Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

After workout food/drink

I was wondering if there is anything I should eat/drink shortly after my workouts (particularly days I'm in the gym lifting). Most of the time my workouts end at 9:00 PM so something light and around 100 calories would be preferred.

Hmm, I was with you until you said 9pm and light.

My workout ends at 6, and I usually get something high in protein. Or I grill a steak and have a leafy salad.

You will want to aim to replenish carbohydrates. More on this later ... I'm teaching a course until 8PM this evening.

I will substitute a weight gainer/meal replacement shake post-workout if I do not have the time for solid food. Careful on the excess protein intake as it could be converted and stored as fat. You are definitely a special case regarding this 9PM post-workout nutrition, wanting to lose weight, and packing everything in so close to bed.

I usually drink a 2 scoop shake with skim milk right when I get out of the gym.

Steve mentioned it, a protien shake is good, but that late maybe not a regular helping. Some night snacks like a banana and turkey jerky are good.

Go with A protein shake. Idk if u heard of it but XS Protein shake. I drink that and its pretty awesome for after workouts

Go with A protein shake.

Why? His diet likely ready includes more protein than his body is able to use. He should be focussing on repleting his glycogen stores by ingesting carbohydrates (both high and low GI).

Milk and a banana would be fine. Chocolate milk is great post workout.

chocolate milk...mmm

Not only is it good for post workout, but it tastes good too !

Go with A protein shake.

Milk and a banana would be fine. Chocolate milk is great post workout.

Chocolate Milk FTW! :)

Thanks

I would go with a Casein (sp?) protein shake at that time. A slow release protein at night. Fruit is always good too!

Eating after 9 is bad if you are looking for weight loss. If you can workout earlier than its ok. But any type of nutritious food. Me personally I take a meal replacement drink which is around 150 calories and vitamins right after my workouts. No Micky D's. No matter how bad the craving is ;)