I'm looking for a HU with a super clean look that has a decent amount of EQ capability, can take an aux source (planning on installing a carputer) plays cd's and has some good bass management.

It's going to go into the expedition and power the stock speaks ATM untill I get a new front stage which is the next step in the evolution of my car remodel along with the car puter this winter and subs by next spring.

I have no Idea what to look for in a good HU for Just audio management. the less bling and more function the better, I don't relly care what size it is but I do want to keep the cost under 400, at absolute max. I would be much happier at under 300usd.

I have an older 4 channel alpine to power the fronts so i don't really care about the power output of the deck just it's ability to give out a great clean signal and have all the right options (i'm not even sure what is out there today)

any suggestions and places to start would be verry verry welcome.

Thanks all.

An Alpine 9835 or Pio 880 PRS comes to mind, gives you plenty of active crossover capability, and since you already have a 4-channel you're all set on the amplification side of things.

Or maybe something newer, I'm not very familiar with the model #'s though...

The Pio has less "bling" though.

Really??

See the silver face of the pio looks really flashy to me. Maybe it's because alpine is apealing look to me. Does anyone know where I could find that alpine for a nice low price?

=) :thanx: for all the help!

In reading some reviews it looks like I would need to buy another 250 dollar kit just to use the alpine EQ, is this correct?

What EQ? The 9887 has one built in.. unless you are talking about the H701...

Someone wrote a review saying they couldn't access the EQ without ising this optional audessy EQ set up. I tried calling alpine today from work.. but they are all at lunch from that time LOL

I'll try again now... I forgot to call them back when I hit the house.

I talked with a tech guy at alpine it has basicaly a crap ton of EQ settings that I can adjust manueally. The guy who reviewed it was a moron. Sweet.

For the record based on my call to pionear it sounds like they have less functions on theirs.

Not that I'm really going ot go with anything else as i'm pretty set on this alpine but does Kenwood or anyone else have something to this calibur. Seams like a really nice HU for the price. The audesy set up would be really cool to put in the car, but I'll be damned if it's worth an aditional 250 bucks... I don't even use it in the home theater. lol

i know nothing about carputers but i thought you didn't need a HU when running one?

you dont... but you can always do so

By using a HU you don't have to worry quite as much about a sound cards ability, there is also the fact you can then directly play tunes from the HU. Carputers are really touchy from everything I understand about them and I wanted to invest in a more stable form of audio play back before I go all gonzo and start doint a frankeinstein brain operation into my build... I mean what if it takes on it's own like like hal-2000... after I put a crowbar through the evil computer I will need some way to play the beats

=)

I'm also mainly doing the car puter for future upgrades like Nav and the DVD options... and in case I need to quick jum on WoW and raid with the guildies while slammin down the turnpike.

=D

Except the glidetouch is complete garbage.

So what do you think about the glide touch???

Tell us how you really feel.

lol

I've never heard of it.

The HU looks snazy, but it's hard to find and costs more. I wish I could find a local retailer of fine pioneer electronics to test drive the other HU that was recomended.

I'm so familiar with kenwood, I really don't give a damn about the name brand i just had 4 kenwoods through my time and my last one may have played it's last CD, the motor may be broken. I will try to set it up in my truck and check it out.. it was a cool deck, had a little movie that played.. At the time it was the cats meow, but I no longer like all the crap moving on the screan. Good lines and a nice interface with many options and the ability to tune are my main concern.

I wish I had the cash to just throw down 3,000 bucks on some uber DVD nav ultra deck... but I even then I would just throw it at better speakers anyway.. lol

Edited by dem beats

alpine cda-9855

trust me that is one of the nicest head unit i ever seen... it kill my premier 980bt

???? I disagree a ton.

OK call me Nub cuz I am....

What is the difference between parametric and graphical(the alpine has both) EQ and why is this worth noting VS the 200 dollar jensen dvd player low quality peice o' junk EQ with 5 bands... etc?

Also Why does a higher voltage output help with for the RCA's?

I'm sorry guys You'll want to kill me by the tiem I figure out what I want. car H/U's are so damn different from my HT receiver... and that thing is complex enough and it does everything for me!

jensen more then likely uses lower grade componots. and the higher voltage does to things: 1 is that is less prone to noise and 2 it allows you to turn down the gain on the amp with out losing anything.

jensen more then likely uses lower grade componots. and the higher voltage does to things: 1 is that is less prone to noise and 2 it allows you to turn down the gain on the amp with out losing anything.

SOlid gold man thanks.

KNow anything about the differences in EQ's. I'm sorry if the jensen threw anyone off. I don't want to deal with that pile of dog poo anyway. I just used it as an example.

Now here is another thought... couldn't I just get an in line after the HU before the amp EQ unit and acomplish the same goal for a heck of allot less?