Sign in to follow this  
bdawson72

Finally biting the bullet

Since I have 90% of my equipment for the blowthrough, I have been questioning whether my front stage will be able to keep up with my substage.

I have been thinking about finally going active on my front stage. I currently have Alpine Type X 3ways. And I'm looking for mids(or a combination of mids) that have a somewhat good level of midbass and clarity. I'd also like a relatively good tweeter to go along with the mids. I typically like mellow tweeters but I'm open to anything as long as it isn't overly aggressive.

My 8445 may not be perfectly suited for active applications but it'll be fine.

I will be powering this with my sundown 100.2.

I'm open to 2way and 2way suggestions.

Edited by bdawson72

You want to add a midbass to the Alpine 3way? Might be best to just toss the midbass from that set then, go active & use a different midbass if that is your concern. But, you only have 2 channels of amplification, so that won't work.

Frankly, unless you go active, you cannot just add parts to the Alpine set & use its passive. Passive crossovers are designed to match the components that come with them.

You want to add a midbass to the Alpine 3way? Might be best to just toss the midbass from that set then, go active & use a different midbass if that is your concern. But, you only have 2 channels of amplification, so that won't work.

Frankly, unless you go active, you cannot just add parts to the Alpine set & use its passive. Passive crossovers are designed to match the components that come with them.

Maybe I wasn't completely clear in my post. I'm not going to use the alpine set at all. I was just using that as a reference as to what I am used to.

And. I guess 3ways are out of the question. For some reason that slipped my mind. WOW.

2 ways are too unless you use a prepackaged component set. Don't have enough channels of amplification to use some raw drivers.

Go horns or go home.

If you're looking to "keep up", frankly nothing short of a HLCD and a beefy midbass will do an acceptable job...unless you love listening to lots of distortion.

Go horns or go home.

If you're looking to "keep up", frankly nothing short of a HLCD and a beefy midbass will do an acceptable job...unless you love listening to lots of distortion.

Are there any examples that you can think of on the top of your head?

I'm open to any suggestions now that I will eventually have to get a new amp.

Edited by bdawson72

Image Dynamics, either the minis or the full bodies...Illusion Audio if you can find them. But there's usually a set of ID's for sale somewhere, either on ECA, DIYMA or CA.com. Parts Express sells new compression drivers if you just find the horns with no drivers attached.

As for midbasses, that'll depend on what you have for mounting room and budget...whether in kicks, doors, or what.

Talk to UCP. He's got some selenium (I think) compression drivers paired with an un-cut ID horn.

I have around a 500-600 dollar budget.

I have a decent amount of space in my doors.

I can fit just about anything as long as it isnt an 8 inch subwoofer.