blkmrideon22s

puting a speaker box together

i just had my wood cut from lowes (they did a bad job cutting) and i was wonder what size screws should i use to put the together? i dont have a router so what else could i use to cut the hole out for my sub? i have some titebond wood glue and some heavy duty liquid nails here.

You can use a jigsaw to cut the holes.

You can use a jigsaw to cut the holes.

yep, and 1 5/8" drywall screws and the titebond

make sure you pre drill ( pilot ) your screw holes and its always nice to use a countersink bit ( i acually use the tapered drill bit with countersink ). with your jig saw to cut out holes make sure you have a good FINE TOOTH BLADE. the Fine Tooth is a little slower, but the cuts are much more accurate. obviously a router with a jig is ideal, but not everybody has one. DON'T RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can i use window and door silicone sealant in my box?

The white stuff? Acrylic silicon? That's what I use. It works great. Just make sure to spread the bead with your finger to seal all possible holes.

can i use window and door silicone sealant in my box?

The white stuff? Acrylic silicon? That's what I use. It works great. Just make sure to spread the bead with your finger to seal all possible holes.

They also make a tool to get the corners really good, But as you said your finger still works the best.

I always use Titebond glue to glue the pieces together and Liquid Nails as the sealer around all adjacent pieces.

When using a jigsaw, just drill a hole somewhere to get the Jigsaw started.

if you don't have a compass large enough to draw the circle cutout diameter, then do the following-

Take a flat, narrow straight piece of wood and measure the radius out on this piece of wood from point A(which is 0) to point B(which is the radius of your circle). Then take and drill 2 small holes at point A and point B. Take a pencil and run it through point B, take something sharp and run it through point A.

That way it is now a 1 size compass specifically just for your project.

If you do it right, the pencil and the sharp item that you choose to run through the drilled holes should fit in there pretty tight so it doesn't change angle while drawing.

I've had to do this many times with 15s.

And depending on how much pressure and care you put into the box depends on what else to do to it.

You may want to put resin everywhere on the inside to seal up the MDF.

When securing the subwoofer to the box, you may want to use Hurricane Nuts and bolts to hold the sub down.

You may need to brace your box every 12-16" if there is no brace present.

When bracing, you may want to use bracing to join ALL adjacent pieces together on top and\or bottom and bracing 12-16" on every wall including Baffle near the middle of the walls. All-thread works great. If you can join all the Allthread runs in all directions in one central point, that's a tight brace.

You may want to have all corners in your box rounded or cut some scrap pieces and make all corners 45 degrees. Same goes with port if using slot port.

If more serious, you may want to use 2-8 sheets of MDF for your baffle depending on pressure and competition you plan on doing.

You may also want to, for the walls, use 2 sheets and leave a 1-2" gap in the middle and fill the gap with Sand or more extreme, with concrete. Do this for all walls, top and bottom.

Choose your goal and go for it.