Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Fi 15" BTL options and thermal q's

Been debatin on 3 10" bls or 1 15" BTL off of 4Kw.

I'm thinkin about goin with 1 15" BTL so i got some questions.

What options do i need exactly for the following scenario? -

It's for daily, tuned to 33hz, running off of 4kw of power.

No SPL but i will be playing, sometimes, bass tracks for show off purposes.

Absolutely no clipping guaranteed.

Let me know if this is correct or if i should change\add something-

Cooling, HIXMcoil, 3rd mag(do i need?), Daily.

Can the BTL take 4KW daily? I know Meade does it but is it still safe in Fi's eyes?

And i would like a discussion on the cooling option.

It states not to get it if used for SPL. Can someone please define what specifically is implied there?

There is less motor strength there, that's the only thing i know... Is there a new power handling limit involved? What is determined to be SPL? Constant test tones? including varying tones?

I'm trying to determine the effects of a 15" BTL of 4KW using bass tracks. SPL comp setups may induce clipping into their run but this is not the purpose for this setup if that is what is implied....

Any info on all this?

you defintly need all of the options if you plan on using 4kw and a huge electrical system backbone. the reason they say not to get cooling if your using it for SPL scenarios is because it machines cooling channels into the motor there fore losing motor mass there fore losing acceleration and power. but you NEED that cooling if its daily, you can get by without the cooling if used for competition because its just short periods of time and you get the added motor mass

When you say lose acceleration and power... you are gonna have to talk to me like i'm a baby because i have never been serious in SPL comps so the anything related terminology-wise is just bla bla bla to me.

Break it down for me, please. I know it loses motor mass but i dont know why that's bad and what happens with less motor mass. I know u said lose acceleration and power but you gotta break it down for me.

You lose Bl strength with the daily gap and the cooling option, so all else being the same, you lose output.

I have gone from MT's to BTL's with the cooling and daily options (pretty much like going from SPL option with no cooling to daily option with cooling). Lost a little over a dB on the meter, but could not tell any difference playing music. Cooling is night and day difference if you play at high power for any length of time. MT's were always getting hot and stinking. BLT's with cooling would take the power all day long :D

Brian

ok, i understand that now, cool.

Now onto the final questions, hehe.

So i can run up to 4,000w of capable power to just 1 15 and it wants it... that's awesome.

Comparison time -

3.8 cubes NET tuned to 32hz.

My options are 3 10" BLs or 1 15" BTL.

Now, i'm pretty sure 3 10s may exceed in that installation but if i feel that i do not want to go that route, you think 1 15" BTL in 3.8 NET is optimal enough for 4Kw? I believe that since i am giving it more power than usual that the box size should be a little on the smaller side, correct?

The only true comparison is, there shouldn't be a noticeable difference between those 2 choices by ear correct? or which of the 2 would you go with if u were doing this?

I love both setups, just cant decide.

Ok, i just got done doin some more research over at DbDrag's site about the BTL's and readin some advice competitors were giving to people running it daily.

The box i'll have is 3.8 Net which actually should do great!

Here's the kicker - I'm in a hatch and i'm going to be building this box different than what i suppose to for a hatch. I know i'm going to lose some low bass output to the ear but this shouls still be hella loud-

3.8cubes Net @33hz

Sub facing up towards glass, dual vents, one running along each side and end flush with the box pointing to the front of the car. The vents need to be over 30" a piece, that's why they are being wrapped around the box.

I've done port forward setups before, just not any where the sub was facing up.

I got some test boxes that a 15" BTL can fit in so i might do some testing once i order it to see.

And yea, i think i'm gonna go with the BTL, that monster needs to be in my car.

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes...so long as your careful you wont have any problems, but remember...there isn't a warranty if you burn the coil up :).

Thanks!

-Nick

I know why coils burn, :)

But in the unlikely event anyway, they can still be reconed for a price so i'm not worried.

Ps - when i was new to car audio several yrs ago, i set a sub on fire, haha, never thought it was possible. I know now and still there are a lot of people i tell that to and they don't believe that it's possible.

Sign in to follow this