Sign in to follow this  
SouthPole1989

horn question

hi, today i heard some horns because i wanted to see how loud they really are compared to normal speakers and i didn't think they sounded that bad it was just that they lacked midbass so i was wondering would it sound weird to have a horn and a midbass driver for a front stage and have normal speakers in the back( componots [i don't need to know that having rear speaker messes up imaging because i already know plus i already made holes for current speakers in my rear deck cover for the tweeters])

1. use periods and commas to separate sentences. makes it easier to understand

2. it's "components"

3. what kind of horns ? if you're talking about bass horns, you can forget about using a real horn in a car and why in the world would you need mid-bass from a bass horn ?

Nothing wrong with horns up front. You'll find two challenges, though:

1. Making them aesthetically pleasing.

2. Finding a mid that can keep up with your horns. In general, the compression driver is very efficient and the horn only exaggerates this, so you'll need quite a mid to go with it.

You're going to need to run active, it's a heck of a lot easier than trying to attenuate the horns with resistors...

Of course they lack midbass, that's not what they do :)

Unless of course you are throwing a block party, open the rear doors & let horns blow.

2. Finding a mid that can keep up with your horns. In general, the compression driver is very efficient and the horn only exaggerates this, so you'll need quite a mid to go with it.

1. depends on how far you can shove them under the dash :)

2. i used some fairly inefficient audax 5.5's with my cd1pro's...a little level matching and it was right on the money...

With my cd1pros I am going to be running Peerless SLS 8s for mid bass and rainbow 6.5" for midrange. Should be more than enough.

In a good horn install you shouldn't even be able to see the horn ;)

wg19.jpg

With my cd1pros I am going to be running Peerless SLS 8s for mid bass and rainbow 6.5" for midrange. Should be more than enough.

You don't need a seperate midrange driver with horns...the horns cover the midrange region.

The SLS's are a good choice for midbasses, though.

You don't need a seperate midrange driver with horns...the horns cover the midrange region.

The SLS's are a good choice for midbasses, though.

i've done both...and i like the dedicated mid for lower midrange alot better than just a midbass covering midbass + lower midrange....was easier to fine tune for me...better stage too...

Like he said... it is there for low midrange the horns are minis so they aren't droping down under 1k and the SLS will be cut off at 500 so something has to be real solid inbetween...but also with a help to just get louder.

I wouldn't use the SLS higher than 300Hz, lower still if possible.

Well that's what tuning is for :) the rainbows can play low with no issue at all so it wudn't be an issue. I was just going off reviews I read with them.

Like he said... it is there for low midrange the horns are minis so they aren't droping down under 1k and the SLS will be cut off at 500 so something has to be real solid inbetween...but also with a help to just get louder.

play around with that midbass crossover point once installed...i didn't really like my midbass's playing over 125...it drug alot of the stage downward if it was higher than that...

Yea trust me there will be lots of testing and tuning lol, like I said those are starting points from reviews I have read.

Edited by The727Kid