thacarter546

Fi BTL do they sound that bad?

Well im looking for a new sub(s) and the two im looking at right now are a 12" BTL dual2 off 2300 watts or two Fi Q's off 1100 a piece i have around 3.5 cubes that i can still be comfortable in the truck I can go up to 6, but im trying to get something smaller so i have room i have around $400 to play with, I am basically wondering what would be my best alternative. I am fairly used to my tc-3000 in 3.5 cubes off 1000 watts, how would both of those compare in SQ and output? I hear really mixed things about the BTL how bad is the SQ? I would get the HiXM coil and third mag, possibly cooling.

This is in an ex cab s10 with a pretty stout electrical (3 batts four runs of 2 gauge and 200 amp alt), and the amp is a Power Acoustik a3000db

Thanks for any responses

could i get any input on this sub? i have already read the reviews but nobody has alot to say about the sq of the driver

Also i have been thinking about getting another tc-3k and tossing both 15"s in a 4 cube sealed box off 2300 watts

If you actually care about SQ there are other woofers I'd choose first.

You could get it to sound good by using a lot of them in an enclosure that didn't allow for a lot of cone movement, so the coil wouldn't have a chance to move much before you got the desired amount of output...as soon as you get the suspension moving much linearity is out the window.

The Q's in a sealed enclosure would be your best choice if SQ is important, even the BL's are going to be peaky and artificial...

what do you plan on doing for your frontstage? if you're happy where it is...go with the BTLs

if you're looking to spend 2-3x as much on the frontstage as the substage, go with the Qs

I have Boston Acoustics Coaxs in the doors and dash off 70 watts a piece, im fairly happy with it for now, but i will be changing out to 1-2 sets of components in the near future

I have grown used to the output of my 15" tc-3k ported and i dont wanna give up any output

I am quite partial to ported boxes, the only sealed set-up id consider is two tc-3000 15"s sealed (i can get a good deal on another one)

Sound quality is moderately important, i listen to mostly reggae, rap and r&b with the occasiaonal few metal songs, and occasionaly ill watch a movie in the truck. I want something thatll do nicely in 4 cubes or under and handle 2300 watts daily. I am pretty open to suggestions just try to keep it around $400. What other subs would you run?

not to bash FI because i havent herd the btl but i have used the RE MT. In terms of SQ it was great at low volumes but once i got the watts pumping it sounded like ass imo. THen again my box was tuned higher for more spl (45hz) and i like sq probably more then you. Ive been able to talk to Steave meade about sq on the BTL's and he personally likes their sound. If your still on that budget id get the 2 q's but a woofer that can handle the power and i have liked the sound is the 9515 by DD. Quite pricy thou

Ive been able to talk to Steave meade about sq on the BTL's and he personally likes their sound.

:lol:

I do care about sq, remember i have to drive this everyday and i quite enjoy my music sounding pretty darn good, of course i dont have a super high budget and im not expecting perfection, just something nice.

What would you guys run? The DD's are very nice, but i was talking to a DD dealer and they are out of my price range, and from what i am told only sound good tuned relatively high and even then the sq isnt all that great.

I was considering two Q's, i also looked into the icons, they caught my interest, but there is debate about whether or not those can get loud.

I was considering two Q's, i also looked into the icons, they caught my interest, but there is debate about whether or not those can get loud.

Depends on what your definition of "getting loud" is, mine probably is very different than yours...

I've never liked the sound of a DD sub. Any of them. Especially the 9500's and 9900's.

dd and sq? lolzer

what do you define as SQ?

for the most part the way a sub "sounds" has almost no impact on how your system sounds. it shouldn't be playing any more than 20-63hz. You can run a sub that sounds like absolute ASS and if you have the right frontstage it'll sound better than a mediocre frontstage paired with the god of subs.

if you really care about SQ go with Qs, if you want something crazy loud, go with the btls

Im just wondering how bad the btls sound though, I understand my frontstage is mediocre by alot of peoples standards but sounds pretty good to me, im not impressed with midbass

I crossover at 80hz on the hu and leave the amps crossover set open. Is there anyway i could get a comparison to a tc-3000? i am used to the way this sub sounds and absolutely love it. I just want something fairly similar in output and sq that takes up less room, i have the power to back it up, so size is really my main constraint other than budget.

