Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Plans for the VW

So, I have a 2006 VW GTI that needs a system.

Plans, so far, as follows:

Dynavox 8" Midbass driver (~60 - ~250 Hz)*

DLS Iridium IR3 midrange (~375 - ~3000 hz)

DLS Iridium IR1 tweeter (~3000 Hz and up)

* I may opt to use Morel HU9.1s or a VIFA 8s -- still brain storming here. Has to be shallow at no more than 3.5" depth so I'm a bit limited.

Crossover points subject to adjustment. Slopes will likely be as follows:

Dyanvox - 24 dB HP / 12 dB LP

DLS IR3 - 36 dB HP / 12 dB LP

DLS IR1 - 12 dB HP

Subject to tuning.

The factory passive in the IR3 set crosses the IR3 in the 300s with a lower slope... I think it'll play at 375 just fine with such a steep slope. I'll further wipe away low-end from it by dropping all the EQ settings in the RF 3sixt.2 to -10 dB under 200 Hz. That should keep it clean on the low end =)

The main reason for the low crossover point is that the midbass is by the sides of your body in the GTI. I'll be using time delay but I do want to keep this crossover frequency pretty low so I don't pull the stage too far back.

Sub stage is pending... I may be running a prototype 12" woofer for a while. Or several E8s. Read below... it will be swappable, no fixed sub install in the back.

Front stage will receive two SAX-100.4s for power -- one bridged on the mid-bass and one in 4-channel mode on the midrange and tweeters.

Sub stage will probably use a 3000D so I have the ability to "hot swap" to whatever sub setup I may be testing at the time. I want it to be flexible so I can test prototypes and maybe even drop in an SPL box for a weekend show.

One other random thought... I will be investigating running subs in the rear panels so I can have some form of bass ready to go at all times in case I remove the sub setup in the back for some reason. I think I could glass in a ported box for 8s behind the factory panels -- or maybe just IB.

As for the source unit I'll be using the factory 6-disc changer that plays MP3s as well -- I have a 3sixty.2 that I'll be using to convert the signal.

Most of the wiring is from KnuKonceptz!

Sounds like a great plan, I like the Morel idea. What about some SD-1v2's?

Sounds like a great plan, I like the Morel idea. What about some SD-1v2's?

I have a box for them too, I'll be alternating on the subs -- that'll be in flux most of the time due to testing.

SD-1 v.2s won't fit up front either :)

Sounds like a very nice plan. How will you be mounting the active setup in the front ? Mid bass in kick panels mid range in the doors and tweet in the door also ? I've always wanted to tinker with a nice active setup :) Jacob I think your a bad influence on my wallet. I would like to see some pics when you get all of it installed for sure.

Sounds like a very nice plan. How will you be mounting the active setup in the front ? Mid bass in kick panels mid range in the doors and tweet in the door also ? I've always wanted to tinker with a nice active setup :) Jacob I think your a bad influence on my wallet. I would like to see some pics when you get all of it installed for sure.

I am actually going all factory locations!

The VW has a midbass in the door about half way back on the panel (as I discussed above I'll need a low LP crossover to make it work). It then has a midrange up higher and forward in the door, and then a tweeter in the upper corner of the door by the window.

I did kick panels once in a car and I can't stand it as far as driving comfort. Sounds great... but I do drive alot so no go for me. I used a factory position setup in my BMW 325i (had this about 2 years ago) and it sounded fantastic with some help from the 3Sixty.2 -- I used the DLS iridium speakers in that car as well, albeit with a DLS Iridium 6" midbass.

One other random thought... I will be investigating running subs in the rear panels so I can have some form of bass ready to go at all times in case I remove the sub setup in the back for some reason. I think I could glass in a ported box for 8s behind the factory panels -- or maybe just IB.

I am interested in this - will definitely be watching how you work this out!

Sounds like a great plan so far.

I am interested in this - will definitely be watching how you work this out!

Sounds like a great plan so far.

Pending some measurements, of course. It would be really cool if it works out -- but I may be limited to a 6.5" driver in that spot due to diameter constraints. I suppose time will tell when I get it taken apart!

You know I've honestly never considered the RF 3sixty.2 as an option for equalization but I think I'll look more into this im currently only going to run my components passive.

You know I've honestly never considered the RF 3sixty.2 as an option for equalization but I think I'll look more into this im currently only going to run my components passive.

It's extremely flexible... also offers killer crossovers and time alignment. I use them in my setups even when I have an after market HU!

The .2 would be a bit overkill for a passive 2-way system. Try the .1 instead.

well, no I didn't mean Jacob... the other guy that asked about the threesixty.

Jacob needs the flexibility of the .2

hey jacob. id recommend a different route for midbass. look into dynaudio 8's or hybrid legatia 8's. both have killer midbass response and take buttloads of power. the hybrid is more suited for IB over the Dynaudio and im sure scott will work with you for everything u need to cover.

I running the hybrid l4's and their bandwidth extentesion from 300 - 6khz is unreal. it opens up so much bottum end extension and top end sparkle. i know his speakers are top notch and dynaudio has proved themselves i would say =].

Cant go wrong with either. both are proven successes.

but good setup =]

and i think your on par with a really solid crossover and freq selection. very similar to what i ran. sounded great. but my system is still undergoing restoration.

Mike-

I am pumped to see this one in progress.

My only question is about the ThreeSixty. I have never had any experience with them but from what i have heard they are a phenomenal piece of equipment. What i want to know is how do you make all the adjustments wit hit? Does it interface through a computer?

Mike,

I am actually a believer in lower Qts drivers for a door application -- a door isn't a true IB application and the cabin is really small compared to a home IB setup with a room. The best midbass driver I've heard was the Adire Koda -- low Qts driver :)

I've talked to Dan Wiggins about this on several occasions. I'd rather the Morel over the Dynavox as the Dynavox Qts is a bit higher than what I'm looking for -- I almost won them at a good price on e-bay so I had considered them anyway.

I had considered the Dyns as well -- I'm not quite settled on the mid-bass.

Also -- the Hybrid Audio 8" is too deep for me anyway.

---

todd,

You can interface with a PDA or a Laptop.

yea if kodas popped up again id snag a pair over any other midbass. however im running those 90$ pair of id cx64 similar type of drivers that hessdawg is selling and to be honest. they're pretty good midbass units.

Mike,

I am actually a believer in lower Qts drivers for a door application -- a door isn't a true IB application and the cabin is really small compared to a home IB setup with a room. The best midbass driver I've heard was the Adire Koda -- low Qts driver :)

I've talked to Dan Wiggins about this on several occasions. I'd rather the Morel over the Dynavox as the Dynavox Qts is a bit higher than what I'm looking for -- I almost won them at a good price on e-bay so I had considered them anyway.

I had considered the Dyns as well -- I'm not quite settled on the mid-bass.

Also -- the Hybrid Audio 8" is too deep for me anyway.

---

todd,

You can interface with a PDA or a Laptop.

I know a guy, that has a design that might whoop that Koda's ass.

Wonder who that is? :peepwall:

Yes, someone may be prototyping a pretty solid and shallow midrange driver -- that is possible.

Yes, someone may be prototyping a pretty solid and shallow midrange driver -- that is possible.

hehe.

Sign in to follow this