Sign in to follow this  
mazzasec

Box for 2 ICON 15"

this guy wants to build a box for my two ICON 15" subs here are the 3 options he gave me

17"H x 42"W x 24"D, 8.174^3ft gross vol. Slot port, 15.5" x 5" x 15.92"Long. After all displacement, 7.048^3ft net box vol. Built from 3/4"UL-MDF

20"H x 40"W x 21"D, this will save you some room, it will put the enclosure at 8.244^3ft gross vol, 7.171^3ft net. Perfect! The port will be 18.5" x 4" x 16.1"Long

22"H x 42"W x 20"D, 8.889^3ft gross, 7.837^3ft net, with a 20.5" x 4" x 15.4"long port.

i drive a 04 ford explorer also and dont want to lose to much space in the trunk

Edited by SEC

2 Icon's in a 8cuft box need more than a single 5" port, way more, you can't use any of those designs. :(

this guy wants to build a box for my two ICON 15" subs here are the 3 options he gave me

20"H x 40"W x 21"D, this will save you some room, it will put the enclosure at 8.244^3ft gross vol, 7.171^3ft net. Perfect! The port will be 18.5" x 4" x 16.1"Long

I like this choice, but thats just me. Aaron can tell you what could work best for you for sure. What is the port area, what is it tuned too? Give him a few..

dont exactly know here are the messages me and him exchanged on another site

Good Morning. I have been building quite a few enclosures for the Fi line lately. They seem to have a super product and people are buying them up. Within the last five weeks I have built two dual 18" ported enclosures and three dual 15"ported. Now for your design. 17"H x 42"W x 24"D, 8.174^3ft gross vol. Slot port, 15.5" x 5" x 15.92"Long@37Hz. After all displacement, 7.048^3ft net box vol. Built from 3/4"UL-MDF. Seams matched and double sealed. Reinforced baffle board. Dado cut end caps. Seams fastened with Tite Bond glue and 1-5/8" counter sunk drywall screws. Walls fully braced and tied in with Hardwood bracing for Zero wall flex. 45 degree boards in the corners to kill standing sound waves. Gold spring loaded binding post. Ports painted black. Gray Ozite carpet. This enclosure will run $257.00 plus shipping. This is a SPL beast and will really do the job for you. I look forward to hearing from you and being of service.

then i asked if i had a not as deep option so id have more trunk room and he then said this

Lets try this, if we go 20"H x 40"W x 21"D, this will save you some room, it will put the enclosure at 8.244^3ft gross vol, 7.171^3ft net. Perfect! The port will be 18.5" x 4" x 16.1"Long@37Hz. This will hammer and sound super doing it, as well as save you a bit of space. I can do the design for the same price.

then i did the measures and needed a little more room and he said this

We could go 22"H x 42"W x 20"D, 8.889^3ft gross, 7.837^3ft net, with a 20.5" x 4" x 15.4"long port. This will svae you another inch of room and gain a bit of chamber space for a bit more output. The price will change just a bit, the enclosure would go to $279.00 and the shipping to $51.00, I could do the design shipped for $300.00. Please let me know what you think.

those were all quotes for 2 FI 15" subs then i asked if they would change for 2 SSA icon 15" and he said he will jus have to change the tuning to 33hz

hm.. after you decide on which subs you get why not just buy some box plans off him and build it yourself? not trying to effect his buisness or anything but you could save more money just building the box yourself. plus it would be a great learning experience.

Please ignore my post I missed the word slot in your first post and thought you were giving length dimensions of a 5" round port. Sorry, that is a much better sounding port than I originally thought. For my tastes the tuning is too high, but if your goal is otuput it will probably make you happy.

hm.. after you decide on which subs you get why not just buy some box plans off him and build it yourself? not trying to effect his buisness or anything but you could save more money just building the box yourself. plus it would be a great learning experience.

ya i know but it probably would add up to that price or pretty close after buying all the tools and i have NO clue what soever how to build

a box and would have no1 to help me so i guess ill just pay the money

Please ignore my post I missed the word slot in your first post and thought you were giving length dimensions of a 5" round port. Sorry, that is a much better sounding port than I originally thought. For my tastes the tuning is too high, but if your goal is otuput it will probably make you happy.

so those boxes do sound pretty good? wanna make sure i get a well built box

The second box you listed sounds good. For daily usage and good output 28-33hz is fine.

how would the 3rd option do?

It would do fine also, Mark (ssaudio) runs a pair in 8.1 I believe. By going larger you need less power to push the subs, but there is a point when the box can be too large. So anything after displacement in the 7 - 8 cube range is good. The actual shape is up to you.

ya i just really wanted option 3 cause i need the depth in the trunk to be able to fit my generator in there so as long as option 3 will do good thats the one i prefer to get