Sign in to follow this  
RemixPinoY

2 Havoc 12's

Hello everyone, well after sitting in the FI forum, I've gotten a good deal recently for the Ascendant audio line up, which I've heard is very similar to the fi q of which I originally wanted for less than that of a Q. Both subs are now pretty much the same price, Havocs being cheaper slightly.

So I ask you all if any of you have heard the differences between the Q and the Havor in terms of sound. I've talked to a few people and Scott regarding the two subs, and from what I understand is this. The Havoc was made to handle more power out of the box compared to a Q with no BP option, they were made to handle more power so they should be able to handle a bit more abuse. They are both SQ subs, and should sound identical. So being identical in terms of sound, what would the enclosure size recommendations be for the subs? I plan to run a sealed fiberglass/MDF wood enclosure, and the Q 12's need about 1.2-1.3 cubic net as recommended by most people, are the havocs the same? How do the Havocs do in sealed enclosures? And in a sealed enclosure, should I have each sub split off into there own enclosure? As in separate chambers with a box that totals 2.4-2.6 cubic net? Or am I better off having them share the same air space?

Also I'm going to order a sundown 1500d as many have recommended, I know havocs are about 1250rms watts, but Scott told me that the sundown amp should be able to power 2 havoc 12's nicely around 750-900 watts a piece . I plan to make this system loud in terms of power while still retaining good sound quality. My car is a Toyota Supra hatchback, so I don't necessarily need too much power for these subs as I'm not a big bass head, but would like more power than my last set up. So will this sundown amp be plenty for these subs? Will they be too underpowered? Scott asures me, as does others but I just want to make sure haha I'm always worrying. I may eventually upgrade the amp to a larger amp in the future if I feel that it isn't enough for my needs. Also for two subs and one amp to work, I will need them to be D1's right?

Picture6762.jpg

This is my set up I had pulled out, I wasn't happy with the box, and it wasn't built as well as it could of been. Two kicker cvr 10's, with a gravity 2 channel 1400 watt amp. Kickers sounded nice, but the box they made was 3.2 cubic feet, too big imo for these two 10's. If I was going for true true sound quality it makes sense as the responses were flat, but I think it was still too big even if I wanted flat responses and it lacked punch. I also want to save more weight if I can, and have more storage space. I know I know funny how I want this in a sports car haha. Anyway I'm sure this system will beat this one right in terms of sound quality and power? Please give me any advice you all can recommend. Also what wiring should I request my shop use? I think I have 4 gauge for my amp to my subs, and I have one battery right now, an interstate but it's not dry cell. And I still have my stock alt thats around 90amps and I have a RF cap 2.5 farad.

Thanks all!! :thanx:

You didn't really ask questions hardly:

-Same enclosure no divider is my recommendation for two subs.

-2 DVC-D1 will allow you a 1ohm final load, but there are other ways of doing that as well. For a 1500d that is what I would do.

You didn't really ask questions hardly:

-Same enclosure no divider is my recommendation for two subs.

-2 DVC-D1 will allow you a 1ohm final load, but there are other ways of doing that as well. For a 1500d that is what I would do.

I thought I did :shrug: Anyway ordered my amp, the 3000d, and asked for D1's instead of the D2's that usually ship to retail.

As for enclosure, you recommend no divider? I hear from various people put dividers and others who do not, whats the difference? And anyway, in a sealed enclosure where do these subs like to be at? I saw that box recommendations for one sealed is .6-1.1, so I guess they take less air than the Q's do since Q's can max at 1.5 even though there similar subs.

SO what would be optimal for two of them to be in there best range of play? 2 cubic net combined after displacement? I'm guessing displacement of each sub is 1.2 cubic net in the box for the room they take? Sorry I"m a noob.

Edited by RemixPinoY

Alright I got the two subs going back into my old box which is being rebuilt right now. We've guessed that it's internal displacement is about 3.0 to 3.4 cubic net. So with the two subs taking up about .34 cubic net. Both subs will have around 2.66-3.1 for total air displacement. I know it's a bit out of the recommended spec of around 1-1.2 cubic net. But will it be really really off in terms of how it should sound sealed up?

And if I did have to downsize what can I do with my box to downsize it's total internal air volume? Would adding material make any difference? I've been told pollyfill could do that and make the set up sound nicer, but I thought the pollyfill would only make the subs work as if it were in a larger enclosure? Is there anything I can do to correct the air volume?

You should be fine with that airspace. You will lose a little punch but the lows will be extended. It depends on the music you listen to as to whether you will like it or not.

Polyfill will not reduce airspace. Use solid wood. IE put a divider somewhere so that it can be removed later on if you want the full 3 cubes back.

You should be fine with that airspace. You will lose a little punch but the lows will be extended. It depends on the music you listen to as to whether you will like it or not.

Polyfill will not reduce airspace. Use solid wood. IE put a divider somewhere so that it can be removed later on if you want the full 3 cubes back.

Ahh I see thanks! I like listening to classics like the beatles, I like some rock and metal, hip hop, laid back hip hop. Basically everything, so I'm hoping with this sealed set up that lighter stuff will be nice and tight sounding and if I ever need more bass for the rap and what not I have my 3000d to take care of that. So okay I'll take to my installer about getting it as close as possible to recommended air space if I don't like it. Because I know it'll be a bit bigger than needed.

By the way has anyone ever added a removable beauty board? I'm redoing my box as you see in the picture to the point where the floor and panels I had on the side of the box will be removed for my trunk space. And I'll have a flat board put on top of this to flush the box to height with everything else. And I guess if I need more space if I'm traveling I can remove the side panels to fit back packs and bags and etc, anyone done this before?

Sign in to follow this