Sign in to follow this  
mjmarovi

Hot Sub

So i got my 15Qd2, and it seems to be running pretty warm. No smoke or anything, just that when i get home from banging on it a bit it feels a little hot. Just got it two weeks ago so not sure if it's still just from breaking in, which i'm thinking not, or maybe from low voltage?? It's running off of a fosgate p1000-1bd and the gain is just over half and under 3/4. My lights do dim a lot when it hits. There is a little smell, but smells more like breaking in smell, not vc burning smell, hence no smoke and when i took it out a few days ago vc still looked brand new.

Basically, any thoughts on getting the sub to run cooler?? I'm thinking this could become an issue if played for over an hour at a time. My only thought is voltage. Oh and other odd thing, the amp is running cool, speaker amp hot, but sub amp is cool??

A little over half and a little under 3/4 is NOT a valid gain setting. My guess is you are really whipping on it, while I am not a fan of the DMM gain setting option I do think in your case you had better verify what you are asking your amp to do as it sounds to me like you are running your gains too high or have some other false eq causing a boost where you shouldn't have it (like the bass boost which should be off).

the bass boost is off, or for fosgate the "punch eq" and i don't see how barely over half (directly vertical) is too high of a gain. in most cases i would consider amp to be safe at least to 3/4.

A little over half and a little under 3/4 is NOT a valid gain setting. My guess is you are really whipping on it, while I am not a fan of the DMM gain setting option I do think in your case you had better verify what you are asking your amp to do as it sounds to me like you are running your gains too high or have some other false eq causing a boost where you shouldn't have it (like the bass boost which should be off).

What other methods are there? Haven't heard of many in my young couple years so far. Thanks for any more info!

To the OP, I don't recommend having a response of "no" to the first response you get, he is most likely right that you have your gains set incorrectly.

Good luck w/ finding a solution, ton of knowledge on this site.

the bass boost is off, or for fosgate the "punch eq" and i don't see how barely over half (directly vertical) is too high of a gain. in most cases i would consider amp to be safe at least to 3/4.

use a dmm to set your gain using a -6db 50hz test tone.

your gain is there to match your preouts on the HU. you dont just set it to 1/2 and expect it to be right for every HU. hell you could use volume 5/35 and have your gain set to 99%. in the same instance setting your gain at volume 30/35 might results in gains at 25%.

there is no, and never will be a standard setting.

yes i know, i've been using this HU for over 3 years and been hooked up to this amp for 5 months, had it on different subs before, but ur right i should use a dmm, how exactly do you do that again? I have one but forgot how to do it.

Sign in to follow this