truckaudioman

horribly stupid noob question

I hate to ask this, but I think I may have been misinformed. What would be better/perform better, 2 10" subs ported with 1k watts each in the optimum enclosure or 1 15" sub ported in its optimum enclosure. I keep hearing conflicting stories and want to settle it once and for all. How would the two compare should be the real question......

It honestly depends on what your looking for let me explain

2 10's are gonna hit higher notes and be a bit less sloppy and will sound better playing your most rock/country songs because they will hit quicker with the drum bass "in most cases yes i dont wanna get into this argument lol"

1 15 is gonna get lower and is ideal for a hip-hop/rap music lover because it will murder them lows but wont hit the highs as fast and accurate.

ok....so, as it seems, i have only ever been told half the story. Thanks for the input, now i know what to expect between the two.

It's all about the individuals specs of a speaker, an 18 will play an 30hz tone just as fast as an 8 or 10.

It's all about the individuals specs of a speaker, an 18 will play an 30hz tone just as fast as an 8 or 10.

Did i not just say i didnt wanna argue with this point? its called a survey, maybe he wanted a re xxx 10 compared to a xxx 15, read the full post before you attempt to give me chit, its common knowledge. Yes i know a 18 will play just as quick but honestly how many do? One of my best friends has a 18 that would play quick as chit in his van. Mj-18 to be exact. Im not a noob on this i just know what newer ppl are into i deal with them everyday at my job.

2 10's are gonna hit higher notes and be a bit less sloppy and will sound better playing your most rock/country songs because they will hit quicker with the drum bass "in most cases yes i dont wanna get into this argument lol"

1 15 is gonna get lower and is ideal for a hip-hop/rap music lover because it will murder them lows but wont hit the highs as fast and accurate.

Not at all correct, you are completely 100% wrong. :(

There is no right answer as it is driver and box dependent, but the post above isn't even close to right.

There is no right answer as it is driver and box dependent, but the post above isn't even close to right.

So your going to tell me that a 10 in a ported box will play just as low as a 15 ported? the only box i have experinced in a 10 inch getting low is a bandpass/trans line i built in school.

So your going to tell me that a 10 in a ported box will play just as low as a 15 ported? the only box i have experinced in a 10 inch getting low is a bandpass/trans line i built in school.

Sure can. Stupid to compare them in ported boxes anyways.

just thowin stuff out, but what if they were Fi BL's in the optimum enclosures tuned to....eh, 32Hz (just threw that out there). How would they stand against each other.

i am all messed up now, lol.

just thowin stuff out, but what if they were Fi BL's in the optimum enclosures tuned to....eh, 32Hz (just threw that out there). How would they stand against each other.

Honestly i am too i dont get how this is logical at all.

More cone area gives you more output in that case. If the drivers had identical motors that would pretty much be the only difference. Of course with different motors come different responses.

ok, so it does come down to pretty much the nitty gritty little thing of cone area, that is kinda what i expected. thanks M5

I'll also beg the question, what do you define as "what would be better/perform better"?

Are you looking for reliability? Output? Sound Quality? Efficiency?

Performing better is a broad category with many facets. You'll need to be more specific.

good point. i was thinkin getting loud with the term performance. personally, i am still strongly debatin what exactly i want to do in my setup, lol. i am just tryin to learn the "game" of things at the moment.

If loud is your goal, go for the most cone area possible. Also remember to tune your box higher than normal, 35hz-38hz would be a nice number for something obnoxiously loud.

thanks. i still got some debatin on my system, but i will probably go with two 10's tuned to 35 Hz or so.

That sounds great! Not a whole lotta people do 10's anymore. I personally like smaller setups that get loud.

yeah thats why i got 2 ICON 10s so that i can show all the peeps around here that 10s can get loud as or louder than 15s

thanks. i still got some debatin on my system, but i will probably go with two 10's tuned to 35 Hz or so.

That sounds great! Not a whole lotta people do 10's anymore. I personally like smaller setups that get loud.

For loud, I only do 10's... for sq i would like to try an 18" but not for volume, for low frequency extension.

forgive the question but for the type of music have you considered sealed? ive run everything from six 10w6's sealed to 4 12s sealed (for comp) with 2 tens for day to day molded into the rear deck, to 3 10s ported, 1 15 ported the list goes on and on. Different stages of life, different desires...

just that personally i love the power handling, sound, and response of a small sealed enclosure, just personally i think it would be a good choice for your build with the music taste.