Sign in to follow this  
Jpm4536

Help with home audio setup.....

Ok well i need suggestions for a home audio setup for my room.... Once i get a little money i might re-do it.... I have an older (maybe 8-10 years old) Technics reciever and it is fine so i don't see any reason to get rid of it... I also have some jbl speakers from a Home-Theatre-In-The-Box type thing we bought a while back... There is a KLH sub in my room too that sucks pretty bad and would be the first thing to go.... It has a 125 watt plate amp on it but not sure how true that rating it, although i do believe it is rms.... My budget is $300 bucks for a subwoofer amp.... How much would a decent 500 watt RMS amp cost and would it be a direct hookup to where my powered sub right now is? I would build a new box and buy a sub to match whatever amp i buy... I havent really found many sites with home audio amps other than PE and Madisound and im not really sure which ones are decent and which ones aren't.... Also, is there any way to hook my ipod up to my HT? I really would like to listen to more music on it than what is on the radio.... It doesn't have a cd player hooked up to it which i will put on soon but i would still like to use my ipod and would rather use the jack in the bottom than the aux output cause it sounds worse.... Any help is appreciated.... Also, im not looking for suggestions on buying a new reciever or new speakers right now so don't bother, cause i don't have the money even if i wanted to redo them and they perform fine for me....

All of the PE amps are quality pieces of equipment. If you go with the BASH500, you will need to modify the subsonic filter on it. For some odd reason, it comes from the factory set at 30 hz. That's way too high for home theater use. Other amps are available from O Audio and Rythmik Audio. Both are great performers and it really depends on your sub goals as to which one fits your needs. If you are really ambitious then there are a few pro style amps available for $300. I'm using a Behringer EP-2500 that I got on sale from Guitar Center for $275 shipped.

Also, is there any way to hook my ipod up to my HT? I really would like to listen to more music on it than what is on the radio.... It doesn't have a cd player hooked up to it which i will put on soon but i would still like to use my ipod and would rather use the jack in the bottom than the aux output cause it sounds worse.... Any help is appreciated....
I'm not familiar with the outputs on an iPod but there is bound to be a line level output somewhere. What inputs does your Technics receiver have? If you don't have enough inputs, then a simple switch box from Wal-Mart can solve that.

-Robert

If anything, I would replace those HTIB speakers before the sub.

I don't really have any problem with the speakers right now as much as i do with the sub.... I only have money to do one right now and would rather go with the sub.... I will eventually replace the speakers but i might just wait till one goes bad or something... The sub is definitely the weak point of the system... The speakers came in a 800 dollar speaker setup which i know isn't a whole lot but they cant be just complete crap.... It was front two speakers, center channel, rear surround speakers, and a powered sub setup.... I would just like to replace the sub right now since it is the most noticeable weakness...

I'm with Jim, your sub is the least of your worries; however, it is your money but a budget would be helpful. Not just for the amp, but for the sub, amp, and materials.