Sign in to follow this  
coobies5

= [ hifonics amp problem

i hooked up my hifonics bxi1206d amp and its not getting power supposively.

i dont get it, its grounded and runnin power from the battery, and when i pulled out the fuse in it and it shot some sparks. the only other thing i can think of is maybe there is a ground wire in the back of the h/u isnt grounded....if i recall right. i messed with the gains and still....the led saying whether or not it has power didnt light up at all. any help?

lol i really just had this problem like less than a day ago... and was super close to give up i talked to mike at maxxsonics and this is what helped me.

1) make sure your rca cables have a splitter on it if you have stereo connection shows in the manual

2) make sure you have gains turned to about 3 o'clock, and subwoofer is on the unit...

if none of those help email mike and he will gladly help you

Your description of what you have done so far is scaring me.

Phrases like " and when i pulled out the fuse in it and it shot some sparks."

"maybe there is a ground wire in the back of the h/u isnt grounded"

"if i recall right. i messed with the gains and still....the led saying whether or not it has power didnt light up at all. any help?"

You shouldn't create sparks :(

There is a ground wire and it is very important, to top it off the stock one sucks and shouldn't be used.

Messing with gains is not an appropriate installation technique. If you aren't sure of what you are doing in the first place you should do some reading and asking and not messing.

Without some more details it isn't going to be so easy to help you. Give us a layout of what is connected to what and how. As you think about it use a DMM and make sure that you are getting voltage at all appropriate locations and then let us know if it still isn't on.

*I assume that you have at least 5 wires connected to your amp. 1- power, 2-ground, 3-remote turn on, 4-left rca, 5-right rca:: also I assume you have checked your fuses as well

Was this amp new or is it possibly dead?

understandable.....

well yes i have those 5 wires to my amp and then of course the woofer's cables as well

first off i have the positive wire from the battery through the firewall and ran to the positive plug on the amp and with the inline fuse about 8 inches away from the battery

then i have the remote turn on lead and rca cables ran on the opposite side of the power cable ran to the amp as well and have the turn on lead crimped to the h/u and rca's plugged in the back of the h/u and to the amp

the ground is connected to the amp and grounded to the chassis via self-tapping screw

ahhhhh im soo confused

yes......i just talked to a buddy who said i might have to get some sandpaper and rub the paint off the chassis maybe.....and then he said to also run the remote turn on to the power on the amp and "jump" it and see if that does anything.

should i do so?

Yes to the sandpaper, maybe to the "jumping it". Don't ghetto rig anything yet. Lets try and track down the problem first.

Are you positive the main power wire is getting power? Have you tested it with a DMM yet? Make sure the amp ground is on clean bare metal and TIGHT.

Next, check the remote turn on lead from the HU. Is it getting power? It should have at least 12volts on it when the car is on.

Report back here after you have done those things.

x2 on checking the remote turn on lead wire coming from the hu. check and see if your turn on lead wire is pinched or broken if hidden under trim. usualy the wire used is quite thin and can be broken fairly easy.

use a dmm to read a signal from the hu then check for a signal at the amp the amp.

also not knowing what headunit you are running but is the remote turn on lead hooked up to a motorized antenna lead? try turning on the "radio" instead of a cd or such to see if the amp turns on.

its not on a motorized antenna lead.....h/u is in signature ; ] alpine cde-9873

we tried a different ground and nothing happened.

we took it out and hooked it up to a 12v battery source and nothing still.

= [

let me rephrase that.....we hooked it up to a 12v battery source and had the turn on lead plugged in from the positive of the source and voila....it has power.....how would i hook this up in my truck then? have a little wire from the positive over to the turn on lead terminal as well?

alright...problem solved! =D

first off let me say thanks for everyone's input and help

....Thank you! = ]

and what seemed to have been the problem, was a bad ground and the turn on lead....i spliced it to the ignition switch wire so now when i turn on the truck it comes on and when its off, its off.

Now im off to putting my truck back together and finishing my sealed box for the ssd = ]

thanks again everyone and happy holidays! <3

I'd put money on an internal setting on the alpine not being on. Perhaps something to do with the remote turn on lead.

Go read the manual.

ehhh maybe.....i like how if i turn on the truck it comes on and when its off it shuts off.......

ehhh maybe.....i like how if i turn on the truck it comes on and when its off it shuts off.......

Yeah... that's what the remote turn on is for. What you're doing works. But if the deck has the option, unless it really is broken (which I doubt) that's what you should be using.