Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Large band EQs

I've been doin a little research so stop me if i'm wrong.

I need an EQ, large band, so that when i setup my amps, i can get the amplitude on as many frequencies as possible to their max potential without clipping because the output power on all frequencies is not the same...

Ok, so, i found out that graphic vs parametric... parametric eq is better for this because of it's larger bandwidth.

So, this is the only thing i have came up with, let me know what u think if it'll work for me or anything else you can think of-

Audiocontrol DQS - it has 30band but do not know if it's graphic or parametric...

Audiocontrol DQXS - it has, hehe, 142! I dont think it matters what type of eq this is, hehe.

I know the DQXS will work but that's my fallback option due to how expensive it is.

I'm not sure what your goal is with the EQ. It sounds like you have the wrong idea about what it will and won't do for you.

The DQS and the DQXS have the same number of bands, the DQXS just has a crossover built in and allows for equalization of each set of outputs independently. Since you have a crossover active on the outputs eliminating some of the frequencies, a lot of the bands per output will be wasted.

Both of them are graphic. You can't adjust frequency of the bands or the Q of the boost or cut.

Another thing, if you have a flat input the output power of your amplifiers should be the same at all frequencies unless you have some serious issues with your amplifier. Of course once you put a load on them this will all change, but it is determined by the load impedance and not the output power of the amplifier.

Past amps I've had, according to o-scope, if I max one frequency out, maybe about 15hz below that, its not so if I increase the gain to get it to get max clean power, other frequencies above will clip.

That's why a lot of amps I've used will even say next to freq response +- 3db because it varies.

The eq is not to be set by rta for sq, but for maximum clean output power for low, mid and high range for lsq.

I told you before, cutting frequencies out like that is going to sound horrible. It won't be anywhere near "SQL"

I need an EQ, large band, so that when i setup my amps, i can get the amplitude on as many frequencies as possible to their max potential without clipping because the output power on all frequencies is not the same...

Then your amp is broken.

Even with the SET's, I'm very close to flat...

Oh, I'm close as well.

I'm thinkin what it is is alpine units bass control is not a crossover but a center frequency and you can adjust freq and bandwidth.

What I have set is +2 on both bass and treble with highest bandwidth possible.

So... I believe is slowly sloping the frequency range.

I had to have it set like that with the last amps I had or it wouldn't get full clean power without a little help.

If my next amps are like that, I'll just get a line driver and rway x-over since I need that anyway

what did you just try to tell us?

haha, i speak in tongue.

Briefly- my frequency response may not be flat because there is a slight boost in the middle of the range from my last amp setup i had.

Possible reason that other frequencies may have been lower...

So, to sum it up even brieflier(haha), wait til i get my amp replacement before i restart a possible pre-complaint on something i havent tested for a new setup.

Man, i bet that just made ya shake your head with a 7 sec headache.

well this was the last install scenario-

my HU has 4v preouts.

I had this amp that was suppose to go up to 8v...

for some reason, on the o-scope, i ended up maxing out the gain and the wave STILL wasn't clipped yet! I was on 23\35 on the volume. I did not want to go any higher because it took forever to turn up.

so i ended up boosting the bass a little so i could back the gain back down...

Evidentally, when the boost starts sloping down in both directions, thats where some frequencies were not set equally.

I am willing to bet that is what happened. So, i might not need an EQ for me at all.

But, wont know until i get my new amps in.

I got a new head unit and i can turn volume up easier. Still Alpine but $600 more of it, hehe

W205 right?

Get the PXA-H701 if you want a good EQ. Probably overkill, but you might as well.

And if you still don't have enough gain, get a line driver. Or a more efficient amplifier.

Your solution is really, really, really simple. The bass boost is effing things up DON'T use it.

Anyone remember the 31 band mono ID rack EQ's? The one car they were in, they did wonders when I heard them. Always wanted them, but since then HU EQ's have improved greatly.

23/35 is not very far up on the volume knob and how do you mean it took "forever" to turn up. It takes me about 1 sec to go from 0 to 30/35. The fact that the amp could handle an 8V input has no bearing on the matter and the fact that the output wasn't clipping is a good thing. By adding bass boost at the HU you are creating an artificial hump in the response and boosting all the other freqs to compensate is about the worst idea there is. If you want more output, turn up the volume, that's why it's there. If you're not haveing noise issues and the amp isn't clipping, there's no problem with having hte gain maxed either. It sounds like you don't fully understand how to une the equipment that you have, adding another piece of infinitely more complex equipment is going to be a step in the wrong direction.

Anyone remember the 31 band mono ID rack EQ's? The one car they were in, they did wonders when I heard them. Always wanted them, but since then HU EQ's have improved greatly.

There was a crossover that went with it, too. Then there were the guys with the modded Alesis and Berringer studio units...

that was the last install.

The HU i got now is different. I had a temporary amp setup on it and it was a lot better, the HU, not the amp. It must have been my HU last time not giving out enough preout.