Sign in to follow this  
stratusrt01

Got my new toy to play with

DSC01900.jpg

going to be testing it out in my 6th order bandpass on a Sundown SAZ-3000. I'll post up the results later next week.

Here is is next to the competition (still have to drop a recone in it):

DSC01904.jpg

I'm sure it will do the job nicely. I've always used DD's for my high powered setups, but lately their build quality has been slacking. I've gotten about 5 subs in the past couple months that has misaligned coils from the buildhouse, spiders coming loose from the basket, and dead coils from the buildhouse, so obviously it's time to move on.

Nick, I'm actually the one who called you yesterday asking about the DP 21's for my truck. If the 12" version meets my requirements, we can do something big in the truck with the 21's for my Street Max 1-2 build on 4 SAZ-3000's.

I'm sure it will do the job nicely. I've always used DD's for my high powered setups, but lately their build quality has been slacking. I've gotten about 5 subs in the past couple months that has misaligned coils from the buildhouse, spiders coming loose from the basket, and dead coils from the buildhouse, so obviously it's time to move on.

Nick, I'm actually the one who called you yesterday asking about the DP 21's for my truck. If the 12" version meets my requirements, we can do something big in the truck with the 21's for my Street Max 1-2 build on 4 SAZ-3000's.

sweet.

That would be nutty.

No problem, just let me know! We are working as fast as we can on that 21" cone, as soon as its ready you'll see it.

Thanks,

Nick

I actually got some time yesterday to build the 6th order bandpass for the car. Going to slap it in the car today, hook up one of my SAZ-3000's to it, and give it a bit of a workout.

I'll post my thoughts tonight on it, just wish my termlab was here, I'd give you guys some numbers on it, but the shop's closed today, and I don't have keys :(

re-set the gains, adjusted the EQ, and I'm ready to make my short review after a 4 hour drive to SC and back tonight.

I'm fairly impressed so far with this subwoofer. A few people heard it today, and couldn't believe I was running a single 12. 1st off, if you're looking for a nice, civilized subwoofer, this isn't it. When you want something just to break doors down and steal your oldest daughter, this could possibly be the subwoofer. While comparing it with the DD 9512 directly, it has better musical abilities than the DD, and doesn't give up much at all in pure loudness to the DD. I'll have them both on the meter later this week, so I'll know exact numbers then.

My 1st impression after setting the gains to give the sub a clean 1500rms, which is rated power was that this thing needs more. I then bumped it up to right at 3000 watts, and in the 6th order, it seemed to be a bit overkill. I could get the sub to stink rather easily, although it cooled off extremely fast once I backed down a bit. The cooling system seems to work extraordinarily well on this sub. I kind of figured in a 6th order, 3000rms may be a bit much, but decided to give it hell anyways. Although I would feel comfortable doing bassrace in the bandpass with 3000 watts in my setup. I think that for daily driving, 2000-2200 watts would be perfect.

Since there are really no posted T/S parameters on these, I'm going to place a guess that the Fs is in the low 40hz range. Couple that with the fact that my box peaks at 44hz, and my car peaks at 44 hz, this sub can only be described as brutal. It doesn't have that mechanical sound that I've come to hear from most SPL oriented drivers, especially the DD 9500's, which is great. It's a bit smoother sounding, but at least in my setup, where everything kind of collides at 44hz, this sub is a beast.

If I wasn't enjoying it so much, I'd do some max power testing on burps, but I'm sure IA has already done that, so I'll stick with around 3000rms on it, and continue to just smile when people don't believe it's only a single 12.

Nice write up. Can you copy and paste it as a reivew in the review section also?

re-set the gains, adjusted the EQ, and I'm ready to make my short review after a 4 hour drive to SC and back tonight.

I'm fairly impressed so far with this subwoofer. A few people heard it today, and couldn't believe I was running a single 12. 1st off, if you're looking for a nice, civilized subwoofer, this isn't it. When you want something just to break doors down and steal your oldest daughter, this could possibly be the subwoofer. While comparing it with the DD 9512 directly, it has better musical abilities than the DD, and doesn't give up much at all in pure loudness to the DD. I'll have them both on the meter later this week, so I'll know exact numbers then.

My 1st impression after setting the gains to give the sub a clean 1500rms, which is rated power was that this thing needs more. I then bumped it up to right at 3000 watts, and in the 6th order, it seemed to be a bit overkill. I could get the sub to stink rather easily, although it cooled off extremely fast once I backed down a bit. The cooling system seems to work extraordinarily well on this sub. I kind of figured in a 6th order, 3000rms may be a bit much, but decided to give it hell anyways. Although I would feel comfortable doing bassrace in the bandpass with 3000 watts in my setup. I think that for daily driving, 2000-2200 watts would be perfect.

Since there are really no posted T/S parameters on these, I'm going to place a guess that the Fs is in the low 40hz range. Couple that with the fact that my box peaks at 44hz, and my car peaks at 44 hz, this sub can only be described as brutal. It doesn't have that mechanical sound that I've come to hear from most SPL oriented drivers, especially the DD 9500's, which is great. It's a bit smoother sounding, but at least in my setup, where everything kind of collides at 44hz, this sub is a beast.

If I wasn't enjoying it so much, I'd do some max power testing on burps, but I'm sure IA has already done that, so I'll stick with around 3000rms on it, and continue to just smile when people don't believe it's only a single 12.

Great to heard you like it, I've had a ton of good feedback so far! Any everyone comments on how good it sounds, no mechanical noise, no leads slap, and how good the cooling works.

Thanks,

Nick