CraigC

Better than ID Max or D9 ????

Ok guys, after many hours scanning this forum, I've narrowed my decision to either the ICON 12" or Q 12". However, given my chosen spot for relocating my amps under the passenger side rear seat of my silverado ext cab (for easy tuning access and ample convection room), I will not have enough room to go ported.

which of these drivers would better like a sealed enclosure?

either will work. having not played with a Q at all, i'll not give any descripitions of it's abilities.

the ICON is a ported box beast. while it'll work sealed, and sound very good, it's output is limited in the sealed enviroment, IMO.

jim also hit the nail on the head in his earlier post, make sure you beef up your midrange/midbass area. that will go a long way in helping you reach your goal. ///m5 also has a silverado and is into teh sq side of thigns much more then i, (he's smarter then me too), and his truck rocked out pretty good with jsut an 8.

why not mount the amps on the ledge under the rear seat? i have always put mine there and have never had an issue. that will free up all your space, and when you flip up the seat, you'll have easy access to tune.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Ok guys, after many hours scanning this forum, I've narrowed my decision to either the ICON 12" or Q 12". However, given my chosen spot for relocating my amps under the passenger side rear seat of my silverado ext cab (for easy tuning access and ample convection room), I will not have enough room to go ported.

which of these drivers would better like a sealed enclosure?

Mine are on the backwall and still very easy to change their settings a shorty screwdriver fits just fine and it is easy to reach. The JL amps aren't exactly small that I have either...

love my q. it takes and loves the 1000 watts i send ported. in a ported box the sq still shines through and i can only imagine the sq sealed. it a great driver combining both aspects in a large amount. it honestly doesnt suffer in sq or spl so i dont think u can say 50% sq and 50% spl. it more like 70% and 70% out of 100% =].

i also like the icon alot and given the reviews plus experience of both guys im sure the driver is kickass and i no if i were to change my substage which i think i will do to try something new than i would love to try out a pair of those 15" sealed in my trunk or run 1 15" ported low like the 2.5 @ 30hz box i have for my q.

i sure either will do amazing sealed, i do have a feeling that the sq of the icon will be a touch ahead and the fi q will be a touch ahead in spl when sealed.

mike-