Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

alternator vs battery

when designing a setup, when is it required to have more than 1 battery in the vehicle?

If you have an alt capable of supplying the entire demand of current, let's say for a sundown 3000d, would you not need any extra batteries?

Extra batteries are more like a voltage stabilizer while the vehicle is running, correct?

when designing a setup, when is it required to have more than 1 battery in the vehicle?

If you have an alt capable of supplying the entire demand of current, let's say for a sundown 3000d, would you not need any extra batteries?

Extra batteries are more like a voltage stabilizer while the vehicle is running, correct?

if you have a saz 3000d you must have more batteries, it is a must. i think jacob recomends at least 1 power master 3100 i think its just for the amp... then one for the crank battery for your car. or truck ...

the batts from what i understand is just like a water tower....well kinda like a water tower...

it provides a pool of power close, so when the amp calls for it.. its there in a hurry... water towers also create water pressure aswell... has nothing to do with amps...

i run three yellow tops and a h/o alt. i got enough power

reason i post is because i have a choice -

I have a small space to do my box in -

12" high x 21.25" deep x 36" wide (42" wide if i went sealed but ported is more efficient)

I have 1 of 2 choices-

be more efficient and run 3-4 10" Icons or Fi's ported in a 3 cuft box off of 2kw, 1 battery up front.

or...

be more power hungry and run 2-3 10" subs ported in 2.7 cuft box off of 3-3.5kw with 5 HC600s (gotta go with small batts due to space)

See the dilemma. The first choice is a LOT more efficient, less cost. 2nd choice is louder and about $765 extra

reason i post is because i have a choice -

I have a small space to do my box in -

12" high x 21.25" deep x 36" wide (42" wide if i went sealed but ported is more efficient)

I have 1 of 2 choices-

be more efficient and run 3-4 10" Icons or Fi's ported in a 3 cuft box off of 2kw, 1 battery up front.

or...

be more power hungry and run 2-3 10" subs ported in 2.7 cuft box off of 3-3.5kw with 5 HC600s (gotta go with small batts due to space)

See the dilemma. The first choice is a LOT more efficient, less cost. 2nd choice is louder and about $765 extra

so im guessing that your intrested in running the saz 3000d?

i dont think you need 5-6 HC600s..... i think you could get away with running 2 or 3 of the HC600s and one red top or yellow under the hood.

but maybe im wrong... who knows

:2girls: <!~~~ thats sick Edited by bigjon

i throw the sundown as an option. According to Kinetik, with that amount of batt plus whats up front, i could run 5,000w of power under their recommendation. I say 5 hc600s because ae small enough to fit the width of my car.

I really am somewhat lost on which design to go with here.

It's for a scion tc so it'll be ridiculously loud.

I did have 1 AQ 15 sealed(even though i wasnt suppose to) off of 600w actual power and that thing was loud but i know i can do better, i just dont wanna make the wrong choice.

Edited by shizzzon

i throw the sundown as an option. According to Kinetik, with that amount of batt plus whats up front, i could run 5,000w of power under their recommendation. I say 5 hc600s because ae small enough to fit the width of my car.

I really am somewhat lost on which design to go with here.

It's for a scion tc so it'll be ridiculously loud.

I did have 1 AQ 15 sealed(even though i wasnt suppose to) off of 600w actual power and that thing was loud but i know i can do better, i just dont wanna make the wrong choice.

im sorry you can run 5k off of 5 of the cap killers plus whats up front?

or you can run 5k off 3 cap killers and plus whats up front?

you said you were gonna run icons?

ok, if i went with the more efficient choice off of 2kw, then Icons.

If i went with more aggressive power, Fi BLs

ok, if i went with the more efficient choice off of 2kw, then Icons.

If i went with more aggressive power, Fi BLs

lets see what johhne says,

i like the bls... but i have seen vid of icons throwing down...

yea, this is a tough one for me.

The icons will have more volume, = more efficient.

The BLs will be right in the middle of their recommended enclosure but are given more power.

The icons will actually be in about 3.3 cubes, not 3. Because the power given to the icons would be far less than for the BL choice, there would be less turbulence, meaning smaller port area, smaller displacement.

I glanced over and didn't really see it.. what is your ultimate goal? Loud street beater? Something that sounds damn good doing it?

yes, loud street beater.

I've never ran Sq subs, i've heard them but particularly like loud better, but loud also involves being in the right enclosure as well.

I went back over by drawings and came up with these 2 volume choices -

3 10" Icons in a 3.2 cu ft box ported at 32hz 2kw of power, HO alt, 1 HC1800 as starting battery

or

3 10" Fi BLs in a 2.6 cu ft box ported at 33hz 3-4kw of power, HO alt, HC1800 + up to 5 HC600s

This is also a money thing too.

Play smart, not stupid.

The 2nd choice would run an extra $1,500.

I just don't know if it would be that much potentially noticeable to the ear.

I don't know how well the BLs can perform in 0.86 cubes per driver. As you can see, i want it to drop low so it would still have to be able to drop in that small of a box.

In past experiences, i've been happy with metered power between 25-31hz as low as 129db in cabin reading. Although my last car i had, i did 144.3 at 31hz, outlaw on the dash. That was wicked bass.

The difference in setup-

1 15, same 15 just different box

131.2 db recorded at 31 hz in a sealed box

144.3 db recorded at 31 hz in an 8cuft box ported

both off same amp. BIG difference.

I will always stay ported, i like it loud at the low end.

I know the Icons can get deep in that design i laid out, just don't know if the BLs can in that box

32hz should kick you right in the ass.

Give the ICON's a shot.. If you need more proof, Mark just posted a video of what 4 12's can do off of 3kW.