dem beats

Help choosing active front stage

From a lot of help from many folks here at SSA, M5, jim, neon and acidburn come to mind(thanks dudes), I decided to go active. I ordered my pio 880 here from SSA because in the end, i've been helped here more and would rather give my hard earned dollars to this place when they are an option.

I will be deadening the whole vehicle at some point and doing the doors when I start on the speakers, I cant even figure out how to pop the doors off on this vehicle, and as it's cold as chit I haven't spent anytime on it yet. Future plans also are to add a car-puter, and bass at some point

I now need help again for going active with the drivers for the front stage. Right now I am going to leave off even thinking about the bass. It's extremely important to me to have it, but to me without great mids, bass is nothing. The highs... well. Meh.

I have an older v12 alpine amp to power them, but I have no clue what would be a nice set for the front stage. I'm going to be putting the install in my 98 expedition EB edition. It has a 2000 dash but shouldn't affect the speaker install much, just give more room for car-puter innards and HU. My goal is to have very very capable punchy full sounding mid bass that extends low and covers mids with authority. To me highs are more negotiable in the way I usually turn the highs down, more so in a car, as my ears seam hyper sensetive to shrill highs. I would also if possible like to keep the install simple, in that It would be nice if I didn't have to build an enclosure for the speakers. It can be done, but it doesn't sound like my idea of a good time to get all that to fit in the door. I could go with kicks, but I just don't think it will trip my trigger.

my goal is to not go over 300. I would like to spend less than 200, but is there anything that can make that goal work for less than 200 for all 4 speakers?

Thanks all

Where are the mounting locations and how do you rank the importance of midrange to midbass. ANy particular music preference? How much power does that amp do for four channels at 4ohm?

Where are the mounting locations and how do you rank the importance of midrange to midbass. ANy particular music preference? How much power does that amp do for four channels at 4ohm?

I am not sure about the power. I will check that next time I go to my storage unit and check it out.

It's the alpine v12 4 channel. I don't know if that helps.

I want the mids and midbass to be the shining star I love to hear the strums of the guitar and bass and punch from drums.

My favorite music deals with allot of rock/european metal sounds and older rock, Hip Hop a bit of rap, tons of techno. Much acoustic music and some powerfull classical.

Mounting. Probably in door, I can fabricate any mount for the in door aplication and cut the pannell some no problem... I don't know if I want to build/buy kicks. I fear damaging the speakers if it's down there. The tweeters can go any where that sounds good. The retarded a pillar comes point in the expo though so it would be pretty diffocult, but I could cut and mount if the tweet is small enough

If you have to pick between midrange clarity and midbass output which way will you lean? Any size constraints?

If you have to pick between midrange clarity and midbass output which way will you lean? Any size constraints?

clarity. I can't imagine with that close of a near field situation where speakers in this range would be quiet by any means.

Volume is important I supose, I want it to be louder than road noise, but I definately don't want 150 DBs from my mids at 2-3 feet away from my ear. And with a tweet that close... I gues I'm trying to say i'm not chasing numbers and I'm sure it will get plenty loud with any quality speaker sitting that close and clarity wins over loud every time.

good question though. Size? Well, I think only the tweeters would be limited, as I don't knwo how I could mount a larger tweeter in the a pillar I have to deal with. Unless you think a dash mount would work.

I'm open to any ideas.

Also I just sold a car for parts so I have a little bit extra cash to deal with now which is nice, I can dedicate another 50-100 to this project. Again, the less I spend the better as I still have to matt the vehicle and fabricate amp and buy a sub and box... but I think that will be a long time out from now.

=P

Thanks so much for the help M-5

Is this all goin in a Expendition? My cousin has a 01 and I can give you some advice on how to take those doors off, its very simple.

Is this all goin in a Expendition? My cousin has a 01 and I can give you some advice on how to take those doors off, its very simple.

sweet.

Mine is a 98 with a 2000 dash.

I'll look you up for sure when i'm ready. It's oooh... about a high of 0 right now in MN so I'll be holding off on that work.

Your budget boost opens both worlds. If you can swing it the Seas W18NX has outstanding midbass and midrange, for your application it would be my favorite driver but it eats a lot of your budget, before the addition you couldn't do it. :)

Your budget boost opens both worlds. If you can swing it the Seas W18NX has outstanding midbass and midrange, for your application it would be my favorite driver but it eats a lot of your budget, before the addition you couldn't do it. :)

you would pick it over the ones you have?

also what is the difference in the e and the ex in the seas you have in the bmw. The Ex's would only be a few bucks more per speaker. I would have to save for a while longer... but I'm not installing untill summer probably anyway.

