skress

Q gettin hot

I have a Q 12 in a sealed box powered by a Cadence TXA-1000d. I'll listen to some bass heavy music for a bit, then when I get wherever I'm going I will check the sub on occasion and the cone is pretty dam hot! what would be causing this?

TXA-1000D? Is that the new style Cadence, black trim with chrome finish?

If so I've seen one fail for no good reason at all...I'd look at your signal on an oscilloscope to see if there's anything wrong.

TXA-1000D? Is that the new style Cadence, black trim with chrome finish?

If so I've seen one fail for no good reason at all...I'd look at your signal on an oscilloscope to see if there's anything wrong.

Yup thats the amp. My first one was DOA and they sent me a new one.

I have the gain set at about 80% and the bass boost at abt 50% on average. Would a clipped signal cause it to get hot? The reason I ask is that my system drains the hell out of my electrical system. So, when the voltage drops, it sends a "dirty" signal, correct? If thats true, would this "dirty" signal cause the sub to get hot?

I can't afford one o those and I wouldnt know anyplace that would have one to use.

Any other suggestions?

Would a clipped signal cause it to get hot?

Yes.

Thats probably what it is because, depending on the music, my voltage drops can drop considerably. I'm waiting for some extra cash to purchase a HO alt and do the big 3 which should definitely help my chituation

turn off the bass bost then look into readjusting the gain I cant imagine how god awful it sounds with all that clipping

Gain is to be matched to the input source voltage, some use a DMM as a quick way of setting gains, although not all that accurate.

Bass boost should never be an option on an amplifier. OFF please.

Gain is to be matched to the input source voltage, some use a DMM as a quick way of setting gains, although not all that accurate.

What about the use of the remote bass knob?

What about the use of the remote bass knob?

you should be fine useing it the knob shouldnt allow you to turn it up higher than what you set on the amp

If I dont have a DMM how would i do that? Is there any other ways?

If you don't have a DMM, you don't have any business doing this yourself...

Sorry, but there's some minimal level of test gear that you need just to have an idea what's going on with anything electrical :)

If you don't have a DMM, you don't have any business doing this yourself...

Sorry, but there's some minimal level of test gear that you need just to have an idea what's going on with anything electrical :)

What about an analog one, I think I have one of those layin round somewhere. If that would work would you be so kind as to describe that procedure so I can get this set up right?

Basic digital meters are $20, if that. A True RMS is better, but not completely essential, since the DMM method isn't exact anyways.

is the amp turning off at ANY point while playing the sub?? the amp jim speaks of is the one that my gf is running and it will click off after a while and start throwing DC at the sub. Luckily the Q is a beast and takes it like a champ, most other subs wouldn't.

I suffered an unfortunate loss with the bass boost last week, even at 25% it still killed my sub. Bass boost off, lol.

is the amp turning off at ANY point while playing the sub?? the amp jim speaks of is the one that my gf is running and it will click off after a while and start throwing DC at the sub. Luckily the Q is a beast and takes it like a champ, most other subs wouldn't.

Not that Ive noticed. Does the sub start makin funky noises when that happens?

her amp didn't fully cut off, it'd just pop and then music would be at about 30% volume, couldn't tell from the cabin that the sub was being raped.

If your sub dustcap is too hot then reduce your volume. I had my q15 with playing some heavy bass songs for 10-15 mins and I could smell the coil and the cone is hot. Amp is tune with O scope. I think its the low voltage and high current thinggy.

i do agree with the bass boost thing but gain up to 80% is too much.

i do agree with the bass boost thing but gain up to 80% is too much.

As long as the output is unclipped, and there's no inducted noise present in the interconnects...who cares what the position of the gain knob is? Maximum unclipped power is going to be the same...

No such thing as low voltage/high current thingy...

P=V^2/Z

ALWAYS

1.)also P = current^2 x resistance

a.) say 1000 watts at 1 ohm

1000 watts = I^2 x 1 ohm

Current = 31.6 amps

b.) now 1000 watts at 4 ohms

1000 = I^2 x 4 ohms

250 = I^2

Current = 15.8 amps

2.) Now use I = V/R

a.)for 31.6 amps at 1 ohm

31.6 = V/1 ohm

V = 31.6

Put those numbers into P = V^2/R and you get 31.6V x 31.6 amps = 964.72 = about 1000 watts

b.) for 15.8 amps

15.8 = V/4 ohms

V = 63.2

Put those numbers into P = V^2/R and you get 63.2V x 15.8 amps = 998.56 = about 1000 watts

this is with rounding some numbers

so yeah the lower the load means higher the current and lower voltage for the same output power

Correct me if I'm wrong about this

Edited by aznboi3644