eclipsepb25

BTL emergency!!! =[

so yesterday when i was riding i started to smell a funny smell... and then a couple minutes later my sub cut off. I was running my amp at little less then half gain, LPF set at 120hz, and subsonic set at 35hz. Today i tested my amp with some other subs and the amp is fine, so i take the BTL out to examine it and i cant find anything wrong with it. Tinsel leads are still soldered and the VC is still attached to the cone from what i can see. No rips in the spider or anything like that. Its fully loaded as well so it should be able to handle alot of power which. Can anyone please tell me what might be wrong with my sub and what i can try to do to fix it or will i just have to get a recone? thanks -wes

Edited by wesley

Wow, your settings sound jacked.

Your HPF was at 120??? you shouldn't even have an HPF for subs.

LPF should be at the most 80hz.

Subsonic should be set one octave lower than your tuning frequency.

By half gain you mean you set the gain on the amp to 1/2 way up? Or you set it to half of the proper setting that you measured? If you mean half way you were probably clipping the shiz outta that amp and sending that cruddy signal to the sub and killed it. 1/2 gain sounds overkill unless your RCA voltages are low (most decks these days put out WAY more then enough)

have you put a DMM across the coils?

and i second the 1/2 gain post, did you just set it at half or is that where it actually should be?

have you put a DMM across the coils?

and i second the 1/2 gain post, did you just set it at half or is that where it actually should be?

no i havent yet and its set at actual half gain, The prevolts are pretty sucky though. I think like 2 volt output

setting them at half is not how you set a gain. I'm willing to bet you were clipping it and killed the sub. I can't stress enough that you have to learn to set your gains properly if you want your system to last.

and just because the vc is still attached to the former doesn't mean it isn't blown. get a dmm and check the resistance.

Ride down to Christiansburg tomorrow and i'll take a look at it.

Nick you got this one under control? Ill call you this morning...

Yep got it, putting it in with the parts that i need...