I just like to buy everything peace by peace early and do it all at once

I noticed you have significantly less costly models in the truck. Do those come even close? how would you compair them. I've never heard anything from seas before.

My HT uses the energy RC series and uses the phase plus style woofer which look damn cool, and seam to sound different than your average dust cap style too.

Thanks for so much help.

The CA's are great, in particular in the midbass realm, the EX's are great in particular in the midrange realm, the Nextels are pretty much the best of both worlds. I bought the EX's for a steal otherwise I would have the Nextels. As for what to buy, it is really budget dependent my truck is a second vehicle that when I purchased drivers was going to rarely get driven...of course 70k in 2 years isn't exactly rarely driven but at the time of purchase I didn't know I would do that. I haven't changed them as I am hemming and hawing on replacing it and don't have a lot of time.

For a first install you should avoid either Excel, they have a nasty breakup mode and aren't easy to eq. The CA's on the other hand are a breeze and require nearly nothing, the Nextel needs a little love but is much, much more forgiving than a hard coned mid.

The CA's are great, in particular in the midbass realm, the EX's are great in particular in the midrange realm, the Nextels are pretty much the best of both worlds. I bought the EX's for a steal otherwise I would have the Nextels. As for what to buy, it is really budget dependent my truck is a second vehicle that when I purchased drivers was going to rarely get driven...of course 70k in 2 years isn't exactly rarely driven but at the time of purchase I didn't know I would do that. I haven't changed them as I am hemming and hawing on replacing it and don't have a lot of time.

For a first install you should avoid either Excel, they have a nasty breakup mode and aren't easy to eq. The CA's on the other hand are a breeze and require nearly nothing, the Nextel needs a little love but is much, much more forgiving than a hard coned mid.

You explain things very well. With respect and information I'm probably going to go with the nextels. It will be my first install of it's kind for me where i'm putting SO much heart into an install. I want this to be mine and not just throw cash at it. What do you think for tweets? all clarity and NO harsh sound.

Thanks again so much.

If your budget allows, the Peerless HDS would pair really nice with those and fit your description pretty darn good too.

One other option I feel compelled to point out. IMO you would be better off with a temporary active install before buying any of this. Reason being no matter what you choose there are other options. It is a really good idea to have a baseline before dropping money. What I am really saying is buy a used set of drivers that aren't so expensive and install them. Listen for a month or two, tell us what you don't like/like and then buy your perfect setup.

If you are impatient the HDS/W18NX combo is pure ear secks though. Just don't be dumb early on the setup and blow one of the drivers as they don't give them away. :)

If your budget allows, the Peerless HDS would pair really nice with those and fit your description pretty darn good too.

One other option I feel compelled to point out. IMO you would be better off with a temporary active install before buying any of this. Reason being no matter what you choose there are other options. It is a really good idea to have a baseline before dropping money. What I am really saying is buy a used set of drivers that aren't so expensive and install them. Listen for a month or two, tell us what you don't like/like and then buy your perfect setup.

If you are impatient the HDS/W18NX combo is pure ear secks though. Just don't be dumb early on the setup and blow one of the drivers as they don't give them away. :)

I think I will wait on the excel's I think I will go with the CA18rnx's. Would the HDS still be an ok option? Those shipped from madi sound would be about right with each peice being about 70 bucks per. Any better prices around on those?

EDIT:

this is a big step for me I am the kind of guy who almost every time buys more than I can work with, and waaay more than I need. Thank you for the "sound" advice.

Ok cheesy one liners done 4 me today.

I can upgrade later.

Edited by dem beats

*didn't go back and re-read

Did I not recommend to buy used first? Easy to change later on then.

I love the CA's and they will work more than fine with the HDS. Both outstanding drivers. :) Make sure you have "room" for the tweet though, it isn't small by any means.

*didn't go back and re-read

Did I not recommend to buy used first? Easy to change later on then.

I love the CA's and they will work more than fine with the HDS. Both outstanding drivers. :) Make sure you have "room" for the tweet though, it isn't small by any means.

you did.

are you selling yours at a good price?

=)

i have been mapping that out, and it may have to be door mounted, no room at all on A pillar. maybe dash but damn that would be a big hole.

thanks so much for all the help. i'll be cruising the forum for used speakers, but i may just get impatient and shoot to kill.

lol