Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Clinton

Proper form.

This is a bugaboo with me. People who are in danger of hurting themselves because they don't have proper form. I was looking for some simple images online for this but did not find any quality images yet that show the correct movement. Anyone have some?

http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Right hand side column, select muscle group, select exercise.

Should give some idea of the proper form.

Proper posture is critical. It is amazing how many people don't even realize that they are standing or sitting incorrectly. Then when you adjust it so it is correct, they feel ridiculous. I still slouch at my desk sometimes - it is really tough to sit straight up and sitting is one of the worst things for your back.

This is a great thread, Aaron. Especially for those doing squats, deadlifts, and any other dumbbell or barbell exercise where the risk of hurting yourself greatly increases vs. machine use. We should go through a few exercises and point out selective things regarding form/posture and other little tidbits.

Deadlifts seem to be a big problem. Seeing too many people with head down, shoulders sloutched, and back bent. It is one of the most important and encompasing lifts and few people understand the correct form. :(

well then dont show them this freak of nature,

Konstantine Konstanov. antithesis of picture perfect form, but hey it works for him.

I think probably the most common problem is that people try to squat the weight up. This leads to hips being too low, forcing lower back curve. Teaching someone how to arch the back properly is priceless. Due to limb length and other stuff, some people just need to almost stiff leg it up, while others can drop hips really low.

Some people can just power though it and get lucky and not get hurt.

On the video, the music is great, but yeah he hunches over bad.

I have noticed a lot of horrible form with some of my workout out members since I started working out. Luckily for myself I have trained with some very good instructors before hand and posture is now nothing but second nature to me.

If your looking to help somebody improve there form and help there back the biggest thing to me is just to look ahead. When you look ahead it really almost forces you to arch your back correctly. Sometimes my form falters when deep into the workout but just looking straight ahead puts my entire body back into form

Form is CRITICAL for new lifters. That man in the video. His back is strong enough where he can afford to cheat a little bit on form. But for a deadlift or a squat good form goes as followed. (This is what i've learned form MANY football coaches, bodybuilders, and powerlifters, feel free to edit and add opinions.)

Belts are nice, but also make you weaker because you body doesn't have to work as hard. My rule of thumb is: No belt until im at twice my body weight. (or close)

Squat: Feet shoulder width apart. Toes STRAIGHT. Don't let your knees buckle or quiver. Knees NEVER to go past your toes. BIG CHEST. Lock your lower back, DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT let your lower back bend forward. Drop down to parallel or close to with the floor. Breathe in on the way down and out on the way up, be explosive.

Deadlift: Pretty much the same as above. Make sure you're lower back isn't bending!!! I've seen people get SERIOUSLY hurt doing this lift. But if done correctly its one of the best. Don't worry about weight on either lifts right away, FORM FORM FORM.

Those two lifts are the ones that form is most important with.

As Arnold would say: A little body English isn't a bad thing.

Edited by abxx

Arnold was unreal, he worked harder then anyone else.

Structure governs form.

Form follows function.

Therefore your form is dependent on structure.

Strength depends on position. Change position, change strength.

Point: there is no such thing as "correct form" outside the individual's structural integrity and position.

And this is why you see the Russian guy being able to lift a chitton of weight off the floor essentially with his hydrolic amplifier system of his back. His legs are TINY! His form is not correct for anyone else except him. He's merely getting away with it, that's all. As they say "Do not try at home."

I know my form sucks, and hell with my lack of GOOD stabalizer muscles, I can't squat at all.

Add in a shit knee, and its way worse

Makes me feel pathetic.

J

A good number of people still do not know how to do clean bicept curls. Too many swinging the weight and doing most of the pulling with the shoulders and forearms.

Aaron,

could u explain more on how to move form wise, so as not to utilize your forearms on bicep curls?

Aaron,

could u explain more on how to move form wise, so as not to utilize your forearms on bicep curls?

I was referring to the people who grab bells about 50% over what they should be using and they swing and yank the bell up, only rotating the wrist at the last moment. This gets very little focus on the biceps themselves.

As for form, there are a few different curl positions; standing with bar, standing with bells, sitting with bells, incline bench with bells, curl rack, reverse incline bench with bar hanging, seated single bell curl between legs, etc. Anyway, the point is to use the bicep through the entire motion and not move your body during the rep. If you are standing, one way to really help isolate is to put your back against the wall, that way you cannot swing the bell up with your body. Also, some gyms have formed flat bar guides that you hang over your neck that does not allow your elbows to pass behind the vertical plane of your abs. It is always better to go down a step in weight and be able to complete a full set of slow and controlled reps.