Grinder1989

Old school amps

I just recently got a US Amps VLX-200 and I'm working on a USA-150. I really liked these old amps from the first time I saw a USA-400. What I wanted to know was, is there anywhere I can get information on these amps (like a website). Also how hard are these on electrical systems? I'm going to be running two amps and a XM-6 Crossover and I'm concerned with my setup. I have the 3 big in 1/0, 140 amp alt. and a really good wet cell. I didn't really dimm @ full volume with a Sundown 1500D and a small four channel, but the VLX is huge. Well LMK guys.

An AB amp will take more power than a class D per output (if it is AB), some say they sound better it depends on the quality of the class D...and maybe on opinion. But most class AB are not as big as the large Ds are now. A US amp is high quality, they put out a lot of sound for their ratings. Just check the voltage under use. I see the 200 on ampguts, that is a big one. I would guess you should see no more than a 1/3 more draw at same levels and likely less, compared to a class D. Do some google or other searching, maybe use forum in the search and you can find info on them.

these oldler usamps are known to be major current hogs...on top of that this sucker probably puts out 1kw+ more than the sundown.

also like sqguyib said, its a/b so it will be even MORE hungry for electricity. i would upgrade the alt man

Yeah the big ones are hungry, that is the reason all the big amps are now class D. They take less current and make less heat. Those go for big bucks on ebay though, a lot of people like them.

Well I kinda figured it would draw a lot more current, its just it wasn't too hard on my electrical with my Sundown. I'm upgrading to a yellow top up front and possibly another in the back. I really don't want to upgrade the alt quite yet however I'm considering it. Hell, the stock alt was 70 amp lol. Thanks for the help guys.

Well I kinda figured it would draw a lot more current, its just it wasn't too hard on my electrical with my Sundown. I'm upgrading to a yellow top up front and possibly another in the back. I really don't want to upgrade the alt quite yet however I'm considering it. Hell, the stock alt was 70 amp lol. Thanks for the help guys.

Output POwer at 12.6V:

2 x 200W @ 4 ohms (THD < 0.006%)

2 x 400W @ 2 ohms

2 x 800W @ 1 ohm

2 x 1200W @

Output POwer at 12.6V:

2 x 200W @ 4 ohms (THD < 0.006%)

2 x 400W @ 2 ohms

2 x 800W @ 1 ohm

2 x 1200W @

lol thats a lot of fusage...to be honest, you wont be able to get full power out of that sucker with your current electrical, but it looks like you arent trying to anyways. just be safe on the gains :)

umm i dont think there are any more old school end caps at the factory.. maybe jr or greg can chime in on that

No, I figured I'd be ok with the 200 but damn, not this thing lol. I'm going to have to order those fuses too. If anyone could help me out on that cap, LMK. I'll pay for the part, your trouble, and the shipping. Thanks Flakko.

lol thats a lot of fusage...to be honest, you wont be able to get full power out of that sucker with your current electrical, but it looks like you arent trying to anyways. just be safe on the gains :)

umm i dont think there are any more old school end caps at the factory.. maybe jr or greg can chime in on that

No, I figured I'd be ok with the 200 but damn, not this thing lol. I'm going to have to order those fuses too. If anyone could help me out on that cap, LMK. I'll pay for the part, your trouble, and the shipping. Thanks Flakko.

what voltage are you getting when the bass hits?

400A, that does not even sound right. Maybe you could weld some steel together with it when you are not playing music....

400A, that does not even sound right. Maybe you could weld some steel together with it when you are not playing music....

no, 400a is correct....

http://www.usamps.com/technical/pdf/wp800_99.pdf

^^ more specs than you'll ever need on the vlx-400...jeez that amp is a monster.

edit: its rated 2400w @ .006 thd holy crap. they should put these back into production

what about with the vlx?

Haven't installed it. No distribution blocks yet. I need two more to hook up the crossover and for power for my USA-150

Oh I don't doubt it, I just never used amps that big for myself; have no need. Trying to get a 2400wrms class d cheap right now, but not for me to use. Have a 1K sitting here and I doubt I will ever use that....in fact going to put a smaller 350wrms in my car soon but more efficient subs.

That amps is huge, it will come with the thunder.

proof of the power hungry VLX's i had a vlx-400 in my civic for 2 days and at full tilt it would cut my car off (civic 75 amp alt idling at 400rpms) pretty low rpms but still it pulls alot of power i had a video of all the dimming on my other computer i'll see if i can find it

can't type for chit

Edited by jdizzle

Like I said, weld some steel with them....serious power. Those amps are like works of art. You might need a couple extra batteries in back. Lol, in a civic! That is great.

Like I said, weld some steel with them....serious power. Those amps are like works of art. You might need a couple extra batteries in back. Lol, in a civic! That is great.

Civic? I don't own a civic lol. or are you not talking to me?

Lol, in a civic! That is great.

Sorry that part should have been for Jdizzle. (giant amp, small car)

Why'd you go with AGU fuse blocks? You also realize that the contacts in most all fuse holders are only rated for 80A.

Those amps are current hogs of the worst kind. You are going to have to upgrade the alt. That amp will draw 3-4 times the current of the Sundown. I had worse dimming and voltage drops in my car with a 2100HCCA running 2 ohms (about 800w give or take) than I do with my 1500D. Class A/B vs. Class D is a huge difference. I'd love to have a VLX but no way I'd put it in the car (partly because of the current requirement but mostly because it won't fit). It'd hang on the wall with the rest of my Old School amp collection.

Why'd you go with AGU fuse blocks? You also realize that the contacts in most all fuse holders are only rated for 80A.

Those amps are current hogs of the worst kind. You are going to have to upgrade the alt. That amp will draw 3-4 times the current of the Sundown. I had worse dimming and voltage drops in my car with a 2100HCCA running 2 ohms (about 800w give or take) than I do with my 1500D. Class A/B vs. Class D is a huge difference. I'd love to have a VLX but no way I'd put it in the car (partly because of the current requirement but mostly because it won't fit). It'd hang on the wall with the rest of my Old School amp collection.

Well I'm going with a 200 amp Powermaster alternator and I'm getting a yellow top this weekend. AGU fuse blocks were the only ones I found that can hold 400 amps worth of fuses. They're Phoenix Golds so I'm sure they'll hold up. The only thing left to do is find a 400 amp fuse for my wire, I have 300 on there now. I have the room, and if it doesn't work out too well, I'll sell my ProMos and buy a class D amp.

Boat supply places will have some nice big ANL fuses, but you have to consider the max rated amperage of the wire that you're running as well. 4x8ga out of the distros to the amp, right? 8ga isn't rated for 100A. 1/0 from the battery? 1/0 isn't rated for 400A. You'll need dual battery runs and to fuse the distro correctly for the 8ga. A fuse can handle more than its rated capacity in short bursts so I wouldn't be too concerned about making sure that you get 400A worth of fusing in the distro block.

Boat supply places will have some nice big ANL fuses, but you have to consider the max rated amperage of the wire that you're running as well. 4x8ga out of the distros to the amp, right? 8ga isn't rated for 100A. 1/0 from the battery? 1/0 isn't rated for 400A. You'll need dual battery runs and to fuse the distro correctly for the 8ga. A fuse can handle more than its rated capacity in short bursts so I wouldn't be too concerned about making sure that you get 400A worth of fusing in the distro block.

Thanks for the info on the ANL's but maybe I should note that I'm not going to even try to push this amp to its limits in my car. I don't have the money, or the electrical to support it so I'm really not too concerned with maximum power. The gain will be damn near all the way down @ 1.4 ohms. Just for looks. Function comes when I decide to get an old Lincoln. lol.