Sign in to follow this  
aurora18"s

problem with installation

I'm having a problem getting a straigh answer on whether or not i can install my two 12" kove subs into my 96 aurora. The problem is I have a factory bosse system with the factory cd changer. According to a few places I've called my subs cannot be added without a new cd player or getting rid of the speakers in the back. I think some of the places are just trying to make me buy a new cd player. I also don't see why I would have to get rid of the back two speakers to add two subs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You're going to have to either (1) get an aftermarket CD player or (2) lose your rear speakers. The CD player is self explanitory, but if you want to keep your stock unit, you have to get a signal to your amp somehow. You can do this by either high level inputs which some amps offer, or by using a line output converter, which takes your speaker wires and turns them into RCA outputs. You have to get signal so thats why you have to lose a set of speakers, to take their signal and send it to the amplifier.

Edited by josh99ta

ur not going to lose a signal if u just splice the wire, that is connected to ur rear speakers, just tap into that wire, get the converter if needed and hook it up to ur amp. problem solved,

True, you could just splice into the wiring. I just usually cut it since I'm not an advocate of rear fill anyways. That would work though. Same thing as putting a y-adapter on a single set of RCAs basically, just splitting the signal.

that takes a lot of output away though when you splice

RFIRE, I thought of that too. When you throw a y-splitter on RCAs you effectively cut signal voltage in half (or I've always heard, never backed up with a DMM to be sure). If you splice into the rear wires, you're already taking a weak signal and further weakening it. Dont know if that would be the best solution.

It might but i doubt its noticeable :rolleyes: