yeah but 6" would still be wild to see, right? right?

this sub still moves farther than any sub i've ever seen (no supersubs around here), so i'll be excited to see it.

No hard feelings, I must have been crabby last night; maybe it's more of an optical illusion, but I will check it out again, and see if I can get a measurement.

Still a damn good sub :) My personal favorite so far.

T.J.

Edited by tobz

The mechanical inward limitation of either the new or the older SI 12's is not quite 1.5", which equals out to something around 2.6" total peak excursion.

It sure does look like a lot, but it simply can't move more than 3". Either the cone will start hitting the spider rolls or the inner spider joint/roll will start hitting the top plate. Repeated smacking of the spider to top plate or cone to spider is not recommended of course and is not covered under warranty, so be careful.

Repeated smacking of the spider

i dont know why, but someone please confirm for me that the phrase "repeated smacking of the spider" is unexplainably hillarious.

or perhaps i have been down in one too many crawl spaces with actual spiders :blink:

It's unexplicabily.... ;)