Sign in to follow this  
mike114

Need help with new maw15 box

like the topic says i need some recommendations for a new box for my maw15. right now i have it sealed at 2.2cuft. after displacements, and while it sounds nice, just dissapointed with the output. was hoping to like it sealed as i like the flatter response of sealed boxes little more than ported, but after awhile of listening to it i'm starting to find myself turning off the radio cause i'm a little pissed:( hu settings are fine, amps fine but it's the response i'm getting that's letting me down. problem i'm getting into is around 90% of songs on any given cd (rap/hip-hop) i put in has like no response at all, then others will just slam. don't get it, same cd's will play LOUD in others rides' (and not talking about comp. cars, i'm meaning cvr's, w3s', etc.) but then put it in my car, nothing at all. it's like stock systems have more bass than mine, even though i have a 15" in the trunk.

and to give a little more info, i have a civic and i ride with the seats down, sub facing rear of car, and the sub getting about 600wrms clean power. and to even get the response i have now, the gain is turned down and the bb up to about just under half (yet to hear distortion yet in the sub, and no smell either, and have played with it numerous times).

so should i go with 3cuft. @ 33hz. or should i go with a 3cuft. box tuned higher? like 38-40hz.? not really too worried about the sq as i'm sure it'll still sound decent enough (just my work car, not my project ride).

You say the gains and settings are fine, but it surely doesn't sound like it.

What are your crossover settings?

Subsonic filter?

How did you set your gains?

What amp are you using?

Let's start with looking at what you have first.

Subsonic filter?

What amp are you using?

the gains were set correctly, but had NO response at all. started to play with it and to get the response i have now that's where they have to be. lpf is at 70, ss off (all the way down, think on amp it's marked 11). set by ear, then had someone use a dmm and they left it at about the exact same way i had it before. amps a cadence txa1000d.

Ive never had mine sealed but supposedly they come alive ported. And mine is doing just that. Its plenty loud i a 3 cu. ft box tuned to 28.

Maybe check the wiring. Possibly wired to 8 ohms or some other mistake? Dont overlook stupid mistakes, theyre killers.

Edited by espguitarist91

I agree, and no disrespect intended here, but check the obvious. Coil wiring, terminal wiring, power to the amp, etc. You mention that some songs slam and others don't. Verify you have steady power and everything is clamped down real good. If you can reverse the phase on the amp, try that to see if its a phase issue.

I agree with everyone so far.

Doesn't sound like the box to me...

Mike P has a good idea with swapping the sub out into someone else's car.

I would suggest pursuing the problem further before building a ported box.

I have 2 MAW 15s sealed and output isn't an issue for me.

Good luck!

Subsonic filter?

What amp are you using?

the gains were set correctly, but had NO response at all. started to play with it and to get the response i have now that's where they have to be. lpf is at 70, ss off (all the way down, think on amp it's marked 11). set by ear, then had someone use a dmm and they left it at about the exact same way i had it before. amps a cadence txa1000d.

I don't buy it. There is no way if it is "correct" that it can slam on some freq's and not others...unless you truly have some very challenged music tastes.

Yes, if his friends have some crazy boxes or strange setups that are very peaky, he might think that his is being outperformed, but it sounds more to me like a crossover issue or something. Hard to say without hearing it...