Philanthro

15" Fi SSD vs SSA Icon 15"

I'm looking to get either a Fi SSD 15, or an SSA Icon 15...

Which ever one I get will be in a ported enclosure, tuned to ~30hz.

What are the pros/cons for each of these subs, and how do they differ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

They're almost the same sub as far as stats go. I've never heard an SSD, but I can vouch that the ICON is going to try and rip your face off at 30hz.

Alright, thanks for the help so far. I'm coming from a 12" Alpine Type R, and I'm not really happy with the SPL. When I came across these, I realized how much better there is out there for reasonable pricing (rather than a $1000+ JL W7, which apparently these subs will kill anyway).

Unfortunately, I will only be able to power these with 500-600 watts RMS for a while...

A couple other things that I'm curious about... On the Fi, there are a few options that I don't understand. What is the advantage of the copper coil, or the flatwind coil?

And coming from what you described above, what is the difference in the coils between these two subwoofers. Feel free to get technical if you want.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Edited by Philanthro

Check out the FI section of this forum, and it tells you what each option does.

Aright, I found that section. Thanks.

Anyone got any info on the difference between the coils on these subs, or any other differences I should be aware of?

Flat wind is more thermal power handling, Copper is more toward SQ.

Alright, I will get the copper, since I'm not going to be feeding these more than 1kW ever...

I'm still not clear on the difference on the Icon and the SSD. Someone mentioned the coils being different. Is this why the Icon is ~$60 more?

The ICON has a stiffer spider than the SSD and includes a 3" Copper Coil already. The ICON also has a triple slug motor where the SSD has a double. There isn't anyway in hell you can bottom an ICON out.

The ICON has a stiffer spider than the SSD and includes a 3" Copper Coil already. The ICON also has a triple slug motor where the SSD has a double. There isn't anyway in hell you can bottom an ICON out.

Thanks for the clarification. All of those are good things to know.

Since I will be running only 600 watts RMS for the first several months, do you think the SSD would do more with the amount of power I have, since the spider isn't as stiff?

Thanks.

The spider on the ICON loosens up quite a bit. Then it gets really loud and low.

Either one will be ok with that power as long as you don't clip it.

The spider on the ICON loosens up quite a bit. Then it gets really loud and low.

Either one will be ok with that power as long as you don't clip it.

Is it generally pretty obvious when you are sending a clipped signal to a sub? What I mean by this is can you hear the distortion? Because my old Kicker ZX400.1 would seem to just stop getting louder after about 1/2 gain, but raising it from 1/2 to full didn't make a distorted sound, it sounded like nothing changed.

I don't have an oscilloscope, so I don't know how else I can properly set the gains. Everyone here says that DMM won't do the job right.

The DMM won't show the clipping, it'll still measure voltage fine. You should be able to hear clipping, unless you've got ears with downs syndrome. :joshers3:

The DMM won't show the clipping, it'll still measure voltage fine. You should be able to hear clipping, unless you've got ears with downs syndrome. :joshers3:

Alright, thanks for the help.

Do you know why my Kicker just stopped increasing its output, rather than putting out a clipped signal. Do they have some sort of anti-clip feature built in?

it's easily possible that you had your sub in a ported box with high group delay. Clipping sent to that type of install would be hard to hear.

Also, some amp companies seem to have glorified gains. For example, my Orion 2500D, seems to reach near full gain at less then 1/3 on the knob.

it's easily possible that you had your sub in a ported box with high group delay. Clipping sent to that type of install would be hard to hear.

I had it running a Type R, and it was in a sealed box.