Sign in to follow this  
Timinsk

FI BL18 Options?

So I'm chosing to buy a FI BL18. Just two things I would like a bit of help on.

First should I buy the FI BL18? I'm wanting a 18" sub, but I don't know how well this runs, I want to know from other peoples experience of how well this subwoofer is. Also i'm aiming for LSQ partly but don't want the rattling and horrible distorted bass sound. My friend is running a 7 year old sub (of course its old so makes up most of the problem) and it sounds pretty bad when he turns it up.

I'm going to install this sub into my Chevy Tahoe in back behind the seat.

Tell me if I should change anything but i'm deciding to do this.

Dual 1 or Dual 2? (Be honest I don't know what the heck which ones better.. and better for my situation.)

P Chamfer: Yes

Cooling: Yes

Flatwind: Yes

Daily or SPL: Daily

Extreme Lead: Yes

Universal: No

A bit help please?

So I'm chosing to buy a FI BL18. Just two things I would like a bit of help on.

First should I buy the FI BL18? I'm wanting a 18" sub, but I don't know how well this runs, I want to know from other peoples experience of how well this subwoofer is. Also i'm aiming for LSQ partly but don't want the rattling and horrible distorted bass sound. My friend is running a 7 year old sub (of course its old so makes up most of the problem) and it sounds pretty bad when he turns it up.

I'm going to install this sub into my Chevy Tahoe in back behind the seat.

Tell me if I should change anything but i'm deciding to do this.

Dual 1 or Dual 2? (Be honest I don't know what the heck which ones better.. and better for my situation.)

P Chamfer: Yes

Cooling: Yes

Flatwind: Yes

Daily or SPL: Daily

Extreme Lead: Yes

Universal: No

A bit help please?

What amp are you going to be using? I believe that you do NOT want Extreme Lead if you are using it as a daily driver and the P Chamfer is included in the Cooling package.

There is no "better" ohmage. The sub is 1000rms. So if you have an amp that is stable at 1 ohm, and say it's 1000rms at 1ohm, then you want to choose the dual 2 ohm sub, wire it parallel and you'll have a 1 ohm load producing 1000 watts. However, if you're amp is only stable down to 2 ohms, then you want to get the 1 ohm sub and wire it in series and you'll be running a 2 ohm load.

Edited by htown860

if you are looking for LSQ...the Q may be your better option. But thats all based on your definition of SQ. As for which sub suits you better...we need a lot more information about your current system.

Can you fit the needed box size? (I have the 18" BL all options daily and I have found its way to big for what I wanted. Sometimes bigger isn't always better depending on your situation)

Do you have a powerful enough amp to run it? (if you're getting all of the options for a daily, 1000rms is considered "underpowered" by many with the flatwind and cooling. I'd say look at above 1000 if you are getting all of the options for it)

Also...this sub gets loud with the right box and power. Do you have fronts to keep up with it?

The options you have listed are fine except for the extreme lead. Sometimes it can rub against the cone and can make the leads slap. Thats an SPL oriented option.

hmmm, I've been getting flamed in many other forums trying to consider a system and I've been trying to learn about systems as well. I came across Fi and found them very interesting. We'll I don't have a current system but am wanting one, and I don't want to slowly go up and keep trying different things, as I feel I'll waste my money and I have a very low chance of selling pre-owned equipment.

I'll be buying a 2000-20002 Chevy Tahoe,

The front speakers will be 5" while I want a subwoofer as well. I was looking around and deciding what I should go with.

Some people recommended I go with a 18" and to be honest I heard my friends sub's which he has 2 10 or 12" enclosed into one box. The subs are about 7 years old I found out and it sounded ok but very loud and it sounds very distorted and I just wanted to turn it off.

I don't have a current system but I have a idea of what I want.

I basically listen to rock, country, techno, trance. I want a boom and I already considered getting deamplifier's for the doors in the truck, since I know I want a boom or kick to the subs. Like you said before with the 18" being 1000 rms, that is alot and I'm not going into doing competitions but my friend likes to f**k around with others and show off his system. I'm not truly wanting to show off but he does tick me off with his POS system.

I don't want to spend much to be honest but I'm wanting to buy 5" front speakers that could do enough to replace the backdoor speakers as well, so pretty much just buying 5" front speakers and disabling the back door speakers then wanting a sub woofer in back of truck. I have quite some space in back to mess around with as well.

Dimensions:

H: 22.5" | W: 49.25" | L: 36"

Thats pretty much just how much space is in the back of the truck.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out a bit. I'm still learning by the way.

Also I'm looking for sq more, but nothing wrong with being a bit loud. ;)

Also I'm planning on buying my own sub woofer box to save me some money.

Ahhh, ok. Personally, with you saying you listen to a lot of rock, country, techno, etc, I wouldn't necessarily go with an 18. I don't really know how loud you want, but 2 12's or even 4 12's i think, would be better with that, as that type of music is more punchy bass than anything. What kinda budget are you lookin at?

