CraigC

Better than ID Max or D9 ????

Hi everyone. 1st, here's a quick view of my current setup.

Ride: 2000 Silverado ext cab.

HU: Pioneer Premier

Frt: Infinity 6.5 components

Rear Fill: Polk 4x6 in factory locations

Frt Amp: Soundstream Van gogh 320.4 (currently only using half)(considering the other half for 8" midbass in a front console)

Sub Amp: Soundstram Van gogh 800.2

Subs: 2 Arc Audio 10d4 under rear seat (sealed)

I want to change from 2 10's to 1 12"

I'm really pleased with the SQ of the Arc's, though I would prefer more output. I've been heavily leaning towards either the ID Max 12d2 or Diamond D9.

I've just heard, from this forum, about other possible options from Fi, Si, SSA, TC sounds, etc., (less mainstream I suppose)

Would a driver from any of these makers be better than the ID or D9 at providing increased output over my 10's without giving up SQ, keeping in mind that I will be using a sealed box and have 800 usable watts.

Any opinions on a best pick?

Edited by CraigC

The FI Q, SSA ICON, SI MAG, and AA Havoc are along similar goals as the IDMAX. All, I believe, can be bought for less too. I don't know the D9 enough to comment on it. There really is no best pick, all are very capable and quality drivers that would do well with that power, with many happy owners. If you want non-mainstream the first 4 fit that for sure.

Thanks for the reply Denim. I know the Max is a bit pricey. In your opinion, of the driver's you listed, which could potentially give me the most output is a sealed box appropriate for that driver?

Also, do you know where I can find purchasing / pricing info on the TC / Audio Pulse line? They look like some rock solid pieces.

D6>D9, but I have a preference in bang for the buck with the manufacturer's on here. Not a huge IDMax fan either.

D6>D9, but I have a preference in bang for the buck with the manufacturer's on here. Not a huge IDMax fan either.

Yea, bang for the buck appeals to me as well. That's why I wanted some input from you guys about these drivers that until yesterday, I had never heard of. I'm not into competition, just enjoy listening (sometimes loudly).

Can I get any comments on the performance characteristic differences (ie: more spl, better sq, inclosure) between the SS rlp and the ICON?

Can I get any comments on the performance characteristic differences (ie: more spl, better sq, inclosure) between the SS rlp and the ICON?

both are extremely capable lsq drivers. i'd give the edge to the icon for power handling, though that's going to be enclosure dependant. overall sq would go to the rl-p , but it's geared more in that direction. the icon, IMO is about the most neutral sub as far as output/sq goes, thought eh rl-p is right there with it.

the icon doesn't especially shine output wise sealed, i'd definitely give the edge to the rl-p on that point. sq is pretty close, but i think the rl-p is the better overall performer sealed.

both are backed by extremely good people. customer service won't be an issue either way.

overall, it's a coin flip. both subs prefer ported, both will work sealed, and both are backed by great people. teh rl-p is aluminum vs paper cone on the icon.

and i can't see an idmax fitting under the rear seat of the silverado. but you can indeed port a single 12 icon or rl-p under there, lol....

oh yeah, i own both drivers (both 12's) and a 2004 silverado xcab. teh rl-p is currently retired (on of the first ones ever bought from mike) while the icon is currently residing in 2ft^3 @34hz (4" round port) under the back seat of said silverado.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

both are extremely capable lsq drivers. i'd give the edge to the icon for power handling, though that's going to be enclosure dependant. overall sq would go to the rl-p , but it's geared more in that direction. the icon, IMO is about the most neutral sub as far as output/sq goes, thought eh rl-p is right there with it.

the icon doesn't especially shine output wise sealed, i'd definitely give the edge to the rl-p on that point. sq is pretty close, but i think the rl-p is the better overall performer sealed.

both are backed by extremely good people. customer service won't be an issue either way.

overall, it's a coin flip. both subs prefer ported, both will work sealed, and both are backed by great people. teh rl-p is aluminum vs paper cone on the icon.

and i can't see an idmax fitting under the rear seat of the silverado. but you can indeed port a single 12 icon or rl-p under there, lol....

Thanks for the input. I would like to go ported and I'm sure I can match the volume you stated you are using. Can you tell me the length of the 4" tube and the placement you used in the enclosure?

oh yeah, i own both drivers (both 12's) and a 2004 silverado xcab. teh rl-p is currently retired (on of the first ones ever bought from mike) while the icon is currently residing in 2ft^3 @34hz (4" round port) under the back seat of said silverado.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Thanks for the input. I would like to go ported and I'm sure I can match the volume you stated you are using. Can you tell me the length of the 4" tube and the placement you used in the enclosure?

sub is downfired on driver's side, port is fired into pasanger side door. IIRC, the port is ~11", but i'll have to tapemeasure it to know for sure.

i also built iluvJDM the exact same enclosure for his silverado/icon. i'll try to keep tabs on thios as i'm not online much (most i've been online in months, lol) but if needed, i'll provide dimensions to help out. if not me, holler at JDM..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Hey thanks, 'nuff said. And all you guys for the info. I think I may give the ICON a try.

Ported enclosure is going to be a 1st for me, so any info you can provide on size, measurements, port length, fiberfill (yes/no), pertaining to the silverado under seat install will be very welcomed.

I'd also like to ask 'nuff said, how much power are pushing to your icon, music type you typically listen to, and are you pleased with the outcome of your set up?

Also, just so I understand. The tuning frequency for ported box is the lowest signal you want going to the sub (subsonic filter)?

Sorry for the details request, I just want to make my choice and install as successful as possible.

