stratusrt01

Initial SPL 12 impressions

Same box, 6th order bandpass, upped the power to a SAZ-3000d, and pulled a 146.2

Pretty impressed with this woofer, I'd put it against any other SPL woofer and it's very close to any of them. Add in the low price, and you've got a winner.

Was the 146.2 was in your friends truck Rich??? Either way 146 is damn loud :) Especially for one 12" :) Thats a resectable number even for multiple suub setups, hell just in general a 146 is loud as hell. I can't wait to see what I can pull off a SPL-15 in the back of my 89 CRX on a American bass xd3000. I'm guessing I should be able to tickle to 50's :) Either way looking forward to it.. Joe

Rich, how did it sound musically with that kind of power. I'm looking to put it in about 3.5@35 on 3000ish. (spl-15) Curios aas to daily use, I know its not a SQ sub :) but I've heard from a few people that it sounds pretty good. Thanks

Edited by Breakjunki

Great job on the #!

building a couple boxes today to try to squeeze everything I can out of it, but so far, I'm super impressed, especially given the price of this subwoofer. We've thrown 3400 clamped watts at it daily for over a week, and we can get it hot, but so far no smells or problems. We've absolutely beat the snot out of this woofer and it takes it like a champ.

Best score so far on 3400 clamped watts in my truck: 148.7.....

So far, I can't find anything I don't like about the performance of the woofer, being SPL based. It has outclassed the DD 9512 in every aspect so far. We're going to put more power to it tomorrow, and see how it does in a pure, high power burp situation.

After testing is complete, this is a woofer that I would like to hang on to, and sell the Digital Designs woofer. I have found a home for this one, and I will probably order a 15 in the near future for another project.

Edited by stratusrt01

Was the 146.2 was in your friends truck Rich??? Either way 146 is damn loud :) Especially for one 12" :) Thats a resectable number even for multiple suub setups, hell just in general a 146 is loud as hell. I can't wait to see what I can pull off a SPL-15 in the back of my 89 CRX on a American bass xd3000. I'm guessing I should be able to tickle to 50's :) Either way looking forward to it.. Joe

Rich, how did it sound musically with that kind of power. I'm looking to put it in about 3.5@35 on 3000ish. (spl-15) Curios aas to daily use, I know its not a SQ sub :) but I've heard from a few people that it sounds pretty good. Thanks

yes, the 146 was in my friend's truck, tuned for daily, this wasn't a burp box.

On music, there's only one word to describe it: violent!!!!!!! It doesn't sound bad at all, being an SPL woofer, but it's definately not an SQ sub, you can tell that as soon as you look at it. I would run it daily on 3k, but would be nice to it on that power daily. So far, it seems to like larger boxes than most SPL subs also. So far, we've put the 12 in 2.5 and 3.4 cubic ft boxes, and it was louder in the 3.4 cubic ft box. We'll see if that changes when we get about double rms power on it though, it may need the smaller box then.

Mach5 - 1

DD - 0.

Oh man now I really can't wait for my 15" SPL fing05.gif. Glad I hopped on that preorder when I did. Thanks for the subjective reviews and test results!

Edited by DownSouth954

building a couple boxes today to try to squeeze everything I can out of it, but so far, I'm super impressed, especially given the price of this subwoofer. We've thrown 3400 clamped watts at it daily for over a week, and we can get it hot, but so far no smells or problems. We've absolutely beat the snot out of this woofer and it takes it like a champ.

Best score so far on 3400 clamped watts in my truck: 148.7.....

So far, I can't find anything I don't like about the performance of the woofer, being SPL based. It has outclassed the DD 9512 in every aspect so far. We're going to put more power to it tomorrow, and see how it does in a pure, high power burp situation.

After testing is complete, this is a woofer that I would like to hang on to, and sell the Digital Designs woofer. I have found a home for this one, and I will probably order a 15 in the near future for another project.

brings a tear to my eyes :drink40:

You should post this stuff on CCA Dennis - see what kind of <bashing> responses you get.. :D

interesting....146 on a single 12 :foshizzle::wackit3:

148.7 sir

that was in the bandpass of my truck, so I wouldn't expect too many people to be able to duplicate that number. The next round of testing that started tonight will show more realistic numbers for most people.

How do the Mach 5 SPLs compare to the Nightshades? I know the Nightshades cost more and thus are probably slightly louder, just curious as to the difference.

How do the Mach 5 SPLs compare to the Nightshades? I know the Nightshades cost more and thus are probably slightly louder, just curious as to the difference.

I haven't done a comparison to the 12" Nightshade yet, but my suspicions would be that the Mach 5 would be a hair louder on the meter, but the Nightshades seem to sound better. But again, that's just speculation.

You should post this stuff on CCA Dennis - see what kind of <bashing> responses you get.. :D

LOL those guys at CCA are douches. I got perma-banned for mocking the east, and it wasn't even on CCA!! It was on CA.COM!!!

Mach5 - 1

DD - 0.

Well its Mach 5- 2, DD- 0 because in my review i posted on here i said that the Mach 5 was more musical and better sounding alaround then the 9512f I had. Now that the sub is broke in it sounds very good for a SPL sub.

The fan boys are not going to like that. ;)

nope, the fanboys will not like it, probly just call it a lie :D

soo..where do we get the calvin mach 5 sticker where hes pissin on DD;)

Just bumping this as Stratus is doing more testing with it this weekend...

:)