Sign in to follow this  
tez4life

Too small of a box for RLP 15

Recently purchased a used RLP 15, and have my eye on another one online. I have a friend whos going to build me a nice ported box for the subs, but until I can get the rest of the money for that, I wanted to try it sealed based on the reviews I have heard. I have a sealed box I had a pair of Kicker Comp VRs in but heres my question. The box is only 1.95 cubic feet per chamber, ( suppose to be 2.0 but is off just a lil bit) I know the displacement of the RLP 15 is 0.18 cubic feet, would I be choking the sub in that box? I thought about inverting it, to save on some space inside the box. This would only be a temp install until I can get my ported box completed.

Also, im going for 3.5 cubic feet per chamber, but whats a good tune? I really like my low end, and I have heard many ported boxes but personally never owned on, and im trying to get it right the first time. I thought about 28hz, but would my high end suffer? I was also told 32hz was good for output, but I still want to have a mean low end. Would 30hz be a good compromise? Thanks

Getting it right the first time involves knowing exactly what you want and then it still is usually only close. Pretty tough to recommend considering how subjective it is too. My definition of "good output" and yours are guarantee are completely different, everyone here knows mine but we don't know yours.

As for your question on the choking, yep you will be choking the hell out of the driver. It won't hurt it any though you will just lose a lot of low end. Why not vent the one chamber into the other and turn it into a 4cuft box? If you do that you can put some 2x4's in it to soak up some of the extra space.

I think im going to consider what you mention about the sealed box idea. Im not in a serious hurry to mount it and let it rip, just wanted to run it for a min while im getting the rest of my system together. I think im going to go with a 30hz tune, should not hurt me too much on the high end, but still give me that low punch I seek. And your absolutely right about " good output " being selective. Tring to do something that will have sufficent output for me, but more that anything, it has to sound good PERIOD.

The RLP is one of the reasons I got on this forum in the first place, just figured that you guys had far more experence with it and wanted another opinion.

BTW, thats for that advice on my other thread, Im going fully active with the mids in lower doors (2) and the tweeter mounted up higher.

for sealed, i recommend 2.0 net volume. i had my rlp 15 in a 2.0 net and it performed wonderfully. got pretty low too.

my current box is tuned to 30 hz, and the output is still fairly flat, and the sub still drops pretty low.