Thanks for the reply Denim. I know the Max is a bit pricey. In your opinion, of the driver's you listed, which could potentially give me the most output is a sealed box appropriate for that driver?

Also, do you know where I can find purchasing / pricing info on the TC / Audio Pulse line? They look like some rock solid pieces.

Sealed output is box dependent and power level. As for TC, the prices have jumped a great deal since the introduction of Audio Pulse, enough that their internet following has dropped off a great deal.

Sealed output is box dependent and power level. As for TC, the prices have jumped a great deal since the introduction of Audio Pulse, enough that their internet following has dropped off a great deal.

Thanks. I'm kinda liking the price and recommendations on the ICON 12". I'm waiting on some input as how to fit a proper ported enclosure under the rear seat of my silverado p/u.

Hey thanks, 'nuff said. And all you guys for the info. I think I may give the ICON a try.

Ported enclosure is going to be a 1st for me, so any info you can provide on size, measurements, port length, fiberfill (yes/no), pertaining to the silverado under seat install will be very welcomed.

I'd also like to ask 'nuff said, how much power are pushing to your icon, music type you typically listen to, and are you pleased with the outcome of your set up?

Also, just so I understand. The tuning frequency for ported box is the lowest signal you want going to the sub (subsonic filter)?

Sorry for the details request, I just want to make my choice and install as successful as possible.

lol, 'nuff said is just my "title", teh user name is mrray13.

i'll get to a tape this weekend and give you some dimensions. this isn't a hard box, but not necessarly one that one would attempt on their first try, unless you are handy with the saw and tape.

my icon is recieving a rated 1100wrms from a memphis mc1300 (the big belle), i typically listen to stuff from disturbed, slipknot, korn..but i'll also go old school motley crue, twisted sister, etc. i do listen to rap on occasion, but it's mostly rock. and i'm extremely pleased with the overall performance. my truck still lacks in the output side of things, but then again, i went from an 18" solox and 4kwrms to an 12 icon and 1100wrms. it's kinda a stacked deck, lol.

the tuning freq is where you want the greatest reinforcement. the box will typically peak 7-11 cycles above tuning (alot of varibles figure into this) and roll off in either direction. you use a subsonic filter to limit damage to a sub below tuning as teh amp can tend to lose control of the sub and cause it to over reach it's limits.

and don't sweat the questions, it's why we are here.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

having owned D6s and D9s an now an FIQ

I can honsetly say the Q is superior to the D9s which pwn D6s......

I am concerned about the surround on the Q though,I have seen a few

posts showing destruction while the Diamond subs have been indestructible

I am very curious as to this destruction you speak of. What and how do you "break" a surround.

:stupid: Thanks Mrray for finding humor in my newbie mistake. I think it's now obvious that I'm on a forum etiquette learning curve.

I know it's a sad thing, 36 yrs old, family, kids, dogs, the whole nine yards, been using the web almost since Bill Gates was working from his garage,lol, and until now have never visited any type of chat room, forum, or the like. So I really appreciate the info and support you guys are showing.

About the box. I have built many enclosures, some complicated fitments, but all have been sealed applications. I have full access to a friend's cabinet / millwork shop. I'm no engineer or audio guru by any stretch, just basic knowledge. I've never ventured to build a ported box because of the critical tuning factor.

My music preferences mimic yours mrray13, with the addition of some Kenny Wayne, Stevie Ray Vaugn, and the occasional jazz/funk track. I like the occasional hip hop boom, but I really want to feel a kick in the chest from a strong drum track, or feel my clothes vibrate on a funky slap bass guitar rip. I don't think I would be looking for the output of a 18" solox, but do you think I would see some increased ouput from the ported ICON 12" over my current (2) 10" ARC kars (only 8mm xmax), sealed with about .65 cubes per (optimal is 1 ft^3), and using my rated 800rms van gogh.

note: the sq from the arcs is very good, but the output is anything but stellar, in my opinion. (ie: I get some mirror vibrations, but no real pressure felt inside the cab).

From what you're describing, you want a lot of midbass punch instead of a loud substage...I think you're asking the Arc's to do what they're not supposed to do.

I am very curious as to this destruction you speak of. What and how do you "break" a surround.

Leave it out in the sun for 40 years, play test tones...:)

the icon, mag will be your best choice.. but get the icon for better sq and spl.. the mag is 70% sq 30% spl..

So, the Icon has better SQ and better SPL then a Mag?

Ever since the Icon came out, I was waiting for someone to directly compare it to the Mag (and on a lesser note, the Q and RLP) This is the first time I've actually read one sub is "better" then the other.

the icon, mag will be your best choice.. but get the icon for better sq and spl.. the mag is 70% sq 30% spl..

Huh?

Have you heard both, in each application? What alignments? What material was played, and how did you calculate those ratios?

Huh?

Have you heard both, in each application? What alignments? What material was played, and how did you calculate those ratios?

Especially with a "real" definition which really means different alignments. My guess is that poster has no idea at all.

The first time I heard a Mag was actually in an SPL environment, and it didn't do half bad in that :)

Neither did Loyd's ;)

The first time I heard a Mag was actually in an SPL environment, and it didn't do half bad in that :)

Neither did Loyd's ;)

The 15 or so people he sent scattering from under that shelter with a pair of 12's was pretty cool :)

Ok guys, after many hours scanning this forum, I've narrowed my decision to either the ICON 12" or Q 12". However, given my chosen spot for relocating my amps under the passenger side rear seat of my silverado ext cab (for easy tuning access and ample convection room), I will not have enough room to go ported.

which of these drivers would better like a sealed enclosure?

I liked my 12" Q just fine in a sealed enclosure, i ended up switching for a 15 to get more low end but the 12 should have plenty for just about anyone.