Sign in to follow this  
bose301s

New BM: Good for home? When can I buy?

Well, I am looking to make myself a home sub to augment my Bowers and Wilkins DM603 S3 towers bottom end. I am looking at the BM 12" and was wondering how well it would work in a home environment, what size enclosure and whether it should be ported or sealed. Also, I just wonder when these will be available for purchase as I assume you approved the new design since its up on your site.

I don't think I could recommend it.

If you wanted to stay SI, I'd go with the Mag, or look into other options...

I don't think I could recommend it.

If you wanted to stay SI, I'd go with the Mag, or look into other options...

Well, I know Nick is using the old BMs in home setups now.

The old BM's are another story :)

The new BMs should be better shouldn't they? They have a lower Fs and are better sealed.

I have yet to play with the new driver being as how I am not as important as Jim, however, from my conversations with Nickeypoo, these drivers are just like every other iteration; they outperform the previous version, so I don't see why they wouldn't work well. Of course, it all depends on application and intentions, just as it does in the automotive environment.

I am in the same boat!

I am looking to either take my Mag out of my car and put it in my HT setup, or get a BM for my HT setup.

So I too would like some more opinions on how a Mag and a BM would do for HT use. also, power wise how much each would need in home use.

The latest production version of the Mag would be an excellent choice for movies or music. Not too many drivers I'd take over it. Power handling is going to be dependent on the enclosure, but I'd say an 800W or 1kW amp will give you flexibility for a number of different alignments.

IMO, going with a newer BM would be a step back from what you have already...

is there a price point yet on the new mags???

a new BM would be a step back from my current mag? for home use? also how do you think the mag(current one) perform in home?

is there a price point yet on the new mags???
No.
also how do you think the mag(current one) perform in home?

I thought I underlined it :) Really well...the last version that was built was one of my favorite subs that I've heard so far.

my bad I thought you were talking about the upcoming mag.

I couldn't agree with you more, this mag is wonderful. definitely one of the best woofers I have ever heard or used. leaps and bounds better than the mag before it too, which I liked it don't get me wrong. So I am very excited for the new mags.