Sign in to follow this  
InfinitePeace

Electrical System Integrity.

I'm gearing up for the impending install in my SC400. I just ordered a 180a High Output alternator that should be here in a week or so.

My tenative plan is to run 2 12" Fi Q's (D1 Ohm) on a SAZ-1500D. These will be running along side a JL450/4 for Mids/Highs.

Am I going to be okay? Ohiogen, who is selling me the alternator, suggested I throw a Red Top in the back in addition to all of this but I don't want to if I don't have to, as it's just added weight and more money on top of the ~$550 alternator that I didn't want to have to buy in the first place.... It's a LSQ Install and I don't plan on blaring them in a parking lot with the key off or anything irresponsible.

Thoughts?

Edited by InfinitePeace

Should be fine, and extra battery power is never wasted :)

Personaly Id wait till you get the alt in and see what the sheet it comes with says Ohio has a reputation of being very underrated

OhioGenalt.jpg

as you can see its rated at 160 amps but maxes out at 224 amps

Personaly Id wait till you get the alt in and see what the sheet it comes with says Ohio has a reputation of being very underrated

OhioGenalt.jpg

as you can see its rated at 160 amps but maxes out at 224 amps

They did say that it maxed higher than that... so the "rating" of 180a is more or less a rating that it should never go lower than, theoretically, but at times it will exceed that rating?

do i see 0 amps untill 1500rpm's or am i seeing things?

my bad, alt speed not enigne speed.

dont feel bad when I first saw the sheet I didnt understand it either.

i can read the chart but without pully specs its hard to determin equivelent engine speed.

what I ment was when I first got it at first I didnt realize that the chart measured alt RPM and not engine RPM

Sorry but in your first post, you meant YELLOW top instead of RED top right?

Honestly, I'm new to the battery game too. Ohiogen recommended a red top and NOT a yellow top. I've actually seen conflicting views everywhere. Right now I run an almost brand new Interstate battery as my main, and was hoping to not have to get a second battery.

Care to explain why yellow and not red? I'd like to learn the difference.

Yellow is a Deepcycle (what you want for car audio), Red is a Sealed starting battery.

why not look into a Powermaster battery stronger than the optimas. but of corse Ohio Gen wont reccomend them cause they are a competeing alt company

Id personaly replace your front battery with one of the powermaster XS Power batts such as the D2400

the powermaster battery is quite a bit more powerful that a regular lead acid battery which will help you out if you fall down into the range where you are pulling power off of the battery

So, should I try it with my existing battery just to see how the performance is, or you're positive that I should just do it.. I mean, I can spend the money, but $200 is $200 if I can avoid it.

Id personaly get the upgraded battery. I know with my 3000D on alot of music I can maintain 14volts but on certain notes it will suck the juice and thats where the batteries come into play

Argh, you people are determined to break me just to have a good stereo arent you? Which battery do I need, and how do I know which one will fit in my car? I'm not trying to aska stupid question but there is about 832749832 different shapes, sizes, and models of batteries and I'm educated enough to know that power is not my thing.

Argh, you people are determined to break me just to have a good stereo arent you? Which battery do I need, and how do I know which one will fit in my car? I'm not trying to aska stupid question but there is about 832749832 different shapes, sizes, and models of batteries and I'm educated enough to know that power is not my thing.

you are going to need to measure the avalible space for a battery

if you dont want to spend a lot get bout 2 blimished yellow top g31 optimas they work great and they only cost bout 120 each

if you dont want to spend a lot get bout 2 blimished yellow top g31 optimas they work great and they only cost bout 120 each

I'll spend whatever I need to, I've stopped adding up how much this is all costing me because I'm afraid. 2x120 is about the same price as the powermaster the earlier poster suggested, and I don't really want to do 2 batteries if I don't have to. My current battery is almost brand new, that's what sucks, but its a replacement for a bad one I had about 6 months ago so it really only cost me like $60.

So, powermaster is the suggestion then? One of those as my main battery in addition to the 180a alternator and I should be good?

Okay, where is a good place to get said powermaster? My current Interstate battery is pretty large, physically.. so I don't THINK size should be an issue, but I'll take measurements and then what, just buy the biggest one I can? Do I need to buy a specific size so it fits snugly in the tray, or should I be more concerned about "electrical" size?

you can get powermaster from Jegs www.jegs.com or summit racing www.summitracing.com

personaly Id get the biggest you can afford and fit

Sign in to follow this