Sign in to follow this  
George

broken tinsel lead on 15" btl

the thread is much more developed here

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265327

but i will post here anyways, since i would like to get an idea of what some new tinsel will cost me so i can try to do a repair.

so my btl stopped working today when i was listening to it on volume 35/70 on the highway. i thought maybe my wires came loose. get home, pull out the woofer and this is what i see

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

at first glance i thought i clipped it. i take a look at the coil...its fine. never smelled anything either and everything is in the same condition as when i recieved the sub. and the other tinsels dont look burned to me at all. i am the third owner of the sub. it does look a bit burned but the coil looks perfect so who knows.

upon closer inspection it looks like that single tinsel was a good bit shorter than the other 3 which seem to have enough play to move freely. this leads me to believe that the tinsel slap issue i thought i was having was that tinsel being tugged on.

the sub does not bottom out in the enclosure, and i have my subsonic filter set. it was in a box that was roughly 4.3 or so cubes at 31-32 hz (after recalculating and seeing an error i made in the original calculation. and was being run off a kx2500 pretty conservativly.

well, ill talk to FI and see if there is a way to fix this issue without having to do a complete recone. RIP BTL, after like only 1 week of owning the sub (well its seen 4kw from the first owner and 1.7kw from the last owner so it got some use lol but it went out as soon as it hit me :( )

Edited by George

scott resoldered mine and they are fine man i will say this after he soldered mine he pushed it all the way in and pulled it all the way out to see if it would pull the wire connectoers so it would not pull out of the coils good luke if you cant fix im looking for more 15btl but they need to be .7 ohms

I had one break like that, Never could fix it where it would last a long time.

Only real way to fix it, is to recone.

Edited by ford302redneck

I had one break like that, Never could fix it where it would last a long time.

Only real way to fix it, is to recone.

well the link that was posted above seems to be even supported by Scott.

gonna try it as it doesnt just fix the break but actually replaces the entire tinsel. gonna do all 4 tinsels :)

i just had this happen to me too. i had to solder it right before our local comp this past sun. it doesn't seem the same. i did manage a 141.7 when testing with it broken. i didn't know it was broken till 3 days later. i was like what the hell is that noise? i read the link then looked at my woofer. the dustcap seems to be very close to the surround on my 10 inch bl. how much would i expect to pay to send it back for a recone and a new terminal? i broke the terminal a while back. could i just buy the recone and a terminal and do it myself? lastly, would it be cheaper just to buy a whole new woofer? thanks in advance and aloha from hawaii.

i just had this happen to me too. i had to solder it right before our local comp this past sun. it doesn't seem the same. i did manage a 141.7 when testing with it broken. i didn't know it was broken till 3 days later. i was like what the hell is that noise? i read the link then looked at my woofer. the dustcap seems to be very close to the surround on my 10 inch bl. how much would i expect to pay to send it back for a recone and a new terminal? i broke the terminal a while back. could i just buy the recone and a terminal and do it myself? lastly, would it be cheaper just to buy a whole new woofer? thanks in advance and aloha from hawaii.

well a recone runs roughly 100 bucks depending on some factors. and since your in hawaii you will pay quite a bit for shipping as well.

still would be cheaper to do a recone, than buying a whole new woofer. it might be better off buying a new woofer anyways though since the 10" BTL is not designed for daily AT ALL, and you will most likely experience more problems with it down the road.

i have a bl.

oh. well, not sure what the price is on the recone for a 10" bl. but a 18" bl is $95 or so bucks plus shipping

Wire on its way to you George. Does look like lots of current given the discoloration on things. Next issue is that it looks like it might have been reconed by someone else do you know its history? Leads dont look to be set with the right length or angles to them (we use a gauge for them). Lots of solder wick up the lead hardens it and creates a weak point... angle is way off to the sides to. New leads on some drivers for end of the year too.

When you get it in let me know if you need help swapping them out.

Thanks,

Scott

lol, b4 my extra lead came, i got some 6 or 8 gauge wire, and soldered it to the broken off point real good, put some silicone around the joint, cuz it was kind of ruff....

basiclly the ole DD sub style

Has been playin fine for about a month, whenever i build my new box i'll replace them

But theres no need for a recone? What would be the point?

Wire on its way to you George. Does look like lots of current given the discoloration on things. Next issue is that it looks like it might have been reconed by someone else do you know its history? Leads dont look to be set with the right length or angles to them (we use a gauge for them). Lots of solder wick up the lead hardens it and creates a weak point... angle is way off to the sides to. New leads on some drivers for end of the year too.

Thanks,

Scott

wait wait wait!!

i talked to shawn flemming last night and he said he would get me some out ASAP. did you get in touch with him by any chance? i wouldnt want you guys to send me 8 tinsels when i only need the 4 (not that i wouldnt take them, but every penny counts in the business world and i wouldnt want to take it from you). i will gladly you pay you for them if you already shipped them out.

heres the history. the motor was bought by someone on caraudio.com. it was reconed by the user. it was then ran off a memphis 4kw. i only heard him mention 1 times that he got the sub stinky. the coil looks damn good, thats for sure though.

then he sold it to the guy i bought it from. he ran it off a 1700wrms amp, and then like a 2200wrms amp for only a couple weeks with conservative settings.

and finally i bought it, had it for a week off a kx2500.1 @ 2 ohms, and *pop* lol.

yes the leads definitely look burnt, no denying that one, but i know i didnt do it (or at least ive never done it to any other woofers ive had).

now, you guys use a gauge to set the tinsels just right? hmm is there anyway i can get a length in inches of how long the tinsel should be and maybe at what angle is close to being right (30, 45, 90 degree)?

thanks scott!

George

Edited by George

Thanks,

Scott

still no tinsels :(

im only 360 miles away from vegas too. damn you ups!

Edited by George

Sent them via USPS in an envelope... should have take only 2 days and this was a week+ ago. Let me know if you get them in the mail or not... if not, Ill put some in a box and send it next day to you.

Sent them via USPS in an envelope... should have take only 2 days and this was a week+ ago. Let me know if you get them in the mail or not... if not, Ill put some in a box and send it next day to you.

haha so i was right! i was assuming you were going to send by USPS. but when nothing showed up, i started to think "well i know they use UPS to ship the subs, so ill keep a look out for the truck" lol

ok well, ill check to see if they show up today. remember we had the fires down here in san diego, so our mail was stopped for a little bit. but its been running normally for quite some time already. im starting to suspect, they just lost it :(

it was sent to the 6100 Blain Place address right? should i email you with the address again, or do you still have it on file?

thanks

George

checked. still no tinsels. asked all the family members, and no sight of anything for me.

scott, i would like it if you could send it to a different address. i had a replacement debit card sent to this address, a week back or so, and it too was lost in the mail.

i will e-mail you with another address, and you can make a decision on which one you want to send it to. btw, i would prefer you didnt spend the cash to send it next day. just good old standard ground is good enough for me. youve helped enough, considering this is none of your responsibility anyways.

Im glad you were able to get everything takin care of man. This is Dustin BTW. just a different name on here because someone already had my other name on this forum =P

Take Care.

Im glad you were able to get everything takin care of man. This is Dustin BTW. just a different name on here because someone already had my other name on this forum =P

Take Care.

lol, whats up.

thanks Scott i got the email. Fi CS once again shines through!

Sign in to follow this