On a side note, with a lot of these forums a lot of the people that know a lot about car audio think that makes them so much better than the people who are just starting out... but don't worry about it man, you'll learn

500 USD but if I might I guess 800 USD. I guess its low but I really don't want to spend to much. :P But if I must, I guess I'll have to. :) I just want my friends brains to be blown to bits as he listens to this thats all. The good brain blowing, not the kind that makes you just want to puke from the horrible rattling mind blowingness....

but besides that yeah, 500$ I'm hoping to spend, but if the better the quality i need to spend more, i guess I will. :)

Edited by Timinsk

lol, if you could up your budget to 1000 you'd have no problem. But, for 800, I would do...

(2) 15" eD 16Ov.2's (Dual 4 ohm)

(1) eD Nine.1 Amp (1200rms @ 1ohm)

$565.25

And you should have no problem finding wiring and a box for 250. But, eD subs are more aimed at SQ, but those will get very loud. I actually have that same setup right now, but in a trunk and it's quite loud, and it will be significantly louder in an SUV.

Sorry I'm truely confused on what you said on the speaker types and everything. :P

It's ok... I was referring to Elemental Designs. (www.edesignaudio.com) If you go to the site, click package builder on the left side. Selecting what you want this way will get you 20% off as opposed to buying them separately. I hate suggesting a non-FI brand on the FI forum, lol, but it's better to be unbiased I guess.

To be honest thats what the back of the Tahoe resembles is this: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/userinstall.php?id=47

Doing a setup like that would be awesome, and Idk if I need to bolt the bottom down, if I do then ill do a 2 washers and a rubber(soft) stopper in the middle.

Only problem is the amps are under the seats, id put them in the sides as you see in the back, those arm sides.

Edited by Timinsk

Bolt the sub box down? I wouldn't think you'd NEED to. Each 16ov.2 is 52lbs. So depending on the box it'll be close to 150lbs. those look like the 18" model. You could do the 18's, it would only be about 18$ more. lol. But that would be an excellent setup.

Want to fill me in on their setup so I get a rough estimate. I'm probably going to carpet the box.. fuzzy covering anyone? :P

So would you be able to give me a build?... Thats basically what I'm looking for I guess.. Cheap but good.. though sounds not possible.

if you could, because I don't know much.. maybe give me the items I need to buy.

Tell me what I should get.. :\

I need

Front Speakers (that can be loud enough to take over front and my back speakers, im wanting to disable my back speakers so then i can save money with out buying new front and back speakers)

Amp for front speakers

Amp for sub

Sub(s)

But like i said before, i need speakers and subs that are good quality for the music I listen to... I like techno so I love the big boom, but sometimes theres songs with A LOT of repetitive roll over of same rhythm thats really fast so I want all the beats to be caught. Then there rock where I like the heavy feel of the bass to get the drums and bass guitar, etc. Then country where I like the voice of the person singing and love to get the feel of clean, crisp sound of them. Then trance where they remade music has some synth in there so I want to hear the bass have wind bellowing sound. I guess.. but I think someone told me I should go for a enclosure setup for some reason.

Alright, if you're lookin to get good front speakers + amp too you'll definitely need to up the budget lol. I don't know too terribly much about front components, but here's what i'm thinkin. Make sure you use the Package Builder. It's on the left hand side of the eD site. You'll save 15% by buying it together.

18" 19Ov.2 (Dual 2)

eDi 6000s v.2 Components

NINe.2x Amp (for sub)

NINe.2 Amp

Total = $701.25

Plus enclosure for the sub and wiring.

I'm not sure what's required for the installation of the components.

It's more than you were lookin to spend, but you will definitely not be disappointed. Or, if you wanted to wait on the components, you could just use the stock interiors that come with the vehicle, and just adjust the gain on the sub amp properly so it doesn't drown out the highs.

The NINe.2X gives out 600watts rms at 4ohms bridged and the rms on the 19Ov.2 is 600rms. So you would wire the sub in series to get a 4ohm load. There are diagrams on the net if you google "sub wiring". But you'd be better off having someone who has experience do it, and you watch just to get the feel of how to do things.

Edited by htown860

buy 1 or 2 18" and how much would the sub case be and where do I buy one?

1 18... I would say see if a friend builds them or a friend of a friend, so you can get a deal. but if not, i would make a thread on here seeing what people on here charge to make them. Otherwise you're gonna be paying a lot.

I did some research and I thought up of a plan.

What you think?

FS: PHOENIX GOLD 6.5" 240w (79.99)

FS AMP: Power Acoustik PS2-420 (54.99)

SUB: JBL GTO1502D (79.99 x2)

SUB AMP: Legacy: LA1488 - 2 Channel 1600W (109.99)

Total: 434.95 (* excluding shipping)

Not to bad right?

thank you alot htown! :) glad i didnt go buy the stuff already. :P would of been a waste

Sign in to follow this