Sign in to follow this  
Jacobman

Just orderd the MAW-15

Hi ive been a lurker on this forum for awhile and yesterday decided to buy the MAW-15. I had a 12 Phoenix Gold RSd in 1.2 sealed and it didnt have enough output for my liking so i turned the bass boost up 1/4 and blew it, lol, noob mistake i know... The amp i had it running off of was the Alpine MRP-M850, gains set accordingly to 800rms. Well anyways im gonna try the MAW-15 and see what happens, i will put it in the recommended sealed enclosure of 2.2 i believe (Is that after displacement or before)? Now how much wattage can this thing take, ive heard it can do 700rms fine, some guy said he did 900 but i doubt it. Well i will have up to 800rms clean so power for it isnt a problem, how much would you guys recommend running? Glad to be apart of the community, Jacobman

Hi ive been a lurker on this forum for awhile and yesterday decided to buy the MAW-15. I had a 12 Phoenix Gold RSd in 1.2 sealed and it didnt have enough output for my liking so i turned the bass boost up 1/4 and blew it, lol, noob mistake i know... The amp i had it running off of was the Alpine MRP-M850, gains set accordingly to 800rms. Well anyways im gonna try the MAW-15 and see what happens, i will put it in the recommended sealed enclosure of 2.2 i believe (Is that after displacement or before)? Now how much wattage can this thing take, ive heard it can do 700rms fine, some guy said he did 900 but i doubt it. Well i will have up to 800rms clean so power for it isnt a problem, how much would you guys recommend running? Glad to be apart of the community, Jacobman

to be honest, if you need to use that full 800 rms, get yourself an IXL 18.4 its better to run the driver in its rated wattages instead of pushing the driver into compression. ive got my maw-15 on roughly 650 rms, its doing fine, but when i really start pounding on it i can smell the coil glue. you might be better off to grab a second 15 and run em together. best of both worlds, more output, and less distortion. although as long as youre good on your gains, you'll be okay with a single 15. just pay attention, the sub will let you know if youre runnin it too hard.

I cant buy another sub now, lol. I bet the MAW-15 off 600rms will be louder than the RSd off 800, so it doesnt really matter, but if she can take more ill give it to her.

You shouldn't expect a single Maw15 to be louder than 2 12" rsd's at least not without having the same result.

Sorry the 12 in the first post I read as a 2.

As for your question on the loudness, that will entirely depend on the on the install. It should have the capability too, but if you don't put it in a worthy enclosure and supply it with a nice happy signal it may not be.

Thanks for the replies, i will let you guys know how it go's. The email said it would be here on the 15th but i think it will come this week, the 15th seems to long and the order was shipped today i believe.

*EDIT* Would you put it it anything bigger than 2.2 sealed, cause that is the recommended so i was just gonna go with that.

Edited by Jacobman

If you can go bigger, then go bigger - 2.5 - 3 cubes

If you can go bigger, then go bigger - 2.5 - 3 cubes

I have a whole trunk to dedicate to this, so would you say 3 or 2.5cubes?

Side note: UPS just picked up the driver and it is on its way to you. :)

SIDE NOTE: I just got a chubby fing05.gif Just built a 2.5 sealed enclosure, cannot wait!!

SIDE NOTE: I just got a chubby fing05.gif Just built a 2.5 sealed enclosure, cannot wait!!

If you can, put some pictures up in the gallery, and a video on TeamSSAudio.com. :)

Well after to long of waiting its finally coming today, what to do to pass the time, lol. I actually got today off and no school so i am set to go.

Alright shes in and getting 600rms currently, very impressive in the SQ department. Still breaking in so ill come back later for a review, i think she can take more though than 600 though, i may bump it up to 700 later.