Another sub in my sight is the jblw10gti i always liked these only problem is theyd see around 900 watts a piece and the coil config sucks.

Edited by thacarter546

When you get to 2k+ rms subs sq isnt going to be top of the line... Ive personally only herd the 9518 DD done as a direct replacement for a RE MT. They sounded better IMO but not as clean as the FI Q 15 ive herd. You must remember how subjective SQ is and your asking it on subs that werent ment for sq. For your space and power requirements i would try 2 fi q's sealed and if output isnt up to par go ported

The JBL WGTI is a very solid sub for music, but since you aren't impressed with midbass I'm not sure you'd get anything out of it anyway...

Go with the BTLs.

Port your TC3k & give it 2K rms. Then after that, think about switching subs, should keep solid sq & plenty of output!

let me know if you want help w/ box plans, I don't know how good you are w/ them, so if you're sweet, I meant no offense, just tryin to be helpful.

the tc-3000 cant handle that much power for more than a minute or so. the coils get warm at 1000 watts and above that it just cant take it for long.

Maybe a better question is have you ever heard a sub setup that sounded terrible and was actually loud?

To me if the front stage can't keep up it sounds terrible, but from what you are asking it sounds like you could really give a chit about that therefore total sub output is all you care about and not at all SQ. Buy the BTL's and be prepared for bass swamping out your front stage like crazy.

Kinda i keep my HT balanced pretty flat (sounds funny after riding in the truck). For my truck i find bass relaxing somehow, and i like it loud. loud highs hurt. But yeah i can tell a difference between drivers and i cannot stand really boomy uncontrolled muddy bass. I have heard alot of systems that are intolerable, because the bass sounded fake. I like m bass controlled and able to keep pace with the music, i dont mind if it overpowers my highs a little. I have my doubts that a 12" off 2000 watts would do that though.

Really i just want something pretty loud for when i want to show off, i dont always drive with the bass cranked and i want it to be pretty musical.

Umm, you already said you have no midbass which means your bass will sound fake and exaggerated.

IMO, they sound better as THE size goes up & THE FS goes down..

i also looked into the icons, they caught my interest, but there is debate about whether or not those can get loud.

Show me this debate.

Every review I've read not to mention every installation I've heard them in has more than impressed me on this output "issue".

Put them in a proper ported box with 1100w each, and you will have more than you can handle.

i have midbass, it doesnt have as much emphasis as id like, i plan on switching out to a dedicated 8" tang band mid eventually

I dont want something that sounds mechanical, something that sounds good

You don't have to have a perfectly flat system to sound good for most people. I want a loud street beater, not a sq competition vehicle. Sorry M5 but from what i see on the forum you really enjoy making people trip up. I didnt post in the SQ forum, i have more than adequate explanations on my goals, i am looking for driver reccomendations, not an arguement about what SQ really is thanks though.

When i searchsd for the icons that seemed to pop up alot. People were just saying they are SQ only. The only guys i heard say they were loud were guys with sq oriented installs. which is alot different from a street beater type situation. Its also hard to find anything about them other than in the SSA section of this forum, i dont trust reviews in the manafacturer forum for any brand.

Edited by thacarter546

dont worry about the btls. they do not sound as bad as people will have you believe.

i just added one to my list of subs ive owned (1st and 2nd gen mag, RE sx's, alpine type r, RE xxx) and its running off a kx2500 in 4.5^3ft @ 33hz. it sounds fine for a lot of my music, and really isnt any where near as peaky as i expected it to be. its a 15" fully loaded model. my friend likes the sound of my BTL over the sound of his bl's...

only issue i have found is tinsel slap (at the highest excursion levels), due to the pucking enormous tinsel leads.

Edited by George