sundownz

X12 New Design in the works

The old thread was getting, well, old... so it's time for a new one.

The build house that I was working with on the X12 for the previous three iterations of prototypes was unable to produce my design to spec properly... so production has been moved elsewhere. Since I was already behind I decided to implement all of my other ideas for improving the design now rather than for later versions.

1) Changed to dual, mirrored progressive spiders -- they were linear units before

2) Optimizing top plate to coil height ratios for better BL linearity -- top plate is now 16mm tall

3) Optimized magnet ID and height to avoid wasting magnet mass (not making it heavier than necessary)

4) Removed back plate gap vents to increase flux efficiency -- vents moved to sides of back plate where there is less saturation

5) Implemented exclusive Sundown Audio D.A.H.C.S for reduced voice coil temperatures -- wait and see for this one, very cool

The basket will remain the same as it is an excellent unit with a great deal of clearance. I will likely retain the same white fiberglass cone as it was very well received and has an excellent strength to weight ratio.

The final voice coil is a 3" diameter unit with 60mm winding length -- copper clad aluminum wire. This design has 24mm of linear excursion and an extremely symmetrical BL curve optimized with FEA software. The motor has 38mm of x-mech and the basket has over 40mm so it will be nearly impossible to bottom out the coil or the spider.

The motor on this sub is no larger than it needs to be -- not too big, not too small. It is aimed at the SQL market and will not need multi thousands of watts to sound good. Power rating will weigh in at 1000 watts RMS, this design will easily handle more than this due to the D.A.H.C.S, but will not need it to perform well. The main purpose of the D.A.H.C.S is to reduce power compression within the rated power area to make a more efficient speaker for extended high output listening. In fact, a pair running on an SAZ-1500D will be a perfect combination as these will be Dual-4 ohm woofers.

-----

The prototype is in the works. I will post pictures when it is ready in another couple of weeks.

Obvious by the thread title, this woofer will debut in the 12" size only. I will release it in 10" and 15" sizes later on.

I'm curious about this Dynamic Atomic Helium Cooling System.....

Sounds like it should be a very nice woofer.

I'm curious about this Dynamic Atomic Helium Cooling System.....

Sounds like it should be a very nice woofer.

*laughs*

Good guess on the abbreviation, but not quite :) Got the last two words right, though!

Dual arseho Cooling System?

I'm not telling yet :) Not until the proto comes in and I can show photos of it.

i'm sticking with the dual AssHole design....two VC's so the backplate has two pooper shooters.

i'm sticking with the dual AssHole design....two VC's so the backplate has two pooper shooters.

Haha, not quite :) It's not quite so amazing as having two pooper shooters, but it is pretty cool and very functional for cooling.

Darmstadtium Astatine Hassium Cooling System?

:ttiwwop:

Darmstadtium Astatine Hassium Cooling System?

:ttiwwop:

Pics will come when the prototype is done, but I figured I would post up what I'm doing since the other thread was so old and out of date!

whats the msrp looking like on them?

I am a bit reluctant to give a number as I don't have my final build cost yet. But, based on my estimates they will be in the range of $349 - 399 MSRP. Maybe a little less if I can get away with it, we'll see how my final cost turns out. Of course, as always, contact your dealer for best pricing when they are out.

:droolcup: H.T.F.U

can dvc 2 ohms be special ordered?

can dvc 2 ohms be special ordered?

I would have to locate a coil supplier to make me limited runs of D2 coils... but maybe as a special thing.

Dual Assymetric Heat Cooling System???

or

Differential Active Heat Cooling System???

or

Dual Airflow Heatsink Cooling System???

Ok... it's annoying, I stop for now... :P

Dual Assymetric Heat Cooling System???

or

Differential Active Heat Cooling System???

or

Dual Airflow Heatsink Cooling System???

Ok... it's annoying, I stop for now... :P

Third one is closest fing05.gif but not quite.

Dual Airflow High-tech Cooling System?

Dynamic Airflow High Cooling System

I am just looking forward to seeing how these turn out man!!!

Keep the great equipment and prices coming Jacob, and the masses will keep buying!!!!

Can't wait to see pictures of these and hear how they perform, maybe I will drop my BMs for a pair of these on a 1500D.

pics pics pics!!!!

Really want to see this.

Me too :) It's in the process of parts acquisition to make a new prototype.