KickinAudio

Home Audio Subwoofer Suggestions

I've been out of the home audio loop for a while now. A friend of mine would like to spend some of their tax return money on a new home theater setup. I suggested going with a 3.1 setup because of the shape and seating of the room.

The area I'm weakest on is the subwoofer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a subwoofer? Preferably someone with experience with the sub they recommend that can be bought or ordered, not "build a box for a Fi 15" ;) "

The amp will most likely be the Denon AVR-587.

Have you looked into the Epik stuff?

www.epiksubwoofers.com

Chad Kuypers of Ascendant Audio's new company.

These are nice, but way over budget (which I failed to mention). I'm looking for something more common, and cheaper. Under $250.

How much of a nitpicker is this person? :)

Two Mach5 drivers downfiring running in stereo would be enough for most people...would make room placement easier, and you could find plate amps decently cheap on Apexjr.com or PE.

Ahh you guys are killing me!! Don't make me send them to the big box store for an Infinity woofer

The market for pre-built subs, in a word, sucks. If you want something in that budget you mentioned you're pretty much left to that Infinity woofer...

Even when I bought my Rava three years ago, $399 was on the very, very, very low end of the preassembled sub market.

Hsu Research might have something for $250...

Look into some Kef Audio stuff on ebay or at a dealer. Preferably get them the PSW2500.

You'll be happy with the results. I am (I have two) :D

$250 for the sub & amp??? I can't say I consider that a budget. IMO for that budget you cannot buy pre-built :(

Casey, could you build the box for them?

No :(

I'm trying trying to talk em' into piecing together a setup instead of buying a home-theater-in-the-box deal.