Sign in to follow this  
SikSS

Sub's Foam Surrounds Q.

I have a set of older cabinet speakers with 15" subs. The foam surround has disintegrated for a lack of a better word. I'd like to keep the speakers. The cabinet was made by a friend out of birch many years ago and he did an amazing job with them.

Where or how would one go about getting them replaced, and if so, would it be worth the cost and expense. I'd do it myself if it was easy enough.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Depends on what they are exacttly.

They are a Cerwin Vega Model and made of paper. Now that I've looked at it more carefully comparative to a metalic speaker I have, it looks like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I may have to pic up a set of MAW-15's or something. If that's the case, I'll go smaller, attempt to reuse the wood and take a pot shot a building something like a 10 or 8". Sounds like a good winter project....

Refoaming is pretty straightforward, Parts Express and other places sell surrounds and dustcaps...at the last AudioKarma.org meet down here we did a couple 10's in a pair of Acoustic Research towers that had been rotted to hell...let the glue dry overnight, next day they were playing DSTOM as good as new :)

Now, you could always replace the drivers with something else, but then you're opening the door to crossover mods and before you know it you have a totally different set of speakers on your hands :D

Refoaming is pretty straightforward, Parts Express and other places sell surrounds and dustcaps...at the last AudioKarma.org meet down here we did a couple 10's in a pair of Acoustic Research towers that had been rotted to hell...let the glue dry overnight, next day they were playing DSTOM as good as new :)

Now, you could always replace the drivers with something else, but then you're opening the door to crossover mods and before you know it you have a totally different set of speakers on your hands :D

Funny you say that....... I just joined the DIYForum just to investigate options. Geez, now that I have some half decent tools, I might do just that as a winter project. Sounds like fun too.

Just to follow up on my adventures, I went to Sayal Electronics and picked up some foam surrounds that after much prep work to clean and sand off as much of the old glue as possible, found didn't exactly fit. They were off by a smidgeon, and as I lined up my first sub, did so incorrectly and now it flubbers...the second worked out great, except that as the foam is generic, not wide enough to cover for the full extention of the cone. Anyway, the second sub I worked on seems to play well enough until you crank some rap into it.

My conclusion is...It's just not the same. So, I've decided to replace them instead.

Now, I've got a friend who's selling 2 older Rockford Fosgate 15's but they are single coil 4 ohm, while the 15"s I had in there were 8ohms.

If my speakers were 3 way(3 speakers wired per speaker box: tweeter/mid/sub), each I'll assume 8ohm, then wired to the amp, Is there a way I can wire the pair of these 4 ohmed subwoofers in series or parrallel to make them work as an 8ohm and still have the mids and tweets play as normal?

I've heard that you make the amp work harder if you run them as 4ohm instead of 8ohm, and as my amp only 50watts/channel, probably not a good idea. It's an older AKAI AM-UO1

Your help would be appreciated.

If it can't be done, I'm going to attempt to build some, but only 2 way bookshelvers.

There's a few Ebay stores that sell CV recone kits. Not the generic foam but certified CV replacements. Try it again before you swap out your speakers for something else.

